Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer?
Knoxville 12 34.29%
Asheville 23 65.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2021, 07:17 AM

771 posts, read 627,874 times

Advertisements

How would you compare and contrast these two cities in southern Appalachia? Which one do you prefer overall?

Amenities
Jobs
Nightlife/Restaurants
Outdoor Activities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2021, 07:26 AM

10,074 posts, read 14,458,372 times
A good match-up here. Here are my picks--

Amenities: Knoxville edges Asheville due to it being bigger overall: 190k city and 870k metro, vs 95k city and 475k metro
Jobs: Knoxville will offer more overall
Location: Asheville is right in the heart of stunning mountain peaks--and it is gorgeous. Knoxville has rolling hills and sits at the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains. I give the edge to Asheville. Both are central to major cities in the east
Culture/History: I like Asheville a bit more here
Nightlife/Restaurants: Knoxville edges Asheville, just due to its size. But Asheville comes very close due to its cooler downtown, with more variety and diversity with types of restaurants
Outdoor Activities: Asheville edges Knoxville, due to its location right in the heart of the mountains. But Knoxville has an incredible location as well, being only 20 miles from the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

Tough choice for me, but I'll give the tiniest edge to Asheville.

Both have great qualities of life, but Asheville feels more like "an escape to a cosmopolitan small city in the beautiful mountains," whereas Knoxville feels more like a "growing city destination that offers a lot, but with super close access to a lot of fun attractions."

Old 12-28-2021, 09:23 AM

842 posts, read 828,218 times
I feel like Asheville is the more idyllic place to live, but Knoxville is more practical for most people because it is a larger metro with more jobs and amenities. Asheville's summer weather will be a few degrees cooler than Knoxville's, which is likely a plus for most people as well.

Old 12-28-2021, 10:28 AM

1,013 posts, read 913,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
A good match-up here. Here are my picks--

Amenities: Knoxville edges Asheville due to it being bigger overall: 190k city and 870k metro, vs 95k city and 475k metro
Jobs: Knoxville will offer more overall
Location: Asheville is right in the heart of stunning mountain peaks--and it is gorgeous. Knoxville has rolling hills and sits at the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains. I give the edge to Asheville. Both are central to major cities in the east
Culture/History: I like Asheville a bit more here
Nightlife/Restaurants: Knoxville edges Asheville, just due to its size. But Asheville comes very close due to its cooler downtown, with more variety and diversity with types of restaurants
Outdoor Activities: Asheville edges Knoxville, due to its location right in the heart of the mountains. But Knoxville has an incredible location as well, being only 20 miles from the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

Tough choice for me, but I'll give the tiniest edge to Asheville.

Both have great qualities of life, but Asheville feels more like "an escape to a cosmopolitan small city in the beautiful mountains," whereas Knoxville feels more like a "growing city destination that offers a lot, but with super close access to a lot of fun attractions."

This is spot on!

Old 12-28-2021, 11:31 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,299,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
Asheville's summer weather will be a few degrees cooler than Knoxville's, which is likely a plus for most people as well.
Yep, I’d pick Asheville mostly due to it not being as hot in the summer. For jobs, neither are going to be great so you might as well get good weather.

Old 12-29-2021, 01:48 PM

41 posts, read 43,645 times
Knoxville is a bigger city with more opportunities and much more to do while Asheville is basically the Portland (the Oregon one) of the east.

Old 12-29-2021, 03:12 PM

542 posts, read 1,109,113 times
Ten years ago, I would have picked Asheville, but it's lost its luster to me. Way too liberal now. I like the outer areas more. OVER PRICED, OVER RATED!!

Old 12-29-2021, 05:11 PM

9,686 posts, read 9,409,894 times
Knoxville should win this based on size and amenities. I, too, liked Asheville ten years ago, but the last time I visited it had changed. The people I encountered were snooty and indifferent in their attitudes. The restaurants and hotels were overpriced and the infrastructure needs improvement.

Amenities: Knoxville
Jobs: Knoxville
Culture/History: Knoxville
Nightlife/Restaurants: Neither are impressive, but Asheville has more healthy options
Outdoor Activities: Asheville

Old 12-29-2021, 06:02 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,299,262 times
OP, why not include Greenville in this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City