Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 12:28 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Why would it be Phoenix when Vegas has an army of sex workers, cooks (usually comes with ‘underground’ culture), comedians, artists, and various vagabonds?
First of all it's about twice the size, is home to a major university (much larger than UNLV) and is full of ex-Californians. It's been a major metro longer as well. Have you been there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2022, 12:03 AM

19 posts, read 21,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
First of all it's about twice the size, is home to a major university (much larger than UNLV) and is full of ex-Californians. It's been a major metro longer as well. Have you been there?
Sounds like you haven't been to Vegas, because you seem to think that size is important to define culture. Let me give you a counter example. Dallas should have a larger counterculture than Asheville North Carolina simply because it's more than 10 times the size. But Asheville is defined by its counterculture, much more than Dallas is, even though it's a lot smaller. In that way, size would actually work against Phoenix

Vegas has a notorious reputation for being filled with transient people and non-traditional lifestyles. You really think Phoenix can compete?

Old 01-22-2022, 06:49 AM

817 posts, read 626,597 times
Just came across this video and noticed something. Some alt women walking on the left at around the 58:13 mark

https://youtu.be/p_GnUkm-G1M?t=3493

Old 01-22-2022, 06:54 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
No I haven’t been to Phoenix but for all the reasons superpowers and I already said I don’t think I need to, honestly Phoenix seems like the opposite of alt culture form where I sit and it not a city I really want to visit tbh. It’s a city known for retirees, golf courses and conservative to moderate politics. I also have 0 clue what size has to do with it as many of the most quirky or alternative type cities I know of are in small metros..

Old 01-23-2022, 12:34 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
No I haven’t been to Phoenix but for all the reasons superpowers and I already said I don’t think I need to, honestly Phoenix seems like the opposite of alt culture form where I sit and it not a city I really want to visit tbh. It’s a city known for retirees, golf courses and conservative to moderate politics. I also have 0 clue what size has to do with it as many of the most quirky or alternative type cities I know of are in small metros..
Sorry you feel this way. You're missing out on a dynamic and unique major Metro that runs circles around Vegas, in my opinion.

And for every funky and alternative small town, there are 100,000 that are the polar opposite. Size definitely matters.

Old 01-23-2022, 12:54 PM

8,609 posts, read 10,140,336 times
Quote:
Typical. More, "No I haven't visited Phoenix, but..." nonsense. Perhaps one shouldn't be posting here if one truly doesn't have a clue.

Old 01-23-2022, 09:04 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,807,379 times
Phoenix by far has a larger metal and pop punk scene.

Old 01-28-2022, 07:17 PM

828 posts, read 647,527 times
Vegas without too much difficulty.

Old 05-11-2022, 06:06 AM

817 posts, read 626,597 times
After having spent some time now in both cities, I think Vegas has more of that alt look. I noticed the women in Las Vegas dressed a lot better/sexier than those in Phoenix, a lot more of that urban 'LA look' of Vans, ripped jeans and croptop shirts, some e girl aesthetic in Vegas. Phoenix definitely had more of that 'conservative suburbia blonde wife' style of dressing, maybe due to all the midwestern transplants, idk

Old 05-15-2022, 07:59 PM

141 posts, read 90,441 times
Pop-punk? Thats for jocks and preppies. Punk, metal, grunge, hardcore, thrash - I think thats what youre looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City