Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro would you choose to live in?
Hampton Roads, VA 19 55.88%
Honolulu, HI 15 44.12%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 09:44 AM

136 posts, read 133,769 times

Advertisements

Which of these metros would you choose to live in given the option, and why?

Scenery/outdoor recreation:
Culture:
Education:
Economy:
Food:
Cost of living:
Crime:
Infrastructure/transportation:
Urbanity:
Desirable suburbs:
Climate:
Other:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2021, 11:51 AM

7 posts, read 6,309 times
Scenery/outdoor recreation: Honolulu
Culture: Honolulu
Education: Hampton Roads
Economy: Hampton Roads
Food: Honolulu
Cost of living: Hampton Roads
Crime: Honolulu
Infrastructure/transportation: Hampton Roads
Urbanity: Honolulu
Desirable suburbs: Hampton Roads
Climate: Honolulu
Other: Hampton Roads

I choose Hampton Roads easily because although there are lots of nice things about Honolulu, the fact it's on an island in the middle of the Pacific rules out any chance of me living there. It's too isolated from the rest of the country, which makes it hard to travel and raises the cost of living because everything has to be shipped in. Also there seems to be a lot of tension between the native Hawaiians and "Haoles" which I just wouldn't wanna deal with. Honolulu and Hawaii are great vacation destinations, but I couldn't see myself spending more than a week there at a time. Overall this is less about Hampton Roads being a good place for me (it's alright but I wouldn't wanna spend my life there) and more about Honolulu being the worst metro for me in the country.

Old 10-27-2021, 12:00 PM

3,447 posts, read 3,374,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenpoconnell View Post
Other: Hampton Roads

I choose Hampton Roads easily because although there are lots of nice things about Honolulu, the fact it's on an island in the middle of the Pacific rules out any chance of me living there. It's too isolated from the rest of the country, which makes it hard to travel and raises the cost of living because everything has to be shipped in. Also there seems to be a lot of tension between the native Hawaiians and "Haoles" which I just wouldn't wanna deal with. Honolulu and Hawaii are great vacation destinations, but I couldn't see myself spending more than a week there at a time. Overall this is less about Hampton Roads being a good place for me (it's alright but I wouldn't wanna spend my life there) and more about Honolulu being the worst metro for me in the country.
Honolulu is nice, but yeah like you I wouldn't want to deal with how isolated Honolulu is from the rest of the country. Which causes issues, especially inflated prices in stores for milk and other regular goods. I don't deny Honolulu isn't a bad metro to live in, either. Though holy crap, if you read up about the construction of that city's future light rail/subway system, they really have screwed up the construction of that project sadly. And as I remember, I think Norfolk already has some sort of operational light rail system.

Old 10-27-2021, 04:33 PM

23,534 posts, read 24,022,219 times
I picked Hampton Roads, but I love Honolulu. Honolulu is a bit too isolated (I’m sure some see it as an advantage, though) for my current situation. Maybe, after I retire??

Old 11-22-2021, 03:50 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Other: (traffic) Hampton Roads

I lived in Honolulu for 3.5 years and still own property there. I'm also familiar with Hampton Roads; my sister went to Hampton University and we spent quite a bit of time in the area. While there are pluses and minuses about both locations, I ultimately choose Honolulu for overall quality of life. I feel so much more at peace in Honolulu than I do in Hampton Roads and many other places on the mainland. In many ways, Honolulu feels like you're in a different country. True, things are considerably more expensive in Honolulu, but--all other things equal--I'll take Honolulu.

Note, the distance from loved ones on the mainland can and does get to many. Heck, I had a bad case of island fever once and would always find myself dreaming of things that I missed on the mainland (e.g. road trips, etc.). But I asked myself how often I actually ever went on road trips or traveled extensively within the US otherwise (the answer will be different depending on the person) and it wasn't too frequently, so I really wasn't missing much on that front. To me, it seems that many who move to the islands get caught up thinking that Hawaii will be a permanent vacation setting and not enough time adopting the islands as a home.

Old 11-22-2021, 03:56 PM

6,377 posts, read 5,000,641 times
If Hawaii weren't quite so isolated I'd gladly take Honolulu. Maybe even if it were like a 2-hour flight from the mainland with fairly affordable flights.

Old 11-24-2021, 06:47 AM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Honolulu for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City