Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which beaches in Florida do you prefer?
Atlantic 31 36.90%
Gulf 53 63.10%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 01:07 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,807,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Correct me if I’m wrong—isn’t red tide more prevalent on the Gulf Coast?….during the 5 summer months, no question the Atlantic side—at least in SoFla—is more tolerable / comfortable due to ocean breezes.
Red tide is horrible on the gulf, at least in Sarasota where my family lives
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2021, 02:24 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post
Gulf side: Shallow, warm, bath tub with practically little to no waves and very susceptible to red tide…Nice sand though. Oh and Hurricanes gain tremendous strength on the gulf side due to the above listed attributes.

Atlantic side(South Florida): Much larger waves, much cooler and refreshing water (can be too cold at times) Sand isn’t as nice (generally). More “adult” type beaches (nude, if that’s your thing). More famous beaches with a much higher probability of celebrity sightseeing (again if that’s your thing).

Overall I find the gulf side to be more kid/toddler friendly, but better than South Florida’s beaches? I suppose if you’re crowd adverse, older, from the Midwest, or on a budget…sure.
Both have very crowded, and not so crowded beaches, so that's kind of a moot point.

Not sure what you mean about "on a budget." Care to elaborate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Correct me if I’m wrong—isn’t red tide more prevalent on the Gulf Coast?….during the 5 summer months, no question the Atlantic side—at least in SoFla—is more tolerable / comfortable due to ocean breezes.
Correct about the red tide. It was my first red tide season here this year, and it was not pretty. I haven't seen anything remotely close to (or as smelly) it on the Atlantic side.

As for the breeze, I am 5 miles inland, and I certainly do get to enjoy that Gulf breeze during hot summer days, to the point that bike rides in the afternoon don't bother me at all... Maybe it's because I got so used to the horrifyingly hot and humid Orlando summers.

Anyway, my vote goes to the Gulf Coast... The entire stretch from Tarpon Springs all the way down to Marco Island is uninterrupted beauty.

Old 12-07-2021, 02:33 PM

101 posts, read 170,701 times
Personally, I prefer the Gulf beaches. The Atlantic is much rougher and colder, which of course appeals to some, but not to me. The water is also much clearer on the west coast. I also like the softer sand on the Gulf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
This was true in 2021 for sure, but in 2020 we had barely any; at least in Madeira Beach, where we usually go. I've been visiting the Gulf beaches for 40 years, no year was like last year, though there are usually a few days to weeks every summer when you can expect the red tide.

Old 12-07-2021, 02:46 PM

655 posts, read 2,182,662 times
For me, I prefer the Atlantic beaches 1000%. I think the beaches in South Florida are perfect.

My husband, on the other hand, is all about the Gulf Coast beaches. He grew up in the Mobile, AL area, but for him, he thought Tampa's beaches or the Pensacola-area beaches were far better than the ones in the South Florida area.

I love 'em both, but I'll take the Miami-area beaches over the Tampa or panhandle ones.

Old 12-07-2021, 08:06 PM

629 posts, read 401,350 times
Honestly, who do you think would have more crowded beaches? An area with an MSA population of 3.24 million (Tampa MSA) or one with double, 6.17 million (Miami MSA). I stand by the “generally” less crowded bullet point.

Genuinely curious though, what’s the most crowded beach over there? Clearwater?

In regards to the “budget” point, when it comes to visiting Florida beaches, celebrities and other high profile people are heading to Miami Beach, Las Olas Beach and Palm Beach island (older and more affluent types) and as a result of this, amenities, real estate, nightlife and other forms of entertainment in those areas will cost more. These types aren’t even looking at anything on the gulf side unless you’re Hulk Hogan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Both have very crowded, and not so crowded beaches, so that's kind of a moot point.

Not sure what you mean about "on a budget." Care to elaborate?

Last edited by silverct9a; 12-07-2021 at 08:14 PM..

Old 12-07-2021, 09:35 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
Honestly, who do you think would have more crowded beaches? An area with an MSA population of 3.24 million (Tampa MSA) or one with double, 6.17 million (Miami MSA). I stand by the “generally” less crowded bullet point.

In regards to the “budget” point, when it comes to visiting Florida beaches, celebrities and other high profile people are heading to Miami Beach, Las Olas Beach and Palm Beach island (older and more affluent types) and as a result of this, amenities, real estate, nightlife and other forms of entertainment in those areas will cost more. These types aren’t even looking at anything on the gulf side unless you’re Hulk Hogan.
What a ridiculous assertion. This comment distills the general Miami attitude nicely, though.

Old 12-07-2021, 10:25 PM

629 posts, read 401,350 times
So Miami attitude == truth? I’ll take that.

https://hogansbeachshop.com/

https://hoganshangout.com/

FYI, I’m on Florida’s west coast pretty often. My best friend lives in South Tampa, and the wife’s family LOVES Clearwater (for whatever reason, although Frenchy’s is good).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
What a ridiculous assertion. This comment distills the general Miami attitude nicely, though.

Old 12-07-2021, 11:30 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,279,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Red tide in Sarasota was very bad in 2018 and fairly bad in 2021. Prior to that I don’t recall it being much of an issue. I’m no fan of red tide, but usually it’s not a problem for us.

Quote:
Yes, Clearwater Beach is the busiest. It’s probably a little more crowded than Ft. Lauderdale Beach.

You can’t really compare the Tampa and Miami metro populations to determine how crowded the beaches are. Orlando residents will often times make the journey west to visit Tampa Bay Area beaches so more people come here than you might assume.

Quote:
While South Florida is obviously more popular with celebrities and affluent individuals you’re not quite giving the west coast enough credit. Naples and, to a lessor extent, Sarasota do attract quite a bit of wealth.

Last edited by FL_Expert; 12-07-2021 at 11:40 PM..

Old 12-07-2021, 11:32 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Gulf is nicer.

Atlantic is more fun.

Old 12-08-2021, 04:44 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,644,714 times
Best beaches are in the panhandle. Can’t beat the Destin to Panama City stretch, especially 30A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City