Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2023, 03:24 PM

3,887 posts, read 2,199,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by illadelph73 View Post
Seems to be bright

San Francisco, CA
Not sure what to say about San Francisco. Seems like a mixture of bright and bleak. Bright in regards to the continuing success of tech and higher education. Bleak in terms of people leaving the city, issues with crime and the homeless. Right now, I think it could go either way. El Paso?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2023, 01:21 AM

6,376 posts, read 4,993,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Not sure what to say about San Francisco. Seems like a mixture of bright and bleak. Bright in regards to the continuing success of tech and higher education. Bleak in terms of people leaving the city, issues with crime and the homeless. Right now, I think it could go either way. El Paso?
I'd say bright, at least as far as growth goes. DFW and Austin are getting unaffordable, so I'd expect some growth to spill into the other TX cities. Honestly I'm a bit surprised it hasn't boomed already, as most "mountain" cities are.

Gary, IN

Old 09-18-2023, 05:23 AM

2,235 posts, read 1,118,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I'd say bright, at least as far as growth goes. DFW and Austin are getting unaffordable, so I'd expect some growth to spill into the other TX cities. Honestly I'm a bit surprised it hasn't boomed already, as most "mountain" cities are.

Gary, IN
Gary has bottomed out; the only way to go is up. The city did a great job eliminating blight these past few years and now there is a chance to hopefully revitalize these areas with new businesses and housing if Gary can find a way to attract jobs and people. WFH, affordability, and distance to Chicago could make it a prime bedroom community, but I don't see that happening within the next decade.

Baltimore

Old 09-18-2023, 08:45 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Gary has bottomed out; the only way to go is up. The city did a great job eliminating blight these past few years and now there is a chance to hopefully revitalize these areas with new businesses and housing if Gary can find a way to attract jobs and people. WFH, affordability, and distance to Chicago could make it a prime bedroom community, but I don't see that happening within the next decade.

Baltimore
Bleak. Great bones but I don't believe in the leadership. Way too much crime to clean up and much better options near by (Philly, DC, Dover, Annapolis, etc) Rooting for it though.

Omaha

Old 09-18-2023, 09:38 AM

8,333 posts, read 5,488,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Bleak. Great bones but I don't believe in the leadership. Way too much crime to clean up and much better options near by (Philly, DC, Dover, Annapolis, etc) Rooting for it though.

Omaha
Bright. Omaha has become a big draw for people from bigger cities that want a smaller place to call home. Its also got some tech giants like Facebook and Google setting up smaller operations.

Houston.

Old 09-18-2023, 10:31 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Bright. Omaha has become a big draw for people from bigger cities that want a smaller place to call home. Its also got some tech giants like Facebook and Google setting up smaller operations.

Houston.
Very bright. Already a top ten city overall and it has the momentum, infrastructure and people to move up.

Huntsville

Old 09-18-2023, 02:18 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Very bright. Already a top ten city overall and it has the momentum, infrastructure and people to move up.

Huntsville
I think Huntsville is a next boom town. Perfectly situated for a substantial amount of growth and development while being highly educated.

Hartford CT

Old 09-18-2023, 07:00 PM

3,887 posts, read 2,199,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I think Huntsville is a next boom town. Perfectly situated for a substantial amount of growth and development while being highly educated.

Hartford CT
I'd say bright. It's still growing although slowly and from what I've read it's combatting it's crime issues. Wichita KS?

Old 09-18-2023, 07:16 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,118,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
I'd say bright. It's still growing although slowly and from what I've read it's combatting it's crime issues. Wichita KS?
Meh.

Wichita really needs to take control of its affordability, because the economy is basically nonexistent and it’s been stagnant forever.

Olympia WA

Old 09-18-2023, 08:06 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,993,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Meh.

Wichita really needs to take control of its affordability, because the economy is basically nonexistent and it’s been stagnant forever.

Olympia WA
Unfortunately I gotta say bleak. I think what Olympia offers (free transit, counterculture, nightlife/music scene) is getting less popular, and its cons (large homeless population, petty crime) are getting more salient to the average mover. Olympia is basically a much smaller, slightly less liberal Portland.

And Thurston County has not done a good job staying affordable. Housing prices are basically the same as Pierce County to the north, despite Pierce being much more populated, having a better job market, being closer to Seattle, and having Mt. Rainier. If you're an average family looking to buy in western Washington, there's not much reason for you to even look in Thurston vs. Kitsap, south Pierce, Skagit etc.

Evergreen State College being on the verge of closing is just the cherry on top...

Vancouver, BC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City