Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2022, 02:53 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times

Advertisements

A lot of Denver's South suburbs (Douglas County) are quite different than most other suburbs in the area when it comes to landscape and scenery. There are a lot more hills and greenery. Some parts kinda feel like they should be up in the mountains imo. Can't think of what other city they'd fit better in though.

Castle Rock
Castle Pines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2022, 07:01 AM

6,374 posts, read 4,989,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
A lot of Denver's South suburbs (Douglas County) are quite different than most other suburbs in the area when it comes to landscape and scenery. There are a lot more hills and greenery. Some parts kinda feel like they should be up in the mountains imo. Can't think of what other city they'd fit better in though.

Castle Rock
Castle Pines
I agree, those areas look very un-Denver. Maybe like the Hill Country outside of Austin?

Old 02-04-2022, 10:41 AM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I agree, those areas look very un-Denver. Maybe like the Hill Country outside of Austin?
Based off of that link yes. But Castle Rock is far more striking than anything in Austin, and I think Austin is pretty.

Old 02-04-2022, 10:43 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
I feel like all of S. NH feels very different than the rest of Metro Boston. Since a lot of those people who live in S.NH live there for the explicit reason it’s not Massachusetts

I mean the immediate commuter suburbs not the whole state. On the border along/between Rt 3 and 93 The vibe is different in the more distant parts of NH like Dover, Keene or Manchester where people just kind of exist in NH.

Old 02-04-2022, 11:26 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times
I don't know if they belong in a different metro, but the "old money" towns in Chicago feel entirely different than the rest of the metro, which largely features post WWII developments and considerable amounts of major roads and strip malls.

The affluent areas, North Shore in particular, with their lakefront setting, feel very much like legacy NJ/NY/CT/MA suburbs. The major difference being, these suburbs in Chicago are all gridded and connected unlike most in areas like Westchester/Fairfield/MetroWest or North Shore Boston.

It's something about the lushness, and the pre WWII architecture, and the town squares/main streets that make you feel like you're not in IL.

Old 02-04-2022, 11:35 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,056,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I don't know if they belong in a different metro, but the "old money" towns in Chicago feel entirely different than the rest of the metro, which largely features post WWII developments and considerable amounts of major roads and strip malls.

The affluent areas, North Shore in particular, with their lakefront setting, feel very much like legacy NJ/NY/CT/MA suburbs. The major difference being, these suburbs in Chicago are all gridded and connected unlike most in areas like Westchester/Fairfield/MetroWest or North Shore Boston.

It's something about the lushness, and the pre WWII architecture, and the town squares/main streets that make you feel like you're not in IL.
I can see this. They remind me a bit of the Grosse Pointes in Detroit as well.

Old 02-04-2022, 12:43 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,511,932 times
The very tip of the Philadelphia metro around New Castle, Delaware is a whole different world. Rt. 13 was the original coastal highway that connected Philadelphia to Fayetteville, NC. It basically looks like the coastal south. Demographically, it's also probably the furthest place north were the African American communities are more "rural" than "urban". These communities date back hundreds of years and have a more similar story to more southern communities than pretty much anywhere around Philadelphia.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6225...7i16384!8i8192

Old 02-04-2022, 12:43 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,851,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I feel like all of S. NH feels very different than the rest of Metro Boston. Since a lot of those people who live in S.NH live there for the explicit reason it’s not Massachusetts

I mean the immediate commuter suburbs not the whole state. On the border along/between Rt 3 and 93 The vibe is different in the more distant parts of NH like Dover, Keene or Manchester where people just kind of exist in NH.

Are you saying the more distant parts feel more like MA or just that they aren't in Metro Boston so they shouldn't feel like it anyway?

Manchester isn't really distant it's an hour from Boston on I-93 without traffic. It's just about the same distance from Boston (city hall to city hall) as Providence. It's fair to say Providence is a little closer since Boston city hall is on the north side of the city, but they are relatively equidistant.

Nashua to mee feels like MA. It could just be any other similar size mill city in MA just doing a little better than most and considerably worse than the nicest ones. Manchester doesn't feel that different to me either, it pretty much comparable to Lowell, MA in a lot of ways. The main difference is that it's the biggest city in the state, which is a big difference for sure. I think it would still fit in among the MA gateway cities way better than say, Portland Maine

Old 02-04-2022, 02:19 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Are you saying the more distant parts feel more like MA or just that they aren't in Metro Boston so they shouldn't feel like it anyway?

Manchester isn't really distant it's an hour from Boston on I-93 without traffic. It's just about the same distance from Boston (city hall to city hall) as Providence. It's fair to say Providence is a little closer since Boston city hall is on the north side of the city, but they are relatively equidistant.

Nashua to mee feels like MA. It could just be any other similar size mill city in MA just doing a little better than most and considerably worse than the nicest ones. Manchester doesn't feel that different to me either, it pretty much comparable to Lowell, MA in a lot of ways. The main difference is that it's the biggest city in the state, which is a big difference for sure. I think it would still fit in among the MA gateway cities way better than say, Portland Maine
Yes the band of new growth towns immediately on the border east of Nashua are full of people who live in those towns pretty much explicitly to avoid living in Massachusetts. While places like Manchester are far away enough it’s not full of Massachusetts commuters. It’s just people who happen to live 50 miles from Boston. It’s a weird dynamic where the border towns are very different while the places that were more established don’t have the intentional culture clash.

This leads to NH being an odd state where the reddest areas are actually suburban not rural.

Old 02-04-2022, 10:27 PM

1,168 posts, read 776,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
Alpharetta, GA seems like it could fit right into the DC suburban NoVA/Maryland area.
I definitely see the comparisons to the DMV, but in my opinion no part of the Atlanta area doesn't feel like Atlanta to me.

I honestly feel like it's one of the few major metros in the country where everything kind of blends together and looks the same; especially considering its vast size. I actually like this as I feel like uniformity is one of the most attractive qualities an urban area can have. I don't too much like the random, disjointed look of places like LA and Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City