Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is more accepting of black/white couples.
Northeast 18 18.18%
Midwest 4 4.04%
South 40 40.40%
West 37 37.37%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2023, 02:36 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I’m sure that in rural New England or upstate New York, it would be tense as well.
rural New England varies quite a bit in term of its cultural progressiveness and acceptance of such things.

Rural VT and MA (very blue) are one thing, Rural CT and RI (slightly red 'Swamp Yankees') are another. Rural ME and NH are another (most red).

Interracial marriage and black-white marriage isn't uncommon in Western MA. Not enough black people outside of Springfield or a neighborhood or two of Pittsfield for there to be options otherwise.

When there are options though people in MA and RI tend to date within White-Asian and Black-Latino lines. Except for some of the lower middle-class suburbs north or south of Boston- still its not very common.

Interracial black-white marriage is probably low in CT too. Not as sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2023, 02:38 PM

3,527 posts, read 2,320,333 times
South followed by the North East with the West Coast being a very distant third.

I say this as a mixed guy who's dated white women, is from the East Coast and lives in SD now.

Old 03-30-2023, 02:43 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
South followed by the North East with the West Coast being a very distant third.

I say this as a mixed guy who's dated white women, is from the East Coast and lives in SD now.
Why do you consider the west coast to be so low?

Old 03-30-2023, 03:14 PM

2,857 posts, read 2,168,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicala View Post
According to the link I posted, there appears to be very little marriage between Blacks and Whites in the West, which is second in the poll. Facts are better than what we might see, or presume.
you can't just look at raw numbers. The West has fewer AA overall. The numbers are for ALL married couples. I couldn't find any recent number that breaks down by race but I imagine they'll tell a different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
A white friend of mine was dating an AA woman. They went on a road trip through the south and he said the rural areas were very tense.
The South is not a monolith so it likely varies by region. Most of Florida, Texas and Louisiana are likely less tense than MS and AL for example. Georgia is weird as people like to say everyone gets along but I keep seeing Confederate flags all over.

Old 03-30-2023, 04:12 PM

372 posts, read 203,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
you can't just look at raw numbers. The West has fewer AA overall. The numbers are for ALL married couples. I couldn't find any recent number that breaks down by race but I imagine they'll tell a different story.

The South is not a monolith so it likely varies by region. Most of Florida, Texas and Louisiana are likely less tense than MS and AL for example. Georgia is weird as people like to say everyone gets along but I keep seeing Confederate flags all over.
https://wisevoter.com/state-rankings...tion-by-state/

This is a piece of the puzzle. Doesn't give percentages, but easy enough to figure out. I'm surprised there is such a large Hispanic population in California.

Old 03-30-2023, 04:17 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post

Actually, the deepest of Louisiana is absolutely on par with those other states. Again, I think it's more rural/urban divide,, but the south can be magnified. BTW, deep east Texas can be tough too,.

Old 03-30-2023, 04:31 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,579,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Actually, the deepest of Louisiana is absolutely on par with those other states. Again, I think it's more rural/urban divide,, but the south can be magnified. BTW, deep east Texas can be tough too,.
Many parts of Louisiana are not only accepting of interracial couple, but also known for them. Opelousas, Crowley, Eunice to name a few. not all towns are accepting, but some of the most common towns for interracial relationships are in rural Louisiana.

Old 03-30-2023, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Why do you consider the west coast to be so low?
The low AA demographic (both by raw numbers and percentages) means interactions are far and few relative to the South & East Coast.

SD for example is 6% AA (~84k people) over a geographic area the size of NYC.

I'm 30, mixed (AA, Puerto Rican & Greek) and when it comes to white women (generalizing hear) there's a novelty when it comes to dating AA men, especially the SoCal types of women people idolize. The most down to earth girls I deal with tend to be either transplants from the South or Northeast where there's an inherent normalcy with White/AA interactions due to the huge populations there.

Last edited by Joakim3; 03-30-2023 at 05:42 PM..

Old 03-30-2023, 05:10 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times
The Deep South would be worst, I would think. Despite the poll, I still think the South would be the worst region.

Old 03-30-2023, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
The Deep South would be worst, I would think. Despite the poll, I still think the South would be the worst region.
Yes and no. It's definitely stigmatized by older generations, but it's absolutely more the "norm" than it is in the big East Coast cities (and for sure their burbs).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City