Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2022, 04:32 PM

51 posts, read 41,759 times

Advertisements

Currently live in the Missouri bootheel and looking for a change of scenery and weather. I made a criteria of things I will need wherever I end up moving.

Weather: Mild summers with lots of clear days and winters with tons of snow (I have always wanted to experience a White Christmas)

Things to do outside: A big lake with great fishing and terrain hilly enough for some awesome sledding

Culture: Would much rather be somewhere that feels southern or midwestern than northeastern. Very gun-friendly and traditional. No mask wearers.

Houses: Need housing cheap enough to feasibly get a mortgage while working at a grocery store (Minimum wage could also effect this)

Other things: Low crime, low traffic, not touristy, fun things to do in town, not run-down

Should I check out Pennsylvania or Wisconsin? What towns do you recommend I look at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2022, 06:32 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,280,800 times
Wisconsin will be better for lakes. Outside of Lake Erie, PA only has a few man made lakes. It's mostly rivers.

Pennsylvania will be better if you are looking for serious terrain. Although, Wisconsin has lots of rolling drumlins in the east and modest hills and valley terrain in the driftless area of the west.

Rural PA is probably as conservative as rural WI. Not sure on COL. But, I suspect it is roughly even. WI towns may be a little less run down that PA towns. But, there will be a lot of variety. Generally, more prosperous towns will have colleges or tourism/2nd home markets which may make them a little more liberal and expensive.

Old 01-17-2022, 06:51 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
There will be very cheap areas in either, but it'll generally not be that much fun and it will be pretty rundown since there was a lot of deindustrialization. Why these states? It would seem like moving northwards within Missouri or Indiana would be better bets.

Old 01-17-2022, 07:26 PM

51 posts, read 41,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Wisconsin will be better for lakes. Outside of Lake Erie, PA only has a few man made lakes. It's mostly rivers.

Pennsylvania will be better if you are looking for serious terrain. Although, Wisconsin has lots of rolling drumlins in the east and modest hills and valley terrain in the driftless area of the west.

Rural PA is probably as conservative as rural WI. Not sure on COL. But, I suspect it is roughly even. WI towns may be a little less run down that PA towns. But, there will be a lot of variety. Generally, more prosperous towns will have colleges or tourism/2nd home markets which may make them a little more liberal and expensive.
Are Warren, PA and Meadville, PA places that would fit the bill?

Old 01-17-2022, 07:44 PM

9,976 posts, read 5,673,914 times
If you want lots of snow, cheap living, and a big enough town to provide the bare amenities, try Houghton Michigan.

Old 01-18-2022, 07:46 AM

483 posts, read 353,513 times
Honestly your criteria seem to fit pretty much all of the Northern Tier from Maine to Wisconsin.

Thousands of towns that should foot the bill. Unless you're a criminal, a domestic abuser or have a public record of mental illness have guns for recreational use shouldn't be an issue anywhere in the rural US.

The pandemic will be over in a couple of months so by the time you make a move that won't be a consideration.

If you want to live off of minimum wage maybe Upstate New York? That region ticks all of your boxes except for your stated preference for Southern Culture

Old 01-18-2022, 09:29 AM

2,385 posts, read 2,339,384 times
Wisconsin, particularly in the western part of the state. PA overall has some real run down, shabby areas from east to west, especially near Pittsburgh and Erie. Housing in WI is as cheap if not cheaper. Your wage while not high will probably be higher than what you'll make in PA. While winters are cold and gray you'll likely get more blue skies.

Old 01-18-2022, 09:34 AM

1,683 posts, read 2,705,824 times
Another vote for Wisconsin. Lots of lakes, towns less run down and friendly people. You have lots of choices for terrain between different parts of the state.

Old 01-18-2022, 10:52 AM

93,234 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
If you want lots of snow, cheap living, and a big enough town to provide the bare amenities, try Houghton Michigan.
Yeah, I was thinking that places in the upper portion of the lower peninsula would be a good fit as well. A place like Cadillac looks like a potential option.

Old 01-18-2022, 02:25 PM

1,351 posts, read 893,910 times
Wisconsin is going to be a lot sunnier than Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania has actual mountains.

Wisconsin isn't rundown at all. Can't speak to PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City