Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: 2nd or 3rd tier
2nd tier 20 31.75%
It’s own tier 5 7.94%
3rd tier 38 60.32%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2021, 03:35 PM

531 posts, read 427,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
That’s a little dramatic..
Have you been lately?

I have relatives who grew up there and they all moved out over time. It’s only gotten worse and worse over the years, which is sad compared to how it once was. A third of the city is living below the poverty level.

From an article called “These are the 10 poorest cities in Massachusetts” (take a guess at which one came in first):

To compile the list of the poorest cities in the state, onlyinyourstate.com used each Massachusetts town’s per capita income — which is the average income earned per person in a year — median household income and poverty level.

1. Lawrence: Per capita income: $16,987; Median Household income: $32,851; Living below poverty level: 29.2 percent
(According to onlyinyourstate.com, Lawrence is also listed as one of the poorest cities in the whole nation.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2021, 04:05 PM

6,818 posts, read 6,062,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy11 View Post
Have you been lately?
I work in Andover and just moved away from a suburb of Haverhill, which is a few towns over. No arguing it isn’t bad. It just not “lightyears worse” than other bad, post-industrial cities in New England:

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...etts/PST045219

^Per quickfacts….

Poverty rate:
Central Falls, RI: 30.2%
Holyoke, MA: 29.3%
Waterbury, CT: 23.4%
Lawrence, MA: 21.4%
Brattleboro, VT: 20.9%
Berlin, NH: 18.5%

Per Capita Income:
Central Falls, RI: $15,519
Lawrence, MA: $20,858
Berlin, NH: $21,057
Waterbury, CT: $23,128
Holyoke, MA: $23,931
Brattleboro, VT: $28,138

Median Household Income:
Central Falls, RI: $32,982
Brattleboro, VT: $38,176
Berlin, NH: $39,130
Holyoke, MA: $40,769
Waterbury, CT: $42,401
Lawrence, MA: $44,613

There are a decent number of nice mom&pop restaurants and markets in Lawrence as well as some nicer restaurants downtown. There aren’t usually a lot of people just hanging out. There are shops, salons, and nail parlors that often have customers. It isn’t terrible. Not to diminish it’s problems; I’m not saying it’s a great place either.

I think crime in the city has been trending down for the last 5 or so years too. I’ll try to find that data later.

Old 11-27-2021, 05:22 PM

37,191 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I work in Andover and just moved away from a suburb of Haverhill, which is a few towns over. No arguing it isn’t bad. It just not “lightyears worse” than other bad, post-industrial cities in New England:

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...etts/PST045219

^Per quickfacts….

Poverty rate:
Central Falls, RI: 30.2%
Holyoke, MA: 29.3%
Waterbury, CT: 23.4%
Lawrence, MA: 21.4%
Brattleboro, VT: 20.9%
Berlin, NH: 18.5%

Per Capita Income:
Central Falls, RI: $15,519
Lawrence, MA: $20,858
Berlin, NH: $21,057
Waterbury, CT: $23,128
Holyoke, MA: $23,931
Brattleboro, VT: $28,138

Median Household Income:
Central Falls, RI: $32,982
Brattleboro, VT: $38,176
Berlin, NH: $39,130
Holyoke, MA: $40,769
Waterbury, CT: $42,401
Lawrence, MA: $44,613

There are a decent number of nice mom&pop restaurants and markets in Lawrence as well as some nicer restaurants downtown. There aren’t usually a lot of people just hanging out. There are shops, salons, and nail parlors that often have customers. It isn’t terrible. Not to diminish it’s problems; I’m not saying it’s a great place either.

I think crime in the city has been trending down for the last 5 or so years too. I’ll try to find that data later.

I wonder how much of a difference that new train stop in nearby Pawtucket and meant to serve Central Falls as well will make. Seems to be progressing pretty nicely so far: https://www.dot.ri.gov/projects/PCF/index.php

Old 11-27-2021, 05:43 PM

2,382 posts, read 1,862,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy11 View Post
Have you been lately?

I have relatives who grew up there and they all moved out over time. It’s only gotten worse and worse over the years, which is sad compared to how it once was. A third of the city is living below the poverty level.

From an article called “These are the 10 poorest cities in Massachusetts” (take a guess at which one came in first):

To compile the list of the poorest cities in the state, onlyinyourstate.com used each Massachusetts town’s per capita income — which is the average income earned per person in a year — median household income and poverty level.

1. Lawrence: Per capita income: $16,987; Median Household income: $32,851; Living below poverty level: 29.2 percent
(According to onlyinyourstate.com, Lawrence is also listed as one of the poorest cities in the whole nation.)
Lawrence today is not worse than it was in 2010 or 2000 or 1990. How long ago did they move out? I don't think the city has ever been nice evn when Robert Frost was living there

Old 11-27-2021, 07:36 PM

6,818 posts, read 6,062,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Lawrence today is not worse than it was in 2010 or 2000 or 1990. How long ago did they move out? I don't think the city has ever been nice evn when Robert Frost was living there
I think there was a time when it was nice. Maybe before the “4 theaters in a row” were demolished?

Old 11-28-2021, 05:11 AM

21,677 posts, read 12,825,238 times
Lawrence IS a bad city but it’s still a large and culturally important city. Definitely at least on par with Framingham and Salem lol. Idk Remy…

Old 11-28-2021, 10:02 AM

2,382 posts, read 1,862,460 times
Lawrence is an important city that grew enormously in the last decade. 2010-2020 saw the most growth in the city in over a century. With 16.7% growth that is more than double the state average in the latest census. Methuen, a suburb of Lawrence recorded 12.3% population growth.

Lawrence is an unusual case because of how bad the city's reputation is with locals. There are a lot of places that are functionally the Lawrence MSA but many residents of those towns rarely ever travel to Lawrence. The city limits are tiny but there is still a wide area that is influenced by the city. One example of that would be Salisbury. Salisbury beach is immediately next to Newburyport, which is a much more affluent and desirable city than Lawrence. Yet Salisbury still has a stronger Lawrence connection than it does to Newburport, even though Lawrence is not particularly close to Salisbury Beach. If you walk around the boardwalk in the summer you will run into more people from Lawrence than you will from Newburyport. Salem, NH also functions as a suburb of Lawrence despite not sharing a border. The city limits are only 2.2 miles apart at the closest point, or a five minute drive down Broadway. However the part of Salem that is closest to Lawrence is the commercial hub of the town and draws loads of people from MA for big box shopping along 28.

I would say in some ways Salem, NH functions as a secondary shopping district for Lawrence between all the big box stores and the mall. The primary shopping district also not in the city of Lawrence itself is the Loop in Methuen which again contains the practical amenities that are lacking in the city itself, albeit without the tax free shopping experience.

Lawrence might be most similar to Lynn out of the other MA cities. Lawrence being somewhat further from Boston might lead to a different dynamic than Lynn has with the surrounding cities. Would places like Saugus, Swampscott, Lynnfield or Nahnt be in a Lynn MSA if such a thing existed? I'm not sure of the answer but places like Revere I think they are completely sucked into the Boston gravity and despite having similarities to Lynn and sharing a border I don't have a good argument that they would be in a Lynn MSA

Last edited by Space_League; 11-28-2021 at 10:11 AM..

Old 11-29-2021, 06:49 AM

12,173 posts, read 8,046,859 times
Lawrence is bad. But lets not act like its a Paterson or Newark or something like that.

Old 11-29-2021, 06:59 AM

21,677 posts, read 12,825,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Lawrence is bad. But lets not act like its a Paterson or Newark or something like that.
Overall Newark is probably a better city than Lawrence. Despite higher crime. IJS, way more purposeful land impactful with more culture/arts/dining/transit connection.

You might have better life chances out of Newark than Lawrence…

Old 11-29-2021, 04:28 PM

12,173 posts, read 8,046,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Overall Newark is probably a better city than Lawrence. Despite higher crime. IJS, way more purposeful land impactful with more culture/arts/dining/transit connection.

You might have better life chances out of Newark than Lawrence…
you missed the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City