Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2022, 08:24 PM

3,888 posts, read 2,202,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Very bright. Ft. Worth is more welcoming than Dallas and affordable. I like the smaller city vibe and youthful energy. The city is growing fast. Ft. Worth is attracting new tech jobs.

Toledo, OH
Bleak.Toledo's job growth is below the national average and is forecast as such for the future. Metro hasn't grown since a small decline in 2019. Valdosta GA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2022, 05:16 AM

1,804 posts, read 1,954,550 times
Not so bright, but not exactly bleak either (leaning slightly toward the bleak camp). Its too far from Atlanta or Jacksonville to have much of a superregional pull like Columbus, Macon, and Augusta do, and for many, an agricultural-based town with rather blah, flat scenery that's a long day trip to the FL coast isn't really for everyone, and will fail to attract the talent like the larger metros will or the retirees that other destinations provide along more scenic areas. Climate change isn't helping matters for its already brutal summers, and for the time being, will best be known as a peanut/onion processing town that's a bathroom/gas stop for I-75 travelers.

Davenport, IA

Old 02-03-2022, 04:08 PM

325 posts, read 204,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Davenport, IA
Somewhat bright. Seems like it's growing again and the COL would be appealing.

San Antonio

Old 02-03-2022, 04:28 PM

423 posts, read 303,945 times
Very bright, as Austin becomes more expensive with the tech people moving in to Austin in droves and Houston gets more spread out, more people are flocking to SATX for good weather though it gets hot in summer, the good Latin influenced atmosphere SATX has, as well as the proximity to the RGV and Corpus Christi, and more cheaper cost of living hopefully they can invest in a new NFL or MLB team to come to SATX.
Brownsville, TX

Old 02-04-2022, 02:26 PM

624 posts, read 906,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoliticsLover2003 View Post
Very bright, as Austin becomes more expensive with the tech people moving in to Austin in droves and Houston gets more spread out, more people are flocking to SATX for good weather though it gets hot in summer, the good Latin influenced atmosphere SATX has, as well as the proximity to the RGV and Corpus Christi, and more cheaper cost of living hopefully they can invest in a new NFL or MLB team to come to SATX.
Brownsville, TX
I read an article a few weeks ago, in state moves to SA. Austin was number one, 2nd was Houston. As for NFL and MLB that may be a long shot. I don’t know many people who visit RGV, Port Aransas is about 2 and a half hours to the beach just north of CC. RGV Port Isabel is 4 hours takes up half the day but the beaches are nicer. I have only been to Brownsville once don’t know much about it.

Old 02-04-2022, 05:38 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH View Post
I read an article a few weeks ago, in state moves to SA. Austin was number one, 2nd was Houston. As for NFL and MLB that may be a long shot. I don’t know many people who visit RGV, Port Aransas is about 2 and a half hours to the beach just north of CC. RGV Port Isabel is 4 hours takes up half the day but the beaches are nicer. I have only been to Brownsville once don’t know much about it.
Got a city?

If not, I'll go: Portland, OR

Old 02-04-2022, 07:15 PM

6,378 posts, read 5,002,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedtodave View Post
If not, I'll go: Portland, OR
Ehh... I'm one of the biggest Portland defenders here but I'm gonna say bleak, at least in the near-term. I don't think the graffiti or the trash left around or the presence of homeless people in a given area affects my QOL, but that is not the majority opinion.

Also I honestly think there's an impending cultural shift away from dense urban living. The population is aging, remote work is growing, LGBTQ+ people and POC are becoming more assimilated into mainstream American culture, suburbs are getting more legit cultural offerings and ethnic food... and honestly, I think Gen Z is trending more politically conservative than us Millennials. It might just be a function of the people I meet in each age range, but I see more reactivity against things like feminism, non-binary people, and wokeness in teens/early-20s people than in the mid-late 20s/30s crowd, and less dialogue about (say) climate change now than 5 or 10 years ago. I think Portland will come to be viewed as a very "2010s" city.

Seattle will keep growing (slowly) in the near-term because of all the high-paying jobs here, but Portland doesn't have that card up its sleeve, and I wouldn't be surprised if their growth turns negative a few years from now.

Washington, DC

Old 02-05-2022, 12:27 AM

497 posts, read 352,105 times
Bright. DC keeps attracting highly educated professionals from diverse backgrounds and many previously sketchy parts are either going through or have already gone through rapid gentrification. DC's high-end shopping is also booming especially if we are talking about the whole DC metro area. It's also very clean and has a lot of green spaces -- it feels urban but not overwhelming and still has a lot of room for breathing.

Reno, NV

Old 02-05-2022, 05:54 AM

14,177 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthCoordinate View Post
Bright. DC keeps attracting highly educated professionals from diverse backgrounds and many previously sketchy parts are either going through or have already gone through rapid gentrification. DC's high-end shopping is also booming especially if we are talking about the whole DC metro area. It's also very clean and has a lot of green spaces -- it feels urban but not overwhelming and still has a lot of room for breathing.

Reno, NV
I'd say that the Vegas line on "The Biggest Little City in the World" is: Bright. Lake Tahoe will continue to be a huge tourist draw, and Reno is the closest city to it.

Is "neutral" an option? I'd place the prospects for the city I live in in that category. Affordability ain't beanbag, and I think that it, for instance, will prove the fly in San Francisco's ointment. Watch for the number of supercommuters from Sacramento to grow.

Moving on: Independence's next-door neighbor, Kansas City, Mo.

Old 02-06-2022, 09:07 PM

3,888 posts, read 2,202,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I'd say that the Vegas line on "The Biggest Little City in the World" is: Bright. Lake Tahoe will continue to be a huge tourist draw, and Reno is the closest city to it.

Is "neutral" an option? I'd place the prospects for the city I live in in that category. Affordability ain't beanbag, and I think that it, for instance, will prove the fly in San Francisco's ointment. Watch for the number of supercommuters from Sacramento to grow.

Moving on: Independence's next-door neighbor, Kansas City, Mo.
I'd say bright especially downtown with all of the infill projects. Kalamazoo MI?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City