Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2022, 04:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,463 times

Advertisements

Howdy,

I'm planning on moving to either Nashville, Tenn., or Charleston, SC.

I work remote, so a job isn't an issue.

I'm 37, recently single, and would like to get married someday. I'm also slightly more interested in outdoor activities than drinking at bars regularly.

I would probably live more in the outskirts or suburbs of either city since I would like a house with a yard for my big dog.

I could definitely use your help deciding, because there are pros and cons to each, considering my circumstances:

Charleston Pros
------------------

- I have some extended family in Charleston.

- There's plenty for me to do at the beach: Kite surfing, deep sea fishing, maybe take regular surfing lessons, etc. I could easily build social circles this way.

- I like how downtown Charleston has a lot of character.

- I do enjoy going to beach bars and fine dining.

Charleston Cons
------------------

- There's a lack of four seasons.

- I would pay several hundred dollars a month in state income tax, plus I'm not a fan of the state's vehicle property tax.

- When I came down on a random weekend in October, the traffic and parking at Folly Beach was a bit hectic, and this isn't even during peak tourist season. Would I be able to enjoy the beach without too much traffic on off-peak hours during the week?

- Crime is a major concern for me; I don't think I would be as comfortable out and about here as I would in other cities.

- Like Florida, I think Charleston can suffer from a cultural identity crisis given the amount of snowbirds and other transplants from outside the region.

- I would likely be 30 minutes to an hour from the beach in smooth-flowing traffic, depending on where I live.

- I'm not in love with the geography of South Carolina's low country and it seems like a bit of a drive to visit another city.

Nashville Pros
----------------

- Temperate weather, four seasons, I believe the geography in Tennessee in general is very beautiful, with woods, hills, creeks and caves.

- No state income tax, low property taxes.

- Close enough to Chattanooga and Knoxville for outdoor activities, driving distance to other cities.

- The former student association for my university is bigger in Nashville than Charleston.

- Seems like there's more alternate routes to get around traffic, unlike Charleston which suffers from bridge bottlenecks.

- I've felt "at home" the times I've been to Tennessee.

Nashville Cons
----------------

- No beach

- I won't have any family here, but like I mentioned, my university's association is much larger and more active here.

- I've outgrown the Broadway bar scene.

- Traffic

I would appreciate your input as this is a hard choice for me. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2022, 10:22 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,843,148 times
I’ll only speak for Charleston. Traffic is not great if you need to go downtown daily at rush hour for commuting purposes. Folly Beach will also invariably be the most visited beach due to its location. If you can work in the suburbs and orient yourself to another, better, beach, you could be set (Johns Island would be my choice if I wanted more bang for my buck on land; Mount Pleasant if I wanted more developed suburbia).

That said, you don’t seem inclined to Charleston. You even added a marginal pro (alumni association) in the Nashville con section just to offset the lack of family. You may not mean it, but you seem to be geared towards Nashville.

I’ll be honest, I went to school in Charleston and Charleston-area beach vacations are my favorite vacations. I’d jump at the chance to move there despite the flaws. Mostly because I think the one-two punch of beaches and downtown is amazing. I’d overlook a lot to be able to stroll along the Battery, eat on Meeting Street, golf on Kiawah, and relax on the beach a few times a week. If you are placing great stock in the car tax, I’m inclined to think there may be no need to choose as the choice is obvious.

Old 01-03-2022, 08:41 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,790 times
I would go Nashville (former Nashville resident of 6 years speaking here). That city has boomed and is booming. Biggest downside will be COL and traffic (which is abysmal, depending on where you're going/time of day). Tons of (young) people moving to Nashville, lots of variety (people coming from different states, etc. Great food, lots to do. Keep in mind though, living closer to downtown will be pricey.

Old 01-03-2022, 09:41 AM

10,055 posts, read 14,422,738 times
My thoughts--

I'd pick Nashville for now. Give it a couple of years and see how you like it.

Nashville is much bigger than Charleston and will just offer more of everything. In the past 2-3 years, Nashville's downtown has transformed rapidly for the better. By the next couple of years, it will be even more diverse, vibrant, built up and offering even more restaurants, bars, entertainment venues, shopping, residential, etc.

The big lacking piece for you would be the beach, but flights to Charleston, Savannah, Jacksonville, Tampa, etc, from Nashville would be inexpensive and fast. You could do that 2 times a month and hit the beach.

Then as a goal, maybe plan on moving to Charleston later on, as you find someone and want to move closer to the beach later in life.

Old 01-03-2022, 10:06 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,590,425 times
Theres a reason BNA is topping most lists as #1 destination in the country. I'll leave it at that, but I've spent time (albeit for short work trips) in both Nashville and Charleston, and while both are great, Nashville is a clear winner for relocation.

Old 01-03-2022, 11:54 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastbound View Post
- Like Florida, I think Charleston can suffer from a cultural identity crisis given the amount of snowbirds and other transplants from outside the region.
That's a fair point, but Charleston's regard for its history along with its preservation ethos and architectural standards go a long way towards anchoring the city's material culture.

Old 01-04-2022, 11:45 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,611,270 times
Speaking as one who absolutely loves Charleston, I think you'd be happier in Nashville. Other than the beach (or lack thereof), it seems like most of your desires lean toward that city. And there are nonstop flights from BNA to Charleston and plenty of other beach cities. My thought is, move to Nashville, but enjoy taking vacations to Charleston. Win-win!

Old 01-04-2022, 08:19 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,843,148 times
Long story short: there’s more to do in BNA than CHS just due to scale. However BNA can be matched by AUS and CLT and a few others to a certain extent. What CHS excels at is more unique. Also there is a difference between flying to a beach once a year, and being able to visit the beach any time within minutes. Different mindset, different life.

Last edited by JMT; 01-05-2022 at 11:34 AM..

Old 01-05-2022, 10:50 AM

218 posts, read 213,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastbound View Post

Charleston Pros
------------------

- I have some extended family in Charleston.

- There's plenty for me to do at the beach: Kite surfing, deep sea fishing, maybe take regular surfing lessons, etc. I could easily build social circles this way.

- I like how downtown Charleston has a lot of character.

- I do enjoy going to beach bars and fine dining.

Charleston Cons
------------------

- There's a lack of four seasons.

- I would pay several hundred dollars a month in state income tax, plus I'm not a fan of the state's vehicle property tax.

- When I came down on a random weekend in October, the traffic and parking at Folly Beach was a bit hectic, and this isn't even during peak tourist season. Would I be able to enjoy the beach without too much traffic on off-peak hours during the week?

- Crime is a major concern for me; I don't think I would be as comfortable out and about here as I would in other cities.

- I would likely be 30 minutes to an hour from the beach in smooth-flowing traffic, depending on where I live.

- I'm not in love with the geography of South Carolina's low country and it seems like a bit of a drive to visit another city.

I would appreciate your input as this is a hard choice for me. Thank you!
I can't speak for Nashville, but I can address some of your concerns regarding the Charleston area.

1. The four seasons, fluctuate drastically. December can be warm with cold fronts here and there. Just when you think the cool season is here, you get hit with a hot and humid stretch. Same thing when Spring approaches. Cold and rainy for months, then hot and humid out of nowhere, and back to cold then hot. From what I've experienced, I think mid to upper North Carolina would be your best bet for a changing of the seasons on a better schedule.

2. SC is among the top 10 lowest taxed state. Sure there are other states that offer better tax benefits and even no income tax, but there are always trade-offs.

3. During the summer months, the early bird gets the worm. The weekdays will always be less congested because most people still need to work. However, every beach here will be packed and traffic will be backed up more than usual during the peak season. Being a state that has an extended summer season, the beaches are visited almost year round. This is a side effect of being one of the great historical and coastal cities on the East Coast. Many northerners vacation here every year and eventually stay. This is why we have such a high demand for housing.

4. I don't worry about crime too much. It's going to be everywhere. I don't typically go in areas that have high crime levels and most of the time you won't have to get to your destination. When you have a region like ours that grows so rapidly, standard of living increases, cost of living increases, and it puts pressure on inhabitants that can no longer afford to stay. Over time as local law enforcement grows with the population crime levels out.
Even downtown Charleston is the middle of the night is generally a safe place. There are always college students out and about as well as patrons visiting bars/restaurants up until closing time along with police presence everywhere.

5. As mentioned above, there are so many people flocking here from different states that eventually the ones that have been here all along, locals, natives, etc. will become the minority. It's just part of progression and a melting pot of people attracted to the same place.

We seem to share many of the same outdoor activities which I have no problem indulging in every month of the year. For me it's mostly saltwater fishing. Compared to FL it's going to take a lot longer to get out to the deep sea and the Atlantic is a lot rougher than the GC. Fishing in general here is great, but can't be compared to FL where you can catch deep water species from a pier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City