Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: 2nd or 3rd tier
2nd tier 20 31.75%
It’s own tier 5 7.94%
3rd tier 38 60.32%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 08:10 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
How is NB and Fall River in the bottom tier with Pittsfield MA LOL

and LEWISTON and HOLYOKE are two tiers above?

KEENE IS THREE THREE TIERS ABOVE

Is this just the list of how much you like the cities?
Damn, I didn't even see Keene... There's too much Northern New England on here.

Missing some key Connecticut cities like East and West Hartford Middletown Waterbury

Keene is like...Willimantic CT or Woonsocket RI. If that, there's 23,000 people in Keene, NH. Smaller than Milton, MA. Keene State has fewer students than Curry College...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2021, 08:26 AM

6,804 posts, read 6,027,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Missing some key Connecticut cities like East and West Hartford Middletown Waterbury
Middletown is on mine. I didn’t include West/East Hartford for the same reason I didn’t include Cambridge, Waltham, or Quincy. Waterbury I did just forget. Would probably put it in the same group as Brockton, Lynn, etc.

Quote:
Keene is like...Willimantic CT or Woonsocket RI. If that, there's 23,000 people in Keene, NH. Smaller than Milton, MA. Keene State has fewer students than Curry College...
Thought about including those two. Agree that they’re a similar caliber though I think Woonsocket and Willimantic are more run down than Keene. I’d lump them in with New London.

Old 11-10-2021, 08:29 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Boston

*Massive Seismic Gap*

Providence
Hartford
New Haven

*Gap*

Worcester
Stamford
Springfield
Manchester

*Big Gap*

Lowell
Portland
Waterbury
Danbury
New Bedford
Fall River
Lawrence
Nashua
Brockton
Lynn
Cambridge

*Gap*

Fitchburg
Quincy
Norwalk
Pawtucket
Framingham
Woonsocket
Lewiston
Haverhill
Holyoke
New London
Pittsfield
New Britain
East/West Hartford
Somerville

*Massive Gap*

Salem
Middletown
Portsmouth
Newburyport
Auburn
Waterville
Gloucester
Norwich
Concord
West Haven

*Small Gap*

Keene
Willimantic
Greenfield
Southbridge
Torrington
Warwick
Chicopee

Old 11-10-2021, 04:42 PM

2,363 posts, read 1,850,107 times
1 Boston

2 Providence
Hartford
Bridgeport

3 Springfield
New Haven
Worcester

3.5 Portland

4 Burlington
Manchester
Lowell/Nashua(tier 5s separately)
New Bedford/Fall River (tier 5s separately)

5 Brockton
Bangor
Danbury
Waterbury
Lewiston
Lynn

Old 11-10-2021, 06:26 PM

1,037 posts, read 678,658 times
Quote:
Boston

*Massive Seismic Gap*

Providence
Hartford
New Haven

*Gap*

Worcester
Stamford
Springfield
Manchester

*Big Gap*

Lowell
Portland
Waterbury
Danbury
New Bedford
Fall River
Lawrence
Nashua
Brockton
Lynn
Cambridge

*Gap*

Fitchburg
Quincy
Norwalk
Pawtucket
Framingham
Woonsocket
Lewiston
Haverhill
Holyoke
New London
Pittsfield
New Britain
East/West Hartford
Somerville

*Massive Gap*

Salem
Middletown
Portsmouth
Newburyport
Auburn
Waterville
Gloucester
Norwich
Concord
West Haven

*Small Gap*

Keene
Willimantic
Greenfield
Southbridge
Torrington
Warwick
Chicopee
I guess we're looking at individual municipalities and not MSAs. If that's the case, then why is Cambridge so low?

It has the fourth highest population in the state of Mass, it has arguably two of the greatest universities in the world located within its borders, a gigantic pharmaceutical presence and better nightlife than anywhere in New England except Boston, Providence and maybe New Haven.

Old 11-10-2021, 06:34 PM

14,010 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
I guess we're looking at individual municipalities and not MSAs. If that's the case, then why is Cambridge so low?

It has the fourth highest population in the state of Mass, it has arguably two of the greatest universities in the world located within its borders, a gigantic pharmaceutical presence and better nightlife than anywhere in New England except Boston, Providence and maybe New Haven.
Cambridge has no suburbs. Or look where Kendall Sq is. It’s Boston CBD sprawl not a “Downtown Cambridge”. There is a reason Lowell, not Cambridge has a UMass and a Minor league Baseball team or Manchester has an ECHL team, AA Baseball and two TV stations.

Old 11-10-2021, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Cambridge has no suburbs. Or look where Kendall Sq is. It’s Boston CBD sprawl not a “Downtown Cambridge”. There is a reason Lowell, not Cambridge has a UMass and a Minor league Baseball team or Manchester has an ECHL team, AA Baseball and two TV stations.
I'm trying to think of what could be considered a Cambridge suburb. Arlington/Belmont are getting warm. Waltham kind of feels like a surburb of Newton and Watertown is kind of split between Newton/Cambridge influences with a nod toward Newton. Of course they are all still Boston suburbs first and foremost.

In a way Porter/Teele/Ball Squares area up through Tufts feels like a part of Cambridge moreso than Boston

Old 11-10-2021, 06:53 PM

14,010 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
I'm trying to think of what could be considered a Cambridge suburb. Arlington/Belmont are getting warm. Waltham kind of feels like a surburb of Newton and Watertown is kind of split between Newton/Cambridge influences with a nod toward Newton. Of course they are all still Boston suburbs first and foremost.

In a way Porter/Teele/Ball Squares area up through Tufts feels like a part of Cambridge moreso than Boston
I think Newton would be more a Waltham Suburb than vice versa.

Tons of jobs in Waltham

Old 11-10-2021, 07:16 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Boston

*Massive Seismic Gap*

Providence
Hartford
New Haven

*Gap*

Worcester
Stamford
Springfield
Manchester

*Big Gap*

Lowell
Portland
Waterbury
Danbury
New Bedford
Fall River
Lawrence
Nashua
Brockton
Lynn
Cambridge

*Gap*

Fitchburg
Quincy
Norwalk
Pawtucket
Framingham
Woonsocket
Lewiston
Haverhill
Holyoke
New London
Pittsfield
New Britain
East/West Hartford
Somerville

*Massive Gap*

Salem
Middletown
Portsmouth
Newburyport
Auburn
Waterville
Gloucester
Norwich
Concord
West Haven

*Small Gap*

Keene
Willimantic
Greenfield
Southbridge
Torrington
Warwick
Chicopee
If you are breaking off Cambridge from Boston, then Cambridge is no lower than Tier 2. Possibly, above Hartford. Kendall Square, MIT, Biotech capitol of the world and Pharma Leader that developed 1 COVID vaccine and is an intricate role in developing the other one.

Also Lynn over Brockton?

Old 11-10-2021, 08:00 PM

Drawing the lines for NH / Merrimack Valley cities is really hard.

The traditional pairings would be Lowell/Lawrence and Manchester/Nashua but I don't think that captures exactly right.

Technically Manchester/Nashua is one MSA and the borders are hillsborough county. This is the wonkiest MSA you could imagine:

Manchester/Nashua definitely have a strong connection, especially with the route 3 corridor through Merrimack. However those bounds are a fat no for me and Nashua feels better paired with Lowell than Manchester overall. Lawrence is paired with Haverhill

If anything I would pair Manchester with Concord, which is its own MSA technically speaking.

Derry and Londonderry have a strong connection to both Manchester and Nashua, but I would put the edge to Manchester. Manchster gets places like Auburn, Chester, Raymond, Bedford, Candian, Hooksett

Nashua gets Hudson, Milford, Amherst, Hollis/Brookline, Windham, Pelham

Merrimack, NH is hard to place because it's right in between the two.

Lawrence/Haverhill gets Methuen, Salem, Andover, North Andover, Atkinson, Plaistow, Georgetown, and Boxford.

Newburyport gets Amesbury, Merrimac, Salisbury, Seabrook, Newbury, Rowley.

Places like Kingston/East Kingston, Hampton, Exeter are really hard to place between Newburyport and Portsmouth. I think I would edge to Portsmouth honestly on all of them or give Exeter it's own micro MSA with those places and throw in Epping, Stratham, Brentwood into Exeter MSA

Portsmouth gets really dicey between the issue above and the issue of Rochester, NH. If we want to chuck everything from both camps, including Rochester and all its outlying towns up to the boarder of Laconia MSA into Portsmouth it really balloons the MSA to a ridiculous size given the population of the anchor city. But at the same time it wouldn't really be wrong either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City