Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2022, 04:45 PM

910 posts, read 1,084,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Ignore the transportation death rates…

CBSA is a better measurement for cities like St Louis and Baltimore there’s no wacky 40+ homicide rates.
Why can't people just understand that city rates and metro rates are two separate measurements for totally different purposes? I see many posters being dismissive towards city rates when they feel it doesn't reflect the metro; it's not supposed to. I'm not gonna include Randallstown or Middle River if I want to get a proper rate on the violence in Baltimore; nor will I only use Baltimore's rate to encapsulate the violence across the entire metro. The rate is 40+ because it's a direct reflection of the high levels of violence in the core city, not because of "arbitrary city limits".

The only way you can use this city limit argument is for those very small cities like Vernon, CA which have "wacky" violent crime rates like ~23,000/100k due to only having 150 inhabitants, mostly industrial, and 5 square miles. Not established, functional legacy cities like Baltimore and St. Louis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2022, 05:02 PM

4,232 posts, read 2,456,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
Why can't people just understand that city rates and metro rates are two separate measurements for totally different purposes? I see many posters being dismissive towards city rates when they feel it doesn't reflect the metro; it's not supposed to. I'm not gonna include Randallstown or Middle River if I want to get a proper rate on the violence in Baltimore; nor will I only use Baltimore's rate to encapsulate the violence across the entire metro. The rate is 40+ because it's a direct reflection of the high levels of violence in the core city, not because of "arbitrary city limits".

The only way you can use this city limit argument is for those very small cities like Vernon, CA which have "wacky" violent crime rates like ~23,000/100k due to only having 150 inhabitants, mostly industrial, and 5 square miles. Not established, functional legacy cities like Baltimore and St. Louis.
Well said. The "small city limits" argument for cities such as St Louis and Baltimore is utterly ridiculous, and just reeks of crime apologetics/face-saving.

Old 05-03-2022, 06:29 PM

340 posts, read 175,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
1 teen killed & 2 other teens injured in shooting.

Jackson,MS - 44

San Bernardino is like the Hispanic version of Jackson.. 2 more homicides on Sunday May 1st, 1 on Basline the other on Highland ave and not even a report from any local paper other than the crime mapping website. It is now at 37.

Old 05-03-2022, 07:04 PM

6,561 posts, read 12,044,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjohnyang View Post
This is a weird take. Why would someone travel across the country for the express purpose of committing a homicide? Reminds me of summer 2020 when everyone wanted to blame the riots happening in their cities on “outside agitators”. ATL has enough of the homegrown criminal element that you don’t need to go searching out of state for blame.
Well it does happen. It's not like I'm just imagining it. They are catching suspects residing in other states. Even if they are living here locally, it's a pretty good chance they aren't born and raised here as about half the residents are from somewhere else.

Old 05-03-2022, 07:10 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Well said. The "small city limits" argument for cities such as St Louis and Baltimore is utterly ridiculous, and just reeks of crime apologetics/face-saving.
I agree. They are crime stricken places even in their counties. Shootings and murders are commonplace. I hope things can turn around.

Old 05-03-2022, 07:21 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by number 4 mvp View Post
I would look at homicide rate to help paint the picture. Homicide rate is the best indicator of what's going on.. the crime rate went down because people were inside their houses during the pandemic but homicide rate tell you how big the issue is.
It is more than that, though. Race and segregation are big factors, too. In my hometown, the homicide rate went down from last year but crime overall increased dramatically.

https://www.brookings.edu/2022/04/21...n-four-cities/

Old 05-03-2022, 07:42 PM

340 posts, read 175,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
It is more than that, though. Race and segregation are big factors, too. In my hometown, the homicide rate went down from last year but crime overall increased dramatically.

https://www.brookings.edu/2022/04/21...n-four-cities/

Yeah it always come down to poverty imo is one of the biggest factors, sorta like a pyramid effect with poverty at the peak and every other negative feature start appearing. I just use homicide as a single factor in a pyramid style example if we use the crime rate example to compare cities. Overall rate would be the big picture I look at, both violent and property and you can see that when you go to Salt lake city.. SLC is one the major epicenters of the opiod crisis and it's very visible when you hit the poorer parts of the city. There's lots of addicts roaming parking lots, sidewalks, in cars and you can tell it's a white ghetto... I think in the US, the murder rate being so high within the poor AA community is akin to a documentary I seen that took place somewhere with white middle eastern appearing people, in that community they have certain families where revenge killings are legal or been happening for generations.. I believe this is the same effect with African Americans thruout history that retaliation or revenge violence have took seed somewhere in history and spiraled to the widespread effect we see now. The difference I think is that certain racial factors were also in play during it's evolution that created this unique situation.. This is common on the continental Americas as we can see homicide rates are the highest in the world in Latin America... it is a factor of race, poverty and too many factors most likely.

Old 05-03-2022, 08:22 PM

474 posts, read 530,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Well it does happen. It's not like I'm just imagining it. They are catching suspects residing in other states. Even if they are living here locally, it's a pretty good chance they aren't born and raised here as about half the residents are from somewhere else.
I'm not saying it never happens, but claiming that as the reason why homicides are up in a given year, or even that a significant portion of homicides in ATL are driven by residents of Chicago or Philly, is a stretch. Your second point only proves that ATL has a lot of transplants. Until there's data to say that said transplants are committing crimes at a rate that is disproportionately higher than the native population, your claim is speculative at best.

I get that Chicago and Philly are an easy scapegoat for our country's problems, but homicides & violent crime are an endemic threat to virtually every major American city. Pinning the blame on these cities IMO distracts from the fact that gun violence is a problem throughout the US, and prevents us from thinking about it critically.

Last edited by garyjohnyang; 05-03-2022 at 08:33 PM..

Old 05-03-2022, 08:28 PM

3,527 posts, read 2,321,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I agree. They are crime stricken places even in their counties. Shootings and murders are commonplace. I hope things can turn around.
Hard no.

Can't speak on St. Louis but Baltimore County (which surrounds the city) is a compelte paradox to the core city despite virtually of it's population living within a few miles of the Baltimore City/County line.

Baltimore counties population is 850k and had 31 homicides in 2020 and 50 in 2021.

The county and the city are worlds apart. I'd imagine St. Louis's is no different.

Last edited by Joakim3; 05-03-2022 at 09:29 PM..

Old 05-03-2022, 08:43 PM

212 posts, read 147,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Hard no.

Can't speak on St. Louis but Baltimore County (which surrounds the city) is a compelte paradox to thecore city despite virtually of it's population living within a few miles of the Baltimore City/County line.

Baltimore counties population is 850k and had 31 homicides in 2020 and 50 in 2021.

The county and the city are worlds apart. I'd imagine St. Louis's is no different.
u got to remember baltimore has 600k of the county, 50 in a 250k aint bad but it aint good either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City