Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2022, 06:46 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,372,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
I'd say bright. Still experiencing job growth and low crime rate. Lincoln NB?
Bright, as the college(U of Nebraska) does very well for this city. And in EVERY decade and Census from 1950 to present(2020), there has been over 10% growth in the population each Census. The population growth from the 2000 Census(17.5% increase vs. 1990) has declined very slightly for the 2020 Census(13.6% increase vs. 2010), but I have no doubt Lincoln is doing well as a city.

Sioux Falls, SD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2022, 06:09 AM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Bright, as the college(U of Nebraska) does very well for this city. And in EVERY decade and Census from 1950 to present(2020), there has been over 10% growth in the population each Census. The population growth from the 2000 Census(17.5% increase vs. 1990) has declined very slightly for the 2020 Census(13.6% increase vs. 2010), but I have no doubt Lincoln is doing well as a city.

Sioux Falls, SD
Bright. Sioux Falls has diversified its economy and recently landed an Amazon facility. The city is an important regional economic generator.

Chattanooga, TN

Old 01-28-2022, 07:33 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,323,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Bright. Sioux Falls has diversified its economy and recently landed an Amazon facility. The city is an important regional economic generator.

Chattanooga, TN
Bright. While I’ve only been through the city, I understand it’s an attractive housing market for young adults and a top logistics hub for the South. Also one of the fastest growing cities in the region. Still affordable, a good downtown, absolutely beautiful natural setting. I also think as Atlanta becomes overcrowded and more expensive, Chattanooga will continue to benefit.

Toronto

Old 01-28-2022, 08:36 AM

1,802 posts, read 1,952,089 times
Super Bright. It's performance has been absolutely amazing over the past 60 years in terms of growth, and its truly emerged as an Alpha World City, and it doesn't seem to be slowing down anytime soon. Certainly in a different league of "Bright" than jjbradleynyc stated about Chicago.

Maybe we should add the "Super Bright" category to offset the standard "Bright", which indicates a solid performance, but not enough to really make a difference as a truly up and coming city. IMO cities like Sioux Falls, Tulsa, Scranton, Little Rock, Independence MO, and Milwaukee are doing decently, but its more of a 30 Watt Bright than a 100 Watt Bright like a Chattanooga, Charleston SC, Nashville, Jacksonville, or Huntsville. You have to separate the A's from the B's.

Youngstown, OH

Old 01-28-2022, 11:47 AM

3,444 posts, read 3,372,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Super Bright. It's performance has been absolutely amazing over the past 60 years in terms of growth, and its truly emerged as an Alpha World City, and it doesn't seem to be slowing down anytime soon. Certainly in a different league of "Bright" than jjbradleynyc stated about Chicago.

Maybe we should add the "Super Bright" category to offset the standard "Bright", which indicates a solid performance, but not enough to really make a difference as a truly up and coming city. IMO cities like Sioux Falls, Tulsa, Scranton, Little Rock, Independence MO, and Milwaukee are doing decently, but its more of a 30 Watt Bright than a 100 Watt Bright like a Chattanooga, Charleston SC, Nashville, Jacksonville, or Huntsville. You have to separate the A's from the B's.

Youngstown, OH
You really think Jacksonville is doing that extremely good? I always had the impression Jacksonville wasn't doing bad in recent years for at least getting some growth, but I wouldn't say Jax is quite growing as fast as say Nashville, Chattanooga, Huntsville, Austin, etc.

Anyway on to the current one of Youngstown. It's a city that has suffered a lot of economic decline due to factories leaving, but I hope this city can turn it around. It does have a notable public college(Youngstown State), so that isn't bad. I'd lean against saying bright for now, and that it leans more towards bleak unfortunately. Since to me, I'm rooting for cities like this to make a comeback.

Florence, AL

Old 01-28-2022, 11:59 AM

457 posts, read 349,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
You really think Jacksonville is doing that extremely good? I always had the impression Jacksonville wasn't doing bad in recent years for at least getting some growth, but I wouldn't say Jax is quite growing as fast as say Nashville, Chattanooga, Huntsville, Austin, etc.

Anyway on to the current one of Youngstown. It's a city that has suffered a lot of economic decline due to factories leaving, but I hope this city can turn it around. It does have a notable public college(Youngstown State), so that isn't bad. I'd lean against saying bright for now, and that it leans more towards bleak unfortunately. Since to me, I'm rooting for cities like this to make a comeback.

Florence, AL
Growth Rates by metros mentioned:
Austin +33.04%
Nashville +20.86%
Jacksonville +19.34%
Huntsville +17.75%
Chattanooga +6.53%

I assume you've never really checked the growth figures for Jacksonville. Perhaps an impression made given the hyperbole that sometimes surrounds it. Chattanooga seems to be the outlier in that group. Was surprised to hear it mentioned actually.

I'd say the Future for Florence AL could be bright given the steps AL is taking to position itself. Time will tell.

Lexington Kentucky.

Old 01-28-2022, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landolakes90 View Post
Growth Rates by metros mentioned:
Austin +33.04%
Nashville +20.86%
Jacksonville +19.34%
Huntsville +17.75%
Chattanooga +6.53%

I assume you've never really checked the growth figures for Jacksonville. Perhaps an impression made given the hyperbole that sometimes surrounds it. Chattanooga seems to be the outlier in that group. Was surprised to hear it mentioned actually.

I'd say the Future for Florence AL could be bright given the steps AL is taking to position itself. Time will tell.

Lexington Kentucky.
Bright! The city has the fastest growing suburbs in the state of KY. It is an important regional destination for its quality healthcare and shopping facilities. The city has grown and has really capitalized on its research institutions.

Park City, UT

Old 01-30-2022, 11:16 PM

3,887 posts, read 2,199,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Bright! The city has the fastest growing suburbs in the state of KY. It is an important regional destination for its quality healthcare and shopping facilities. The city has grown and has really capitalized on its research institutions.

Park City, UT
Bright. Continued success during the ski season and it's close proximity to the SLC area. Augusta ME?

Old 01-31-2022, 07:44 PM

1,732 posts, read 1,892,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Bright. Continued success during the ski season and it's close proximity to the SLC area. Augusta ME?
Neither Bright Nor Bleak, I'd say Average, But since that's not a Option, I'd just Say Bright since it's (Augusta) a State Capital, and Maine is a physically beautiful state especially along the coast

Fort Worth Texas? on it's own, Without Arlington or Dallas

Old 01-31-2022, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Neither Bright Nor Bleak, I'd say Average, But since that's not a Option, I'd just Say Bright since it's (Augusta) a State Capital, and Maine is a physically beautiful state especially along the coast

Fort Worth Texas? on it's own, Without Arlington or Dallas
Very bright. Ft. Worth is more welcoming than Dallas and affordable. I like the smaller city vibe and youthful energy. The city is growing fast. Ft. Worth is attracting new tech jobs.

Toledo, OH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City