Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2022, 08:50 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
What? This would 100% be insane to wrap your head around if it were true, fortunately it isn't. I think it's worse that Chicago (797) had close to the same amount of murders in 2021 than the entirety of Japan (874) than having more than NYC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Ment to say the 23 Wards of Tokyo. The whole Tokyo prefecture (13 million) recorded 83 murders in 2021 however.

Still, I think we both get the point of what I was trying to convay.
Not to derail thread by talking about Japan( since we're only allowed to discuss cities/metros in North America), Japan defines "murder cases" to mean both committed and attempted murders, which how it can tally up to 874. If we were to look at only committed murders, then it's much lower than the stated number, given there were only 319 in 2019, a couple years prior. Even back in 2006, the entire Tokyo prefecture had just 55 committed murders. The police have been very vigilant about reducing crime over the decades, to the point now of having to create new petty ones out of boredom. I've heard that either the prefecture or 23 wards of Tokyo had only 14 or so murders during either 2020 or 2021.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2022, 09:55 AM

2,236 posts, read 1,120,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by number 4 mvp View Post
Baltimore's numbers are that bad yep and it's not the only one, as we know a few other cities carry the upper end of murder rates in the US.. imo rates doesn't explain the entire story but ironically, overall a numerical rate do paint a picture. Cities with higher murder rates have more deaths per neighborhood and block relative to its limit size... I look at local examples like San bernardino vs LA, Sb now average a rate 3x LA yet is nearly 20x smaller in population, so Im assuming LA has to have neighborhoods much worse than Sb... but that's not the case from what I saw that even with a much smaller population, the concentration of murders in a given physical size still outweigh the worst of the worst in south central La.. on a street level you can "feel" that area of Sb might be "worse" too not just virtually. There is deff weight when it come to RATES, although again it's not the end all because you have to look at many factors but rates do matter.. and when I mean major cities with 40 or less, I mean not necessarily ones above 1 million but say like Salt Lake City, with 200k, to me I still consider it a major city being major in Utah..

St Louis and Baltimore’s homicide rate is blown out of proportion because of the tiny city limits is all I’m saying.
If you expanded both cities to Houston or Jacksonvilles sizes, the homicide rate would much lower

Old 05-01-2022, 10:19 AM

423 posts, read 303,945 times
Chicago is at 177 as of right now
171. A fatal shooting in Douglas
172. A fatal shooting in Austin
173. A fatal shooting in Roseland that killed a woman
174. A fatal shooting in South Deering
175. Fatal shooting in Kenwood
176. A man killed and another injured in Albany Park
177. A woman killed in Near North Side

Old 05-01-2022, 11:21 AM

6,474 posts, read 4,073,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Not to derail thread by talking about Japan( since we're only allowed to discuss cities/metros in North America), Japan defines "murder cases" to mean both committed and attempted murders, which how it can tally up to 874. If we were to look at only committed murders, then it's much lower than the stated number, given there were only 319 in 2019, a couple years prior. Even back in 2006, the entire Tokyo prefecture had just 55 committed murders. The police have been very vigilant about reducing crime over the decades, to the point now of having to create new petty ones out of boredom. I've heard that either the prefecture or 23 wards of Tokyo had only 14 or so murders during either 2020 or 2021.
This is true for the last decade, Tokyo itself has largely kept under 20 homicides. The suburbs have more homicides than the city. Osaka, itself is like 5 times more dangerous homicide wise. Still low for Japan, but higher than Tokyo.

To keep on topic, anyone got Houston's numbers?

Old 05-01-2022, 12:29 PM

4,218 posts, read 2,457,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
St Louis and Baltimore’s homicide rate is blown out of proportion because of the tiny city limits is all I’m saying.
If you expanded both cities to Houston or Jacksonvilles sizes, the homicide rate would much lower
I hear this all the time, especially from the St Louis crime apologists.

The way these people talk, you would think the cities in question were small enclaves. St Louis is a city of 62 sqm, with 79 defined neighborhoods, that once held 850K+ people.

Baltimore has 250 defined neighborhoods, and once had a population pushing 1 million.

Pittsburgh, Miami, Boston, San Francisco, DC, Manhattan, Newark, and Buffalo all have similar or greater populations than St Louis in a smaller land area, and none of those cities have anywhere near the homicide rate of St Louis.

Old 05-01-2022, 12:37 PM

340 posts, read 175,922 times
Quote:

That's not how things work though, like I mentioned, cities like the 2 you mentioned have a higher rate most likely because that specific small city limit area is bad. Not every bad area is the same.. some cities have more dangerously consistent 1 mile stretches or 30 block radiuses... most if not, all cities have good and bad areas. Look at the murder map for Baltimore for a given year, the western portion of the city is dotted with atleast 1 homicide for each block for many blocks and that makes a huge part of the urban western part.. if the murder rate in Baltimore is half of what it is, then the map would not be heavily dotted as is relative to city size. Basically that 3 square mile area is as bad as any city 3 square mile you can think of is my point.

Old 05-01-2022, 11:28 PM

340 posts, read 175,922 times
https://www.fox6now.com/news/may-vio...onth-milwaukee

Wow Milwaukee homicides are up a whopping 48%, probabaly the largest percentage increase in the nation right now for a sizable city... in context the biggest rise in CA, which is SB at approx 35 Ytd compared to 26 in 2021 is at a 35% increase.

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...-neighborhood/

Oakland's Lake Merritt cul de sac neighborhood already saw 4 homicides in the same spot in less than half a year. Very seedy..

https://lasd.org/transparency/crimeandarrest/

Meanwhile in Los Angeles County, the sheriff reports a -37.80% decrease as of March 31, 2022 compared to Ytd 2021. Compton reported a staggering -61.54% decrease in homicides March 31st Ytd vs 2021.. Compton also reported a nice -28.85% decrease in violent crimes.. although the county sheriff did report an 8.75% increase in violent crimes.

Last edited by number 4 mvp; 05-02-2022 at 12:00 AM..

Old 05-02-2022, 12:36 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Chicago- 183

9 homicides happened from Friday evening to Sunday.

Old 05-02-2022, 06:27 AM

2,236 posts, read 1,120,516 times
Philadelphia 157 compared to 173 last year, down 9%

Old 05-02-2022, 07:27 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Philadelphia 157 compared to 173 last year, down 9%
I figured this year would still be bad, but I am hoping the incremental decrease will slowly increase as the city continues Covid recovery and hopefully even more after the 2023 Mayoral election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City