Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2021, 07:13 PM

663 posts, read 305,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Miami is smaller than Sf and Boston, 36 square miles.
SF 46.9 sq mi Miami 55.25

Then you have to nit-pic how much is water and that is the catch for Boston in the nic-pic. Now I realize why I used a rounded off 90 sq/mi for Boston.

Boston has an area of 89.63 square miles (232.1 km2)—48.4 square miles (125.4 km2) (54%) of land and 41.2 square miles (106.7 km2) (46%) of water.

You can play with land stats. Still in corrections we should say in city borders that Boston is just shy of 90 sq/mi and in land only 48 sq/ mi.

Lots to play the C-D game with I see. Guess you learn how some play. I'll assume your Miami and SF stats are land only minus water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2021, 08:56 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,814,374 times
Chicago's cheapness is a bit of a myth. I'll admit to being floored by condos selling in the iconic Marina City for less than $250k, like this: https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/30.../home/14100975

Until you realize the HOA fees are almost as high as the principal, and that property taxes alone are $400 a month.

Suddenly that $250k starts to look like a $500k mortgage when you add in the hidden fees. Not quite as jawdropping anymore.

This isn't even uncommon in Chicago. Have a look around the Loop. Immensely cheap housing with very high taxes and fees lurking just a layer below.

I mean, it's still a bargain relative to Boston, but Boston has the luxury of being a very desirable city with no areas of third-world poverty like South Side: https://www.niche.com/places-to-live...uffolk-ma/#map

Chicago: https://www.niche.com/places-to-live...o-cook-il/#map

Anything with a C or lower is how Niche classifies the ghetto.

Old 09-27-2021, 09:14 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Chicago's cheapness is a bit of a myth. I'll admit to being floored by condos selling in the iconic Marina City for less than $250k, like this: https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/30.../home/14100975

Until you realize the HOA fees are almost as high as the principal, and that property taxes alone are $400 a month.

Suddenly that $250k starts to look like a $500k mortgage when you add in the hidden fees. Not quite as jawdropping anymore.

This isn't even uncommon in Chicago. Have a look around the Loop. Immensely cheap housing with very high taxes and fees lurking just a layer below.

I mean, it's still a bargain relative to Boston, but Boston has the luxury of being a very desirable city with no areas of third-world poverty like South Side: https://www.niche.com/places-to-live...uffolk-ma/#map

Chicago: https://www.niche.com/places-to-live...o-cook-il/#map

Anything with a C or lower is how Niche classifies the ghetto.
I agree that there is a lot of smoke and mirrors with the whole Chicago being affordable thing. Condos are often reasonably priced but yes, those HOAs and taxes can hit you hard. And SFHs are very expensive in most of the desirable neighborhoods on the north and west sides. The ones that are more reasonable are in neighborhoods that are far flung, residential, not well connected to transit, and not great housing stock. Or they are quite simply unsafe. I do think there are a number of up and coming areas in Chicago where you can still get a SFH for a somewhat reasonable price.

Old 09-27-2021, 09:16 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,718,975 times
Three reasons:

#1 and most important....Boston has higher wages is more educated - 49% of metro has a degree vs. 39% of Chicago. Avg metro wages are nearly 30% higher than metro Chicago's and trail only the Bay Area and Metro NY.

2. Atlantic cuts off more land than Lake Michigan. Inexpensive NW Indiana suburbs are geographically in Cape Cod Bay if overlaid into Boston.

3. New England town development limits new construction in reasonably close in areas. Weston, Wayland, and Sudbury are just 15-20 miles from DT Boston with just 700-800 ppsm. Hingham, Cohasset, Scituate on the South Shore same thing.

Old 09-27-2021, 09:29 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Three reasons:

#1 and most important....Boston has higher wages is more educated - 49% of metro has a degree vs. 39% of Chicago. Avg metro wages are nearly 30% higher than metro Chicago's and trail only the Bay Area and Metro NY.

2. Atlantic cuts off more land than Lake Michigan. Inexpensive NW Indiana suburbs are geographically in Cape Cod Bay if overlaid into Boston.

3. New England town development limits new construction in reasonably close in areas. Weston, Wayland, and Sudbury are just 15-20 miles from DT Boston with just 700-800 ppsm. Hingham, Cohasset, Scituate on the South Shore same thing.
Avg wages are higher in NYC than Bos? Im not too sure about that

Old 09-28-2021, 06:05 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,911,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Avg wages are higher in NYC than Bos? Im not too sure about that
I believe it’s San Jose, SF, DC, Boston, and Seattle in that order. NY metro is below as far as median income, though as we all know, the top tier areas of NY MSA are higher than those in all other cities with the exception of SF and LA.

Old 09-28-2021, 06:11 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town View Post

Then you have to nit-pic how much is water and that is the catch for Boston in the nic-pic. Now I realize why I used a rounded off 90 sq/mi for Boston.

Boston has an area of 89.63 square miles (232.1 km2)—48.4 square miles (125.4 km2) (54%) of land and 41.2 square miles (106.7 km2) (46%) of water.

You can play with land stats. Still in corrections we should say in city borders that Boston is just shy of 90 sq/mi and in land only 48 sq/ mi.

Lots to play the C-D game with I see. Guess you learn how some play. I'll assume your Miami and SF stats are land only minus water.
Yeah because the Ocean is not very useful to build on

Old 09-28-2021, 06:28 AM

2,385 posts, read 2,339,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebestofeverything View Post
Boston is more expensive because it is more desirable (for all the reasons already mentioned in this thread) throughout the entire city. Little (if any part) of Boston is vacant or abandoned. Whereas in Chicago, only parts of it are desirable (including its wonderful core, northside and a few southside neighborhoods). Other parts are much less desirable and some neighborhoods frankly appear to be vacating with little to no replacement construction. Some of this reminds me of Detroit except I think Chicago does a better job of clearing vacant housing once it becomes an eyesore.
Even the core and northside are being infected with ghettoism or worse. I've thought about moving to Chicago but while you can find apts for cheap with utilities included($600 for studios), the out-of-control crime rate with an AG and judges that take an hands-off approach, a crazy sales tax, a grocery tax, just gives me pause. The rents in the good areas that aren't affected by the dregs of society are so out my price range they aren't that much higher than the good areas of Boston.

Speaking of Boston the wages in my industrial field are the same if not higher than Chicago. Less tax is taken out of my check. It's also just as dense and walkable. They just gotta fix the apt costs and do a better job on crime(still way better than Chicago).

Old 09-28-2021, 06:52 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:

36 Square miles is land. You grabbed the number including water for both Miami and Boston (initially)

No sane person would call that a nit pick...you're being odd.

Old 09-28-2021, 06:58 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:

Yeahh we dont use water lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City