Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2022, 03:30 PM

562 posts, read 1,126,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
Alpharetta, GA seems like it could fit right into the DC suburban NoVA/Maryland area.
I will also add that there are many similarities between the Prince George’s County MD suburbs of DC and the DeKalb County suburbs of Atlanta!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2022, 05:32 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
The Woodlands has always seemed way more woody than the majority of Houston, but ost of exurban Northern Houston has that feel so don’t know if it’s unique enough to say it’s a different metro area. Also it’s homes are very Houston even if the topography is different.

Old 04-09-2022, 10:45 PM

7 posts, read 6,311 times
O'Fallon, MO. Although it's a suburb of St. Louis, it has the characteristics of a booming sunbelt suburb: multitudes of new subdivisions sprouting out former farmland; wide multi-lane roads; and topography that's rolling and varied enough that it's not completely boring but also not too rugged to develop on. If O'Fallon was suddenly placed into Forsyth or Cherokee County
(really any sprawling county in the outer ring of the Atlanta area) it would fit right it.

Old 04-09-2022, 11:09 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
The Woodlands has always seemed way more woody than the majority of Houston, but ost of exurban Northern Houston has that feel so don’t know if it’s unique enough to say it’s a different metro area. Also it’s homes are very Houston even if the topography is different.
This is true across much of the I-10 corridor. North Baton Rouge suburbs are hilly and feature pine trees, unheard of in BR and New Orleans. The northshore of New Orleans is the same.

Old 04-10-2022, 03:00 AM

6,378 posts, read 5,002,937 times
Always thought Beech Grove in the Indianapolis area felt like a Chicago suburb, maybe somewhere in the south suburbs like Matteson or Worth or South Holland. Just having this kinda denser, older, dated feel with a small walkable downtown feels unusual in the Indy area.

https://goo.gl/maps/qqHyr1hGWXrrLxNK6
https://goo.gl/maps/gy4xoHVuDyZ4at4DA

Old 04-10-2022, 05:55 AM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
This is true across much of the I-10 corridor. North Baton Rouge suburbs are hilly and feature pine trees, unheard of in BR and New Orleans. The northshore of New Orleans is the same.
And you drive over water for 24 miles to get to it.

Old 04-10-2022, 06:23 AM

4,536 posts, read 5,103,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsmiths View Post
Burr Ridge right outside of Chicago reminds me of the North Atlanta suburbs with the hilliness and big mansions. People think all of Chicagoland is pancake flat but there's some topography in the burbs.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7219...8i8192!5m1!1e4

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7267...8i8192!5m1!1e4
... and hence the name: Burr Ridge... I've always thought of Chicagoland as pancake flat but, of course, there are always exceptions. Just from these Google Street View photos, this area looks surprisingly rural being so close to such a mega-city as Chicago... Nice new-ish houses.

Old 04-10-2022, 06:40 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDAirportAPM View Post
Irvine feels like it should be a Bay Area suburb. Outside of Hollywood, SoCal is largely blue collar, small business, slow-paced, and Hispanic. Irvine, however, is very Asian (especially Chinese/Taiwanese and Korean), highly educated, corporate, and fast-paced, with a lot of tech, finance, and pharma, just like the Bay Area.

I'd say Irvine would be like a posh East Bay burb like San Ramon, as Irvine has virtually zero homeless and I'd believe San Ramon also doesn't.
Strong disagree here. Have you been to SoCal? Irvine is not the only majority Asian suburb. The entire San Gabriel Valley region is filled with cities that have majority Asian demographics. And the SGV is certainly not a blue collar side of town. The build design of Irvine is no different than many South/Central Orange County cities. Theres also different Asians in each city. San Ramon has far more South Asians, while Irvine is dominated by East Asians. The SGV by the way is predominantly East Asian too.

Old 04-10-2022, 07:52 AM

45 posts, read 25,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Strong disagree here. Have you been to SoCal? Irvine is not the only majority Asian suburb. The entire San Gabriel Valley region is filled with cities that have majority Asian demographics. And the SGV is certainly not a blue collar side of town. The build design of Irvine is no different than many South/Central Orange County cities. Theres also different Asians in each city. San Ramon has far more South Asians, while Irvine is dominated by East Asians. The SGV by the way is predominantly East Asian too.
I grew up in Orange County. I get that LA has a huge Chinese population in the SGV. But that's diluted by the large Hispanic population. In the Bay Area you proportionally have a lot more Asians than in LA. Sure there are pockets of rich Asian suburbs in LA but I'm arguing that they feel a bit out of place in Greater LA and might as well be Bay Area suburbs plopped into LA.

Old 04-10-2022, 08:49 AM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
SoCal definitely doesn’t feel as Asiany as The Bay Area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City