Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2022, 09:05 PM

1,026 posts, read 447,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoliticsLover2003 View Post
In my opinion the deaths from the fire earlier this month may have been ruled homicides despite being accidentally set.
The 12 fire deaths in Philly are not being counted or otherwise ruled as being homicides. No criminal investigation.

The only crime here would be the adults in this 2-unit residence disabling (6) of the (7) smoke detectors. An unattended 5-year old found a lighter near a Christmas tree and lit it up at 6:30am. 3 female adults, 12 kids killed, no chance to escape.

No homicides here at all.

Philly going into this evening is 31 homicides.

Last edited by MPK21; 01-18-2022 at 09:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2022, 12:21 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I think a major problem is there is a real decent sized constituency that doesn’t care.

Lot of wealthy white liberals who move in pretend crime is actually a conservative propaganda campaign and not a real issue. While there is also a decent sized group of people who believe it’s a natural trade off of living in a city and a third group that thinks it just makes them tough to live in a high crime area.
Yep. Thats what gather every time i visit Philly. Horrible tragedy. The city office is pretty inept as well. But boy, the amount of blight there for a city as large and robust as Philadelphia? The city needs a complete change in policy and direction. Outside the two or three white “city lover” neighborhoods, Philadelphia looks like 2005 Newark or the South Side. Limited opportunity, dirty, etc. Im angry for the citizens of Philadelphia, because this is not what they deserve. Its not what Philadelphia deserves. Philadelphia as great as it is, deserves better.

31 murders in 17 days cannot be justified.

Old 01-19-2022, 12:26 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
It's honestly a lot more complex than blight and how the city is run (which is better than it gets credit for). That's the Fox News headline explanation.

Without digressing too much, it very much comes down to political leadership, or lack thereof, which unfortunately is highly intertwined with some very controversial approaches to law enforcement and incarceration at the national level.

It's the same situation that's unfolded in many cities across the US at the moment, but unfortunately the situation has become particularly acute in Philly at the moment. And sadly, it's impacting overwhelmingly the same predictable neighborhoods.
For Chicago and Philadelphia, the cities are held on higher pedestals as they are basically world class cities with robust economies. They are held to different standards then cities that completely missed the ship. People will go harder on them (atleast i do) because people see them higher than this. People care about these cities alot. I dont want to see any cities with high murder rates, but a city like Philadelphia sticks out as a sore thumb.

Old 01-19-2022, 03:40 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,398,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
For Chicago and Philadelphia, the cities are held on higher pedestals as they are basically world class cities with robust economies. They are held to different standards then cities that completely missed the ship. People will go harder on them (atleast i do) because people see them higher than this. People care about these cities alot. I dont want to see any cities with high murder rates, but a city like Philadelphia sticks out as a sore thumb.
Philly is a world class city?

Old 01-19-2022, 05:27 AM

910 posts, read 1,084,100 times
Quote:
DC is more of a world class city than Philly but typically there's crickets when it's had a consistently high murder rate, which Philly has only recently surpassed. Philly isn't even above Miami as far as worldly prestige goes.

The only major cities that have murder rates congruent with their global prestige are NYC, SF, and Boston.

Old 01-19-2022, 06:29 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Philly is a world class city?
I don't think that's really germane here as a question. There was a recent thread that hashed out ad infinitum what "world class" means, which is literally a million different things to a million different people. We'll leave it at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
DC is more of a world class city than Philly but typically there's crickets when it's had a consistently high murder rate, which Philly has only recently surpassed. Philly isn't even above Miami as far as worldly prestige goes.

The only major cities that have murder rates congruent with their global prestige are NYC, SF, and Boston.
I don't think there's an acceptable level of crime in any major American city, regardless of the level of perceived "prestige." But clearly a markedly different approach to policing is beginning to have some dire consequences in some cities more than others (and, by the way, NYC and SF are certainly among those). That has to be recognized.

Old 01-19-2022, 06:38 AM

422 posts, read 303,408 times
Like I said in my opinion it is time Philly needs to elect a black female mayor similar to Lightfoot in Chicago, and just recently Tishura Jones in St Louis, look at how STL went from 263 murders in 2020 record per capita high to 195 in 2021 above average but below 2017 numbers.

Old 01-19-2022, 10:17 AM

1,026 posts, read 447,156 times
Quote:
Yep. Thats what gather every time i visit Philly. Horrible tragedy. The city office is pretty inept as well. But boy, the amount of blight there for a city as large and robust as Philadelphia? The city needs a complete change in policy and direction. Outside the two or three white “city lover” neighborhoods, Philadelphia looks like 2005 Newark or the South Side. Limited opportunity, dirty, etc. Im angry for the citizens of Philadelphia, because this is not what they deserve. Its not what Philadelphia deserves. Philadelphia as great as it is, deserves better.

31 murders in 17 days cannot be justified.

Make that, as of 1/18, Philly homicides: 32

Old 01-19-2022, 12:10 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,579,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoliticsLover2003 View Post
Like I said in my opinion it is time Philly needs to elect a black female mayor similar to Lightfoot in Chicago, and just recently Tishura Jones in St Louis, look at how STL went from 263 murders in 2020 record per capita high to 195 in 2021 above average but below 2017 numbers.
Trust me, you do NOT want another Lori under any circumstance.

Old 01-19-2022, 12:22 PM

422 posts, read 303,408 times
Philadelphia needs to adapt what St Louis did last year decline in homicides starting first by electing a black female mayor similar to Tish Jones. Unlike LL who has feuded with the Cook county DA, Philly also needs a Black Female DA similar to Kim Gardener and first by looking at the root causes of homicides and crime in general.
And yes 23 for Chicago a man killed and 2 injured in Woodlawn yesterday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City