Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is more accepting of black/white couples.
Northeast 18 18.18%
Midwest 4 4.04%
South 40 40.40%
West 37 37.37%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2023, 10:48 AM

2,858 posts, read 2,172,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
That's what I thought too when I first moved down south, but after being here for 10 years, most black people stick with their own and same with white people. Compared to where I'm from, I just don't see nearly as many black/white relationships.
I agree. I saw almost no mixing in Jackson and the towns in the Mississippi Delta. Obviously things are different in Atlanta and Savannah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2023, 10:52 AM

9,891 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
I agree. I saw almost no mixing in Jackson and the towns in the Mississippi Delta. Obviously things are different in Atlanta and Savannah.
When I went to Mississippi not too long ago, I noticed the same.

That said, the South or West still are the answer.

Old 03-30-2023, 11:03 AM

372 posts, read 203,809 times
https://www.census.gov/content/dam/C...mo/2013-19.pdf

I haven't looked through this entire thread, so my apologies if this has already been posted. There really isn't any way to measure interracial couples dating. There just isn't. What you see with your eyes, or who you know, is not an accurate representation. So, this is what I found from a reliable source...the US Census Bureau, as to states with Black/White Interracial marriages. There may be something more current, but I doubt there would be a whole lot of difference in the last ten years. I think this map changes a lot of people's "opinions" to "guesses." Guesses, maybe based on a bias or an assumption. Interesting. People can say and/or think what they want, but here is proof, at least of marriages. As I said when I started, you can't measure couples dating...purely speculation. The pertinent map is on page 11...you can enlarge it to see it better.

Old 03-30-2023, 11:09 AM

12,839 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
When I went to Mississippi not too long ago, I noticed the same.

That said, the South or West still are the answer.
A white friend of mine was dating an AA woman. They went on a road trip through the south and he said the rural areas were very tense.

Old 03-30-2023, 01:03 PM

1,376 posts, read 927,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
Is there stats on this? I live in the Deep South and see way more interracial relationships outside the south. Minneapolis where I'm from has way more interracial relationships than anywhere I seen in the south.
I'm in Atlanta and see so many Black-White couples, especially Black Men - White Women, and a growing number of White Men - Black Women.

Old 03-30-2023, 01:39 PM

372 posts, read 203,809 times
According to the link I posted, there appears to be very little marriage between Blacks and Whites in the West, which is second in the poll. Facts are better than what we might see, or presume.

Old 03-30-2023, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
A white friend of mine was dating an AA woman. They went on a road trip through the south and he said the rural areas were very tense.
I’m sure that in rural New England or upstate New York, it would be tense as well.

Old 03-30-2023, 02:05 PM

638 posts, read 349,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicala View Post
According to the link I posted, there appears to be very little marriage between Blacks and Whites in the West, which is second in the poll. Facts are better than what we might see, or presume.
That is simply because fewer blacks live in the west. Also keep in mind African Americans get married at much lower rates than any other racial/ethnic group. That data doesn’t capture actual pairing.

About one in five newlyweds (22 percent) in Western states married someone of a different race or ethnicity between 2008 and 2010. This is much higher than anywhere else, including the South (14 percent), the Northeast (13 percent) and the Midwest (11 percent)

Old 03-30-2023, 02:05 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I’m sure that in rural New England or upstate New York, it would be tense as well.
Speaking for Upstate NY, not necessarily. It is not uncommon to see in some small towns and cities in that part of the state. In fact, there are some places were it may be quite common. Especially if it is a small town/city with a long time black population(i.e.-some small towns in Wayne, Orleans; small cities like Auburn and Elmira, etc.).

Old 03-30-2023, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Speaking for Upstate NY, not necessarily. It is not uncommon to see in some small towns and cities in that part of the state. In fact, there are some places were it may be quite common. Especially if it is a small town/city with a long time black population(i.e.-some small towns in Wayne, Orleans; small cities like Auburn and Elmira, etc.).
Lots of small towns in the south where interracial relationships are common. Louisiana and Mississippi are two completely different experiences.

As a matter of a fact, central Louisiana has a long history of interracial relationships.

I’d say Mississippi is more of an exception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City