Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Irvine vs Fresno
Irvine 28 80.00%
Fresno 7 20.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2021, 10:07 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,977,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
These two cities have literally nothing in common other than both being in California.
That's not true, but even if it were, so what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2021, 10:26 AM

8,333 posts, read 5,488,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
That's not true, but even if it were, so what?
Yeah, its pretty well true.

Because it then becomes a preference poll more so than being able to compare two similar places.

Old 09-15-2021, 11:44 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,136 times
Very odd poll? One is a standalone city, and one is “suburb” of Los Angeles. A better matchup would be Fresno vs Bakersfield.

Old 09-15-2021, 01:17 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,977,985 times
Quote:
Yeah, its pretty well true.

Because it then becomes a preference poll more so than being able to compare two similar places.
I agree that they’re very different but to suggest that they “literally have nothing in common” is hyperbole. They both have California universities as one example. They’re more alike than LA and NYC or any number of previous comparisons in this forum. All of these polls are personal preference. I’m not understanding that objection. If it weren’t preference it would be all statistics and no need for a poll.

Old 09-15-2021, 01:26 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
You could easily say that Costa Mesa, Santa Ana, Tustin, Fountain Valley, Laguna Beach are satellite cities of Irvine. For example, I know a UC Irvine professor who lives in Laguna Beach.
No, I don't think you can say that. It would be an unusual perspective, considering that all of those other cities are considerably older than Irvine. I would venture to say a large percentage of UCI professors don't live in Irvine, but that doesn't make their cities "satellites," it just means that Orange County is so densely built up that the cities are pressed up against each other with no breaks in between. It doesn't really matter which city you live in, as long as your commute is not too long.

Heck, I'd bet most UCI professors would choose Laguna Beach over Irvine, if they could afford it, but most can't.

I would not be surprised if some people who have moved to Orange County in, say the past 15 years, think of Irvine as the "center" as well as the be-all and end-all. When you get to comparing Irvine to Laguna Beach, Newport Beach, etc., there is a new money vs. old money factor there too. But they're all, really, suburbs of greater Los Angeles.

Last edited by saibot; 09-15-2021 at 02:02 PM..

Old 09-15-2021, 02:19 PM

6,892 posts, read 8,265,684 times
^ None of that makes any sense especially in comparison to the Fresno area. The age of the cities has little to with it in this context as well. Also, its not like Irvine is only 10 years old. Heck, UC Irvine as been a college 56 years, going on two, three generations.

The fact is the surrounding cities around Irvine are all close to each other and there can be considerable interaction between them all especially considering Irvine is major employer for the immediate region.

The area and density surrounding UC Irvine is not much different than the UCLA area just 25 years ago.

Old 09-15-2021, 02:27 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
The fact is the surrounding cities around Irvine are all close to each other and there can be considerable interaction between them all especially considering Irvine is major employer for the immediate region.
That's what I said. And the age is relevant because it's hard to fathom that other cities are "satellites" of a city which wasn't even around for decades after the others were incorporated. Laguna Beach and Santa Ana satellites of Irvine? I don't think so.

Old 09-15-2021, 02:42 PM

4,606 posts, read 2,994,775 times
Quote:
These two cities have literally nothing in common other than both being in California.
Indeed, they're in different Californias... one is a planned community in OC,
the other is the hub of the San Joaquin Valley, hence one of the state's major ag cities
(perhaps the leading one).

Fresno's "rivals" would be Bakersfield and Sacramento.
Irvine's could be Palo Alto, Walnut Creek, etc.

Old 09-17-2021, 02:45 PM

11,790 posts, read 7,999,289 times
Irvine in a land slide.

Old 09-17-2021, 04:47 PM

6,502 posts, read 7,530,019 times
Quote:
You could easily say that Costa Mesa, Santa Ana, Tustin, Fountain Valley, Laguana Beach are satellite cities of Irvine. For example, I know a UC Irvine professor who lives in Laguna Beach.
What's the "capital" city of OC?

Driving down from LA you'd think its Santa Ana because that's what the freeway signs read for 5 South (should say San Diego in my opinion).

Anaheim is the most well known because of their sports teams and Disney Land.

Irvine is the most populated and only just recently.

I won't knock on Fresno too bad either because it offers affordable NEW housing for the state of CA. My aunt lives there in a new neighborhood and I visit often, lots of new sub divisions in Fresno. Plus, being one to two hours away from the coast and some of the best national forests (without traffic) has its perks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City