Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is more accepting of black/white couples.
Northeast 18 18.18%
Midwest 4 4.04%
South 40 40.40%
West 37 37.37%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2022, 08:31 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times

Advertisements

I think one of the things that sort of trips people up is there's two kinds of black/white interracial couples. On one hand, there's the kind of black person a white middle-class person would date. On the other hand, there's the type of white person who would date a typical black person.

FWIW, I see lots of interracial couples (and even more interracial kids) here in Pittsburgh. But 90% of them are working-class whites with working-class blacks. This is particularly common in the areas of the city (and some outlying mill towns) where the population is pretty evenly split.

The black middle class is much smaller proportionately (big brain drain out of the region) and tends to be more socially isolated than a lot of other cities (to the point you really see no black people at all in a lot of the "hip" bars/restaurants).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2022, 09:27 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I think one of the things that sort of trips people up is there's two kinds of black/white interracial couples. On one hand, there's the kind of black person a white middle-class person would date. On the other hand, there's the type of white person who would date a typical black person.

FWIW, I see lots of interracial couples (and even more interracial kids) here in Pittsburgh. But 90% of them are working-class whites with working-class blacks. This is particularly common in the areas of the city (and some outlying mill towns) where the population is pretty evenly split.

The black middle class is much smaller proportionately (big brain drain out of the region) and tends to be more socially isolated than a lot of other cities (to the point you really see no black people at all in a lot of the "hip" bars/restaurants).
I wonder if that has to do with said folks going to places that are more in line with the local black professional scene too. Some may also form their own events on the low as well.

In terms of further up, I'm also wondering if it is a matter of said people living in relatively close proximity or at least going to the same schools. Especially in the mill towns/smaller cities outside of Pittsburgh, which have had long time black populations and the white population is more ethnic. Meaning, both groups likely arrived in these communities around the same time and don't know any different. So, places like Donora, Monessen, Beaver Falls, Midland, Homestead, the Aliquippa area, New Castle, McKeesport, Rochester, New Kensington/Arnold, Washington, Uniontown, etc. are the types of places where this is likely to and does occur. That's not to say they are perfect, but given the close proximity and history, it makes sense.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-11-2022 at 09:41 AM..

Old 02-11-2022, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I wonder if that has to do with said folks going to places that are more in line with the local black professional scene too. Some may also form their own events on the low as well.
That is absolutely the case. Also, the black professional scene has exited the city for the eastern suburbs (particularly the Monroeville area).

Quote:
In terms of further up, I'm also wondering if it is a matter of said people living in relatively close proximity or at least going to the same schools. Especially in the mill towns/smaller cities outside of Pittsburgh, which have had long time black populations and the white population is more ethnic. Meaning, both groups likely arrived in these communities around the same time and don't know any different. So, places like Donora, Monessen, Beaver Falls, Midland, Homestead, the Aliquippa area, New Castle, McKeesport, Rochester, New Kensington/Arnold, Washington, Uniontown, etc. are the types of places where this is likely to and does occur. That's not to say they are perfect, but given the close proximity and history, it makes sense.
There was historically pretty virulent anti-black racism in these towns, even through around 20 years ago. In a lot of these places, black workers were first imported as strikebreakers, which left a bad taste in peoples mouths for generations.

But with the younger generation of working-class whites, there's been an almost total assimilation to black culture in the more urban neighborhoods. I mean, I used to see it all the time in my old neighborhood (before it gentrified). All of the teenage white boys and girls were into hip-hop, wore black fashion, and even tried to talk black. One of my black coworkers told me one night she was freaked out when she heard people screaming the n word back and forth in her neighborhood, and it was just two white teenagers talking to one another.

Pittsburgh probably is somewhat atypical however, as there's a relatively large number of working-class white folks who still live in urban areas, as opposed to out in the sticks.

Old 02-11-2022, 12:48 PM

Quote:
That is absolutely the case. Also, the black professional scene has exited the city for the eastern suburbs (particularly the Monroeville area).

There was historically pretty virulent anti-black racism in these towns, even through around 20 years ago. In a lot of these places, black workers were first imported as strikebreakers, which left a bad taste in peoples mouths for generations.

But with the younger generation of working-class whites, there's been an almost total assimilation to black culture in the more urban neighborhoods. I mean, I used to see it all the time in my old neighborhood (before it gentrified). All of the teenage white boys and girls were into hip-hop, wore black fashion, and even tried to talk black. One of my black coworkers told me one night she was freaked out when she heard people screaming the n word back and forth in her neighborhood, and it was just two white teenagers talking to one another.

Pittsburgh probably is somewhat atypical however, as there's a relatively large number of working-class white folks who still live in urban areas, as opposed to out in the sticks.
Interesting...Which places in particular are you referring to? I ask because the black population in many of these places have been there for at least several decades, if not over a century.

Old 02-11-2022, 01:40 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times
Black-interracial dating population has and always will be inversely related to the black population of an area. The U.K which is 2% Black, has the vast majority of Afro-Caribbean people who are 2nd and 3rd generation being mixed race.

The intermarriage rate their among Afro-Caribbean people is a staggering.
https://www.theguardian.com/news/dat...c-relationship

43% for Afro-Caribbean's, 62% for other Black (Non-African/Non-Caribbean).

Now back to the U.S. It seems like the majority of non-African people I here about from Portland/Seattle are either mixed race or in a mixed-race relationship. PNW while progressive also has basically no black people outside of pockets of South Seattle/South Seattle Suburbs and the city of Portland. So, I think it's honeslty the perfect mix in that regard. NorCal, especially Sacramento-San Francisco-Stockton seem similar, although it's gonna be less strictly Black-White, and more Black-Asian, Black-Hispanic or Black-Other relationships.

Old 02-11-2022, 02:53 PM

2,857 posts, read 2,169,936 times
Quote:
Interesting...Which places in particular are you referring to? I ask because the black population in many of these places have been there for at least several decades, if not over a century.
I heard that there are lots of places in the Allegheny part of Pennsylvania where you can find Confederate flags. Even Gettysburg of all places.

Old 02-11-2022, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
I heard that there are lots of places in the Allegheny part of Pennsylvania where you can find Confederate flags. Even Gettysburg of all places.
I'm sure in the rural communities and select individuals, but the mill towns are more urban in character.

Old 02-11-2022, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Off the top of my head? Wilmerding, Pitcairn, East Pittsburgh, Duquesne, Clairton, Mckeesport, McKees Rocks, Sharpsburg. Bellevue, ect.

Old 02-11-2022, 06:15 PM

3,158 posts, read 2,209,438 times
I can't speak to the social dynamics firsthand, but some small Rust Belt cities have sizable populations who identified as both White and Black (and sometimes at least one other group as well) on the 2020 census. The city of Sandusky in north central Ohio has close to 6% of residents who checked both the White and Black boxes - about 1,500 out of 25,000. The national average is closer to 1.5%.

Sandusky, Ohio demographics

Old 02-11-2022, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Off the top of my head? Wilmerding, Pitcairn, East Pittsburgh, Duquesne, Clairton, Mckeesport, McKees Rocks, Sharpsburg. Bellevue, ect.
I believe that Duquesne has been predominantly black for a while now. McKees Rocks I believe got the bulk of its black population later. Clairton has had a black population for decades, as has McKeesport. So, a few of these are a little bit different.

To illustrate some area mill towns/smaller cities where where said couples in the thread are more likely by their HS or other school enrollments. Monessen: https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...D=421560006181

Beaver Falls: https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...D=420363000649

Valley Jr/Sr HS(shared between New Kensington and Arnold): https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...D=421674007544

McKeesport: https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...D=421494006105

New Castle: https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...D=421662002704

Rochester(Elementary): https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...D=422046010017

Washington: https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...D=422499004286

Coraopolis' Cornell HS: https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...D=420681007335

Ringgold Elementary South in Monongahela(but gets kids from Donora): https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/sc...D=422040007407
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City