Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston and Louisiana or Memphis and Mississippi
Houston and Louisiana 7 16.28%
Memphis and Mississippi 35 81.40%
Tie 1 2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2021, 05:26 PM

368 posts, read 1,329,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston39 View Post
Memphis feels more like Mississippi than Tennessee.

Houston is still firmly Texan.
Texan as in El Paso? Midland, Amarillo, Austin, Waco or Laredo? I do think it is very Texan but there is Louisiana influence in Houston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2021, 07:11 PM

368 posts, read 1,329,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Memphis and Mississippi. Not even close.

To me, Memphis is more like Mississippi than anything East of Jackson, TN. Its always reminded me of Big City Mississippi.
It’s weird because I guess I feel like Memphis is more like a big Little Rock or more Arkansas flavor but I guess that’s because the part of Mississippi I’m familiar with is the southern portion. But of course Memphis is right on the MS line and is exactly like that part of northern MS as well.

Old 11-23-2021, 08:03 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by councilor j View Post
It’s weird because I guess I feel like Memphis is more like a big Little Rock or more Arkansas flavor but I guess that’s because the part of Mississippi I’m familiar with is the southern portion. But of course Memphis is right on the MS line and is exactly like that part of northern MS as well.
You can say it’s a big Jackson and a big Little Rock. Also, I agree with everyone else that it’s Memphis and Mississippi. Houston even though it has close ties to Southern and in particular, southwestern Louisiana, does not match what Memphis has with Mississippi. Well the Mississippi that’s not centered around the gulf coast.

Old 11-23-2021, 09:18 PM

730 posts, read 814,063 times
Memphis and Mississippi. Easily. I'd like to hear from the 3 who voted for Houston to justify how they feel Houston has closer ties to Louisiana than Memphis does to Mississippi. I mean, the Memphis MSA includes four counties that are actually in Mississippi which include Memphis's fastest growing suburbs and Mississippi's fastest growing county. If it weren't for Stateline Road, it would be impossible to know when you left Memphis and entered Mississippi.

I think that Memphis's close ties and cultural similarities to Mississippi are part of the city's charm.

Old 11-24-2021, 12:44 AM

155 posts, read 127,308 times
Houston does have some Louisiana flair, but not enough to constitute a cultural drift. Memphis/Mississippi makes more sense, because they're bordered with one another.

Old 11-24-2021, 11:19 AM

309 posts, read 307,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below...
Memphis and Mississippi. Not even close.

To me, Memphis is more like Mississippi than anything East of Jackson, TN. Its always reminded me of Big City Mississippi.
Quote:
Both can be true

Old 11-24-2021, 11:47 AM

841 posts, read 825,345 times
Quote:
When I grew up in Memphis (70's to 1981), the city certainly felt connected to both Arkansas and Mississippi, which makes sense given the location. But I think Mississippi always felt more connected since the whole southern border of Memphis runs along the Mississippi state line. When you cross the bridge into Arkansas, you have to drive several miles across mostly empty delta until you reach West Memphis, and even then, West Memphis doesn't "feel" like as much of a Memphis suburb as the Mississippi 'burbs do. Also, to some degree (and this may just be my own impression since I'm very affected by terrain), most of the Mississippi suburbs "look" more like Memphis since they are not in the Delta and have the gently rolling terrain like the city does. The areas of Arkansas adjacent to Memphis are pancake flat delta and just have a different feel from the city.

This is kind of a neat Street View near Walls, MS south of Memphis where the road is leaving the Mississippi Delta and heading into the more rolling interior: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.9332...8i8192!5m1!1e4

Old 11-24-2021, 11:55 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
When I grew up in Memphis (70's to 1981), the city certainly felt connected to both Arkansas and Mississippi, which makes sense given the location. But I think Mississippi always felt more connected since the whole southern border of Memphis runs along the Mississippi state line. When you cross the bridge into Arkansas, you have to drive several miles across mostly empty delta until you reach West Memphis, and even then, West Memphis doesn't "feel" like as much of a Memphis suburb as the Mississippi 'burbs do. Also, to some degree (and this may just be my own impression since I'm very affected by terrain), most of the Mississippi suburbs "look" more like Memphis since they are not in the Delta and have the gently rolling terrain like the city does. The areas of Arkansas adjacent to Memphis are pancake flat delta and just have a different feel from the city.

This is kind of a neat Street View near Walls, MS south of Memphis where the road is leaving the Mississippi Delta and heading into the more rolling interior: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.9332...8i8192!5m1!1e4
It's kind of interesting how the Mississippi Delta switches sides of the river (states) in some places as the river meanders along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City