Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is more accepting of black/white couples.
Northeast 18 18.18%
Midwest 4 4.04%
South 40 40.40%
West 37 37.37%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2022, 02:45 PM

313 posts, read 159,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Arizona feels conservative to me for sure.
Facts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2022, 02:54 PM

1,366 posts, read 612,242 times
I voted NE.

Apparently the most accepting is Hawaiian Archipelago.

https://2date4love.com/interracial-m...20with%2030%25.

Old 03-06-2022, 03:00 PM

Despite of who are racist or social class status,it's really
About education and respecting people for who they are
And those work and decent.
The Top 15 Communities on interracial dating and Marriage
By Cities.I would say my opinion and places I been
Sacramento
Seattle
San Diego
Minneapolis
Denver
San Antonio
Boston
Columbus
Bay Area
Phoenix
New York
Miami
Austin
Los Angeles
Houston

Old 03-06-2022, 07:17 PM

Despite of Race issues or class status,its mainly about
About respect education and hardworking individuals and well being.
My top 15 U.S Communities for interracial Dating and
Marriage by Cities. Based on my opinion and places I been.
1 Sacramento
2 Seattle
3 San Diego
4 Columbus
5 Minneapolis
6 San Antonio
7 New York
8 Bay Area
9 Boston
10 Denver
11 Miami
12 Austin
13 Houston
14 Phoenix
15 Los Angeles

Old 03-07-2022, 05:27 PM

1,153 posts, read 630,475 times
As a Black guy currently dating a White girl in the Northeast, I'd interracial dating is pretty normative in all regions but the South and the West Coast is tied in terms of the most acceptance, ironically for totally different reasons.

In the South, outside of Appalachia and Western Texas, most people are familiar with Black people. Even the types of people waving Confederate flags or are super Far Right are familiar with at least some Black people due to the heavy concentration of Black people in most Southern states.

There's a funny saying that goes(and I paraphrase): "White Southerners will accept a Black neighbor but not a Black boss. White Northerners will accept a Black boss but not a Black neighbor."

Of course, this is a rather outdated saying but there's some truth to it. White Southerners tend to see Black Southerners as part of their culture, even if some of them have grievances with certain types of Black people or groups like BLM and what have you. As a result, interracial dating and bi-racial children in most parts of the South is just normal to people. I have some White friends who moved from Connecticut to the Carolinas and, judging from Facebook alone, it appears that they're in contact with more interracial couples down there than they were up here.

And you also have the elements of the "New South"(Houston, Atlanta, Charlotte, NOVA, DFW, Charleston, Nashville, etc.) where people generally care less than the Old South(Mississippi, Alabama, Lousiana, Arkansas, West Virginia).

If anything, I think politics and religion could be just as big if not a bigger barrier in Southern states than race alone. Of course, you have some old school minded Whites and Blacks who are still opposed to interracial dating but they're not as common as people think.

I see the West getting ruled out here but I think people are overlooking one key factor of Western Black/White acceptance: the "Token" factor.

Greater Seattle, statistically, has a higher proportion of Bi-Racial Black/White children than many parts of the country. Tacoma, in particular, has one of the highest percentage of mixed race people outside of Hawaii with many being part Black.

In the West, Black people don't form a huge demographic or voting bloc so the stigmas against Black folks dating Whites is rare because we're still a novelty in many areas out West. Hell, if anything, Black people out West probably have more barriers to overcome dating out with non-Black minorities than White people out West.

Even in a Red state like Utah, tons of Black people including Mia Love have White partners and I remember watching a TLC show called "Four Weddings" where four thin, Blonde White women from Arizona ALL had Black husbands. Literally every one had a Black spouse and not a single one looked "fat or trashy" like the typical stereotype for White women who date Black men.

In fact, if we're strictly talking White people who are 7.5+ in terms of looks, I'd say the West is the most accepting even above the South. The South has more interracial dating in raw numbers but, keeping it a buck, the average White person in these type of unions down there aren't exactly Angelina Jolie or Brad Pitt as far as looks goes. But you'll see some good looking interracial pairings in colleges down South though.

Old 03-07-2022, 05:53 PM

12,823 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
As a Black guy currently dating a White girl in the Northeast, I'd interracial dating is pretty normative in all regions but the South and the West Coast is tied in terms of the most acceptance, ironically for totally different reasons.

In the South, outside of Appalachia and Western Texas, most people are familiar with Black people. Even the types of people waving Confederate flags or are super Far Right are familiar with at least some Black people due to the heavy concentration of Black people in most Southern states.

There's a funny saying that goes(and I paraphrase): "White Southerners will accept a Black neighbor but not a Black boss. White Northerners will accept a Black boss but not a Black neighbor."

Of course, this is a rather outdated saying but there's some truth to it. White Southerners tend to see Black Southerners as part of their culture, even if some of them have grievances with certain types of Black people or groups like BLM and what have you. As a result, interracial dating and bi-racial children in most parts of the South is just normal to people. I have some White friends who moved from Connecticut to the Carolinas and, judging from Facebook alone, it appears that they're in contact with more interracial couples down there than they were up here.

And you also have the elements of the "New South"(Houston, Atlanta, Charlotte, NOVA, DFW, Charleston, Nashville, etc.) where people generally care less than the Old South(Mississippi, Alabama, Lousiana, Arkansas, West Virginia).

If anything, I think politics and religion could be just as big if not a bigger barrier in Southern states than race alone. Of course, you have some old school minded Whites and Blacks who are still opposed to interracial dating but they're not as common as people think.

I see the West getting ruled out here but I think people are overlooking one key factor of Western Black/White acceptance: the "Token" factor.

Greater Seattle, statistically, has a higher proportion of Bi-Racial Black/White children than many parts of the country. Tacoma, in particular, has one of the highest percentage of mixed race people outside of Hawaii with many being part Black.

In the West, Black people don't form a huge demographic or voting bloc so the stigmas against Black folks dating Whites is rare because we're still a novelty in many areas out West. Hell, if anything, Black people out West probably have more barriers to overcome dating out with non-Black minorities than White people out West.

Even in a Red state like Utah, tons of Black people including Mia Love have White partners and I remember watching a TLC show called "Four Weddings" where four thin, Blonde White women from Arizona ALL had Black husbands. Literally every one had a Black spouse and not a single one looked "fat or trashy" like the typical stereotype for White women who date Black men.

In fact, if we're strictly talking White people who are 7.5+ in terms of looks, I'd say the West is the most accepting even above the South. The South has more interracial dating in raw numbers but, keeping it a buck, the average White person in these type of unions down there aren't exactly Angelina Jolie or Brad Pitt as far as looks goes. But you'll see some good looking interracial pairings in colleges down South though.
Great post. Blacks are more populated in the south so whites in the south have had to communicate with them, begrudgingly or not. People in the mountain west or some parts of the midwest, and I'm talking rural people, aren't used to minorities so they may be more hostile.

Old 03-07-2022, 06:28 PM

93,236 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Something people may not consider in this regional talk in terms of the subject is that transplants to say the South may also bring a more "liberal" attitude in terms of dating as well.

Old 03-09-2022, 12:24 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,610,521 times
Mixed race couples in the smaller towns of the Midwest draw more attention and raise more eyebrows.

Old 03-09-2022, 10:34 AM

2,653 posts, read 2,094,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post

Even in the " Old South" locale the attitude is about same as " New South" locale. IIRC, Mississippi have one of the highest growth rate amongst mixed people population.

Old 07-10-2022, 04:51 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,641,845 times
From the perspective of population statistics, it must be pointed out that within a metro population there can clusters of different types of racism. For example, I normally would have thought that Palo Alto, CA is very liberal, pro-LGBTQ, and completely inclusive of interracial couples. But Bill Gates' teen daughter is dealing with huge racism right now because she apparently has an African American boyfriend at Stanford. He reminds me of the late 1980s singer Al B - lol. She is dealing with the racist slurs that are designated toward white women who date black men. It starts with the word "coal" or "mud". That is generally coming from racist white men who are older. But there are statistical outliers on that pattern.

My gut feeling is that Bill likely accepts the relationship if kept in proper perspective (not rushing into marriage). I am a software engineer and know that Seattle and Microsoft are generally very liberal and "ultra-woke" to another level. Bill's co-founder, Ballmer' was considered the best "non-racist" guy to take over the San Diego Clippers after the prior owner had a controvery with racism. A 2nd wave of "subtle racism" can occur in a few years if Phoebe's interracial relatioship fizzles. There is a pattern of covert racism such that a white woman who has dated black men is often ostracized once that history is learned by potential white male suitors. There are many cases where young, supposedly (and not outwardly) non-racist, liberal white men have backed out of relationships with white women upon learning of the history of interracial dating in her background. Hence, there are two patterns of racism - blatant and subtle.

So, despite the liberal areas of the west in places like Palo Alto, CA the racism against black/white interracial couples can still occur - especially on social media. The racism can be decomposed into subtle and blatant categories when analyzing the white racism against such couples. However, there can also be resentment from black women when black men reject them to be with white women - especially an extremely wealthy, highly-educated college coed female like Gates' daughter. This category of racism within minority groups is also real - colorism. There is a pattern of black men rejecting darker black women for the sake of dating lighter-skinned minorities or white women. Watch Spike Lee's "School Daze" and it's all there to see - the light-skinned African American sorority versus the dark-skinned sorority. It's called colorism. There used to be a brown paper bag test - keep the darker students out. So, some of the negative comments on Tik Tok against the relationship are likely coming from black women. But in their cases the resentment is often justified (in my opinion). They are dealing with colorism from black men in some cases. To be fair, it's not always like that, but it does happen.

In summary, the racism in that case of Phoebe and her black boyfriend can be decomposed into three subcategories:
* blatant racism - typically from older white males who can't stand it
* subtle racism - could be from younger, more liberal individuals who are covert
* colorism (from the black guy who rejects darker, black women to be with affluent white women)

My impression is that many young white women are unaware of the 2nd and 3rd subcategories. It's probably easy for them to dismiss blatant racism. But are they aware of the covert forms and colorism? It would be interesting to see how they react. They most likely don't know about it. Meanwhile, many of the school systems are on a movement to remove academic topics on racism and its different forms like with DeSantis in FL. Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City