Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2022, 09:30 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,396,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Boston is safe any way you slice it... but in the context of this statement, it comes down to Boston not having a lot of black people and the wide sread cultural disfunction, social segregation & systemic multi-generational poverty that comes with it. Boston's low-income population (demographically speaking) is vastly different than a cities like Philly, Chicago, Detroit or Baltimore.

At the end of the day, cities with large AA populations always have disproportionatly higher homicide/violent crime rates than cities that don't.. and we all know the real reasons why.
That's not true as New Orleans and Memphis have been home to a nearly identical proportion of black residents over the last 30 plus years, yet the average annual murder rate in one has been around twice as high as the other over the span. Then there's St. Louis, which isn't among the 25 blackest cities in the nation, but it's been the the most murderous city in the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2022, 02:28 AM

3,528 posts, read 2,321,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
What about Houston? The two cities have very similar black %s and as far as I can tell there is a similar breakdown between African Americans and new Caribbean and/or African immigrants too. But homicides are very high in the Texas city and not in the Mass one.

LA is less black than Boston and has a higher homicide rate, iirc.
Boston is an anomaly regarding homicides but I'd still be willing to bet that its AA homicide/violnet crime rate is still higher than its non-black demograghics. As is Houston or LA's.

All the cities that have large African American populations (but lower overall homicide rates) have substantial non-Black populations that help offest the overal crime stats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
That's not true as New Orleans and Memphis have been home to a nearly identical proportion of black residents over the last 30 plus years, yet the average annual murder rate in one has been around twice as high as the other over the span. Then there's St. Louis, which isn't among the 25 blackest cities in the nation, but it's been the the most murderous city in the nation.
Out of those 25 "blackest" cities how many are actually principle major cites? In that context only Detroit, Baltimore, Memphis, Cleveland, Atlanta & Newark out rank St. Louis in raw AA population/percentage.

Which brings me to my next point.

Debating which AA neighborhood is more violent than the next is irrelevant when across the board AA communites have massviely higher homicide/crime rates than non-Black communites regardless of which city we are talking about or the relative proportion of blacks in them.

Old 02-27-2022, 04:33 AM

3 posts, read 2,090 times
Boston has never had the legitimate shooters that other cities have had over the years. With the excellent police force here and years of intel any “shooters” Boston has had were rounded up over the last 2-3 years. You can see it happening at the end of 2020 and big time in 2021. All you have to do is look at the homicide list and see that the murders that bring up the tallys were completely knocked away by the police.

Boston now is left with a soft gangster population that is easy to mark and control. They drive around with guns in hot rides and the police pull them over constantly and get the guns which ends up putting the gangsters off the streets for18-36 months. Back to what i said is that Boston doesnt have the active real shooter numbers so when the police round most of them up like they have the city is left with really no one that is

Former commissioner Gross said it himself several years ago. What he said they were doing was right and has worked. I doubt Boston ever sees of 30 homicides again

Old 02-27-2022, 08:02 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
We have to consider the demographics of the black community in the city we are writing about.

Blacks who are married. Over the age of 30 with or without children are less likely to commit crime or be a victim of homicide. Black immigrants are less likely to commit crimes. The stats are easy to get access to. Look at Old Jamestown MO that is a northern suburb of St Louis. Population is very middle class and hardly any crime. The overwhelming population is married with a median age 44 and a median HH income of near $89k, 92% home ownership rate.

Unfortunately when you are looking at a under 20 population living in poverty and no high-school diploma, that is where the problem and risks come from. Access to illegal guns is feeding the problems that we see.

Old 02-27-2022, 09:14 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
Boston has never had the legitimate shooters that other cities have had over the years. With the excellent police force here and years of intel any “shooters” Boston has had were rounded up over the last 2-3 years. You can see it happening at the end of 2020 and big time in 2021. All you have to do is look at the homicide list and see that the murders that bring up the tallys were completely knocked away by the police.

Boston now is left with a soft gangster population that is easy to mark and control. They drive around with guns in hot rides and the police pull them over constantly and get the guns which ends up putting the gangsters off the streets for18-36 months. Back to what i said is that Boston doesnt have the active real shooter numbers so when the police round most of them up like they have the city is left with really no one that is

Former commissioner Gross said it himself several years ago. What he said they were doing was right and has worked. I doubt Boston ever sees of 30 homicides again
Boston had a peak homicide rate of 26.5 per 100k compared to NYC 30 per 100k. Boston has routinely had a homicide rate 2-3x New York and equivalent to LA since the mid 2000s. Boston had 3x the homicide rate of NYC just 3 years ago Its not a lack of real shooters (this is ignorant)). There's a host of other factors.

BUT the bolded is true at the moment.

Feds put a lot of pressure on a large gang in Dorcester in 2020 and apparently they still are lurking. At least that's what the social media world says.

The Truth lies in between you and Joakim3. But I think based off of the newness of your account (this is your first post) and writing style- you're the same poster (under a different user name) who said Boston would see 40 homicides in 2020 and it ended with 59.

Old 02-27-2022, 09:20 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Boston is an anomaly regarding homicides but I'd still be willing to bet that its AA homicide/violnet crime rate is still higher than its non-black demograghics. As is Houston or LA's.

All the cities that have large African American populations (but lower overall homicide rates) have substantial non-Black populations that help offest the overal crime stats.

Out of those 25 "blackest" cities how many are actually principle major cites? In that context only Detroit, Baltimore, Memphis, Cleveland, Atlanta & Newark out rank St. Louis in raw AA population/percentage.

Which brings me to my next point.

Debating which AA neighborhood is more violent than the next is irrelevant when across the board AA communites have massviely higher homicide/crime rates than non-Black communites regardless of which city we are talking about or the relative proportion of blacks in them.
Yes in a typical year with 50-60 homicides Boston has a very high Black homicide rate of about 25-30 per 100k. But this year there have only been 2 homicides. One was a Cape Verdean teenager one was an African American (or at least so I think, "Ronald Reed" was his name)

The Black homicide rate in Boston is usually 12x higher than the white one is generally one of the highest disparities I can find.

In 2017 Boston had 1 white homicide.

Of the other 54 homicides:

7 were Hispanic

42 were Black- and by the looks of it:
-11 were Cape Verdean
-2 were Haitian
-29 were Black American or other Anglo-West Indian.

No Asian homicides.

https://www.universalhub.com/crime/murder/2017

In 2018
there were 0 white homicides and no Asian homicides

of the 56 homicides:

7 were hispanic

1 was middle eastern

48 were black, of those:
-4 were Cape Verdean
-9 were Haitians
-35 were Black American or Anglo West Indian

https://www.universalhub.com/crime/murder/2018

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 02-27-2022 at 09:36 AM..

Old 02-27-2022, 09:51 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,596,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yes in a typical year with 50-60 homicides Boston has a very high Black homicide rate of about 25-30 per 100k. But this year there have only been 2 homicides. One was a Cape Verdean teenager one was an African American (or at least so I think, "Ronald Reed" was his name)

The Black homicide rate in Boston is usually 12x higher than the white one is generally one of the highest disparities I can find.

In 2017 Boston had 1 white homicide.

Of the other 54 homicides:

7 were Hispanic

42 were Black- and by the looks of it:
-11 were Cape Verdean
-2 were Haitian
-29 were Black American or other Anglo-West Indian.

No Asian homicides.

https://www.universalhub.com/crime/murder/2017

In 2018
there were 0 white homicides and no Asian homicides

of the 56 homicides:

7 were hispanic

1 was middle eastern

48 were black, of those:
-4 were Cape Verdean
-9 were Haitians
-35 were Black American or Anglo West Indian

https://www.universalhub.com/crime/murder/2018
Very interesting information.

I think the fact of the matter is young (18-35), non-college educated, poor AA males are very, very disproportionately likely to be involved in scenarios of homicide. The reasoning for this phenomenon is highly complex, but it's exactly what I was referring to when I was trying to bring up demographics.

While there is a very strong PC-related reluctance to talk about this topic, it almost entirely explains the difference between large city homicide rates overall, across the entire US. The more young, AA (non-immigrant), poor, non-college educated males make up a city's population, the much greater likelihood of higher homicides.

And the fact of the matter is the "safest" cities have very, very little of this demographic, without exception.

Frankly, we're remiss to not talk about this issue more bluntly, as to me it's devaluing to young AA male lives to normalize or not acknowledge these trends over concerns that such acknowledgement will be perceived as "racist" or antithetical to "liberalism." But that couldn't be further from the truth.

Old 02-27-2022, 12:27 PM

71 posts, read 45,533 times
Nobody still has yet to explain why Boston has a higher poverty rate than both Chicago and DC yet is probably the safest major city in the country, meanwhile Chicago is clocking 800+ murders yearly. but but liberals told me poverty is the reason for violence, rampant looting/shoplifting, and carjacking!

Everybody's afraid to state the real reasons because they don't wanna seem "iNtOlErAnT"...sad!

Old 02-27-2022, 01:15 PM

910 posts, read 1,084,754 times
Portland's black homicide rate was 90/100k last year (35 murders to 37,845 people). To put it in perspective, LA's rate was 40/100k. With all the gangs and hoods in LA, I'm sure no one would've guessed that Portland's black community was twice as deadly. I mean, it's Portland. It has to be something more than just demographics to explain the propensity for violence if it's that bad in Portland all of a sudden.

Old 02-27-2022, 04:15 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
St. Louis is at 22.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City