Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is more accepting of black/white couples.
Northeast 18 18.18%
Midwest 4 4.04%
South 40 40.40%
West 37 37.37%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2022, 05:29 AM

817 posts, read 626,876 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2022, 06:48 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,973,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
From the perspective of population statistics, it must be pointed out that within a metro population there can clusters of different types of racism. For example, I normally would have thought that Palo Alto, CA is very liberal, pro-LGBTQ, and completely inclusive of interracial couples. But Bill Gates' teen daughter is dealing with huge racism right now because she apparently has an African American boyfriend at Stanford. He reminds me of the late 1980s singer Al B - lol. She is dealing with the racist slurs that are designated toward white women who date black men. It starts with the word "coal" or "mud". That is generally coming from racist white men who are older. But there are statistical outliers on that pattern.

My gut feeling is that Bill likely accepts the relationship if kept in proper perspective (not rushing into marriage). I am a software engineer and know that Seattle and Microsoft are generally very liberal and "ultra-woke" to another level. Bill's co-founder, Ballmer' was considered the best "non-racist" guy to take over the San Diego Clippers after the prior owner had a controvery with racism. A 2nd wave of "subtle racism" can occur in a few years if Phoebe's interracial relatioship fizzles. There is a pattern of covert racism such that a white woman who has dated black men is often ostracized once that history is learned by potential white male suitors. There are many cases where young, supposedly (and not outwardly) non-racist, liberal white men have backed out of relationships with white women upon learning of the history of interracial dating in her background. Hence, there are two patterns of racism - blatant and subtle.

So, despite the liberal areas of the west in places like Palo Alto, CA the racism against black/white interracial couples can still occur - especially on social media. The racism can be decomposed into subtle and blatant categories when analyzing the white racism against such couples. However, there can also be resentment from black women when black men reject them to be with white women - especially an extremely wealthy, highly-educated college coed female like Gates' daughter. This category of racism within minority groups is also real - colorism. There is a pattern of black men rejecting darker black women for the sake of dating lighter-skinned minorities or white women. Watch Spike Lee's "School Daze" and it's all there to see - the light-skinned African American sorority versus the dark-skinned sorority. It's called colorism. There used to be a brown paper bag test - keep the darker students out. So, some of the negative comments on Tik Tok against the relationship are likely coming from black women. But in their cases the resentment is often justified (in my opinion). They are dealing with colorism from black men in some cases. To be fair, it's not always like that, but it does happen.

In summary, the racism in that case of Phoebe and her black boyfriend can be decomposed into three subcategories:
* blatant racism - typically from older white males who can't stand it
* subtle racism - could be from younger, more liberal individuals who are covert
* colorism (from the black guy who rejects darker, black women to be with affluent white women)

My impression is that many young white women are unaware of the 2nd and 3rd subcategories. It's probably easy for them to dismiss blatant racism. But are they aware of the covert forms and colorism? It would be interesting to see how they react. They most likely don't know about it. Meanwhile, many of the school systems are on a movement to remove academic topics on racism and its different forms like with DeSantis in FL. Go figure.
True stuff about Black women. My partner is white and she swears she receives the dirtiest looks from Black women meanwhile they treat me super nice when they see us together. One time she said she was being treated nice but as soon as I walked up the girl's attitude changed and she started being rude, but kept smiling at me. Earlier on in our relationship it was a real thing and sometimes she'd even want to get upset at me loke I had something to do with it, but she's gotten used to it now

Old 07-10-2022, 07:50 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
No matter what region, Black (men in particular) in interracial relationships will always draw some eye-raises. Thankfully, the majority of people will not care. There will always be some who view it as taboo, particularly with black men. Obviously you’ll get more of this in the small towns in the south and midwest.

Old 07-10-2022, 02:41 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
No matter what region, Black (men in particular) in interracial relationships will always draw some eye-raises. Thankfully, the majority of people will not care. There will always be some who view it as taboo, particularly with black men. Obviously you’ll get more of this in the small towns in the south and midwest.
In terms of the bolded, I think it depends on where you are. There are some small towns that have visible to high black populations and in turn, it may not be as much of a surprise.

Old 07-10-2022, 05:25 PM

406 posts, read 340,969 times
Quote:
From the perspective of population statistics, it must be pointed out that within a metro population there can clusters of different types of racism. For example, I normally would have thought that Palo Alto, CA is very liberal, pro-LGBTQ, and completely inclusive of interracial couples. But Bill Gates' teen daughter is dealing with huge racism right now because she apparently has an African American boyfriend at Stanford. He reminds me of the late 1980s singer Al B - lol. She is dealing with the racist slurs that are designated toward white women who date black men. It starts with the word "coal" or "mud". That is generally coming from racist white men who are older. But there are statistical outliers on that pattern.

My gut feeling is that Bill likely accepts the relationship if kept in proper perspective (not rushing into marriage). I am a software engineer and know that Seattle and Microsoft are generally very liberal and "ultra-woke" to another level. Bill's co-founder, Ballmer' was considered the best "non-racist" guy to take over the San Diego Clippers after the prior owner had a controvery with racism. A 2nd wave of "subtle racism" can occur in a few years if Phoebe's interracial relatioship fizzles. There is a pattern of covert racism such that a white woman who has dated black men is often ostracized once that history is learned by potential white male suitors. There are many cases where young, supposedly (and not outwardly) non-racist, liberal white men have backed out of relationships with white women upon learning of the history of interracial dating in her background. Hence, there are two patterns of racism - blatant and subtle.

So, despite the liberal areas of the west in places like Palo Alto, CA the racism against black/white interracial couples can still occur - especially on social media. The racism can be decomposed into subtle and blatant categories when analyzing the white racism against such couples. However, there can also be resentment from black women when black men reject them to be with white women - especially an extremely wealthy, highly-educated college coed female like Gates' daughter. This category of racism within minority groups is also real - colorism. There is a pattern of black men rejecting darker black women for the sake of dating lighter-skinned minorities or white women. Watch Spike Lee's "School Daze" and it's all there to see - the light-skinned African American sorority versus the dark-skinned sorority. It's called colorism. There used to be a brown paper bag test - keep the darker students out. So, some of the negative comments on Tik Tok against the relationship are likely coming from black women. But in their cases the resentment is often justified (in my opinion). They are dealing with colorism from black men in some cases. To be fair, it's not always like that, but it does happen.

In summary, the racism in that case of Phoebe and her black boyfriend can be decomposed into three subcategories:
* subtle racism - could be from younger, more liberal individuals who are covert
* colorism (from the black guy who rejects darker, black women to be with affluent white women)

My impression is that many young white women are unaware of the 2nd and 3rd subcategories. It's probably easy for them to dismiss blatant racism. But are they aware of the covert forms and colorism? It would be interesting to see how they react. They most likely don't know about it. Meanwhile, many of the school systems are on a movement to remove academic topics on racism and its different forms like with DeSantis in FL. Go figure.
I am a Black man who has mostly dated White women. I always thought interracial dating (White women/Black men) is very well accepted in the liberal parts of the US, such as Palo Alto, CA. I currently reside near Wichita, KS (where I've been for 9 months) and I rarely see White women dating outside their race. The area feels like it is stuck in the 1950s.

Old 07-10-2022, 11:35 PM

2,653 posts, read 2,094,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Southern small towns will be a mixed reaction as larger municipalities. Also consider that small town black population is predominately southern so you'll see more pairings than you'd expect.

Old 07-11-2022, 06:13 AM

2,814 posts, read 2,280,800 times
Quote:

I'm not sure we can really use the Bill Gates daughter as an indication of attitudes in Palo Alto. It looks like she posted a picture on social media and some trolls posted some rude and in some cases down right racist tweets. This looks more like a clickbait driven story about people being jerks online than a sign that there is any real world blowback in Palo Alto.

https://nypost.com/2022/07/07/phoebe...ith-black-man/

Here's one of the problematic tweets:
https://mobile.twitter.com/jrnonefly...0%2Fframe.html

Daily Mail has some more snippets of tweets. None seem to be from people in Palo Alto.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-trolling.html

Last edited by jpdivola; 07-11-2022 at 06:39 AM..

Old 07-11-2022, 08:36 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
who is clocking bill gates' daughter like that? So weird and random (and racist), get a life.

Old 07-11-2022, 10:01 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:

I'm not surprised at all if it happened in Palo Alto. THE only place I've been to where my entire family was racially profiled which was in a Macy's store at the Stanford Shopping Center. Wasn't the first time I was racially profiled but the first time that's happened when I was out with my Family. Mind you I come from a Middle class Black Family.

With that said, the times I've spent in Palo Alto wasn't exactly hostile or even covert racism besides that one incident but knowing the history behind East Palo Alto, Palo Alto always rubbed me the wrong way.

Btw, I'm also glad you added context to some of the resentment some Black Women especially darker skin Black Women have for Black Men dating non-Black Women. I'm not suggesting all Black Men who get into interracial relationships are like this but there's a significant amount of Black Men and Black Women who have a habit of tearing down BW/BM while proping up Non BW/BM.

Old 07-11-2022, 10:15 AM

994 posts, read 779,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
In terms of the bolded, I think it depends on where you are. There are some small towns that have visible to high black populations and in turn, it may not be as much of a surprise.
Yep, go to Sandusky, Lima, Elyria, Mansfield or any small to mid sized city in Ohio that has a sizable black population and it is so common you won't even get a second look and fit right in.

Some places like Fremont or Massillon that 50 years ago were like 10-15 percent black are now nearly as mixed race (black/white) as they are black alone.

You can find small places like that all over the industrial Midwest, Western Pa., upstate NY and into Appalachia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City