Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York or Chicago?
New York 27 29.67%
Chicago 64 70.33%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2022, 08:17 AM

71 posts, read 45,419 times

Advertisements

Why does Chicago win for summers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2022, 08:29 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsmiths View Post
Direct beach access

Less humidity

More walkable clean areas that fit a better vibe in the summer

Old 02-27-2022, 05:49 PM

1,260 posts, read 944,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Lived in both cities.

Chicago wins this one, not by a slight margin.

But New York City wins Spring, not by a slight margin either. New York has amazing, long, vibrant springs! Chicago springs suck, by a long shot.

Fall = tie.

Winter= they both suck!
I disagree:

Summer - Chicago

Spring - Tie

Fall - NYC

Winter NYC

I feel NYC has better winters and falls than Chicago.

Old 02-27-2022, 06:16 PM

1,393 posts, read 859,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post
I disagree:

Summer - Chicago

Spring - Tie

Fall - NYC

Winter NYC

I feel NYC has better winters and falls than Chicago.
Also nothing quite like nyc around the holidays if that’s something you enjoy

Old 02-27-2022, 06:28 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,402,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsmiths View Post
Tons of beaches, tons of festivals, tons of concerts, beautiful nature/parks/green spaces, and just so much vibrancy at street level that you don't see at other times of the year.

All of that and its easier to get around than NYC

Old 02-27-2022, 06:42 PM

1,393 posts, read 859,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Tons of beaches, tons of festivals, tons of concerts, beautiful nature/parks/green spaces, and just so much vibrancy at street level that you don't see at other times of the year.

All of that and its easier to get around than NYC
You can give chicago more accessible beaches and I’m fine with chicago taking this poll. But Chicago does not win on vibrancy regardless of the season

I think the thing with ny vs chicago relatively speaking is many new Yorkers leave the city on hot weekends (hamptons, Jersey shore etc) whereas in chicago people come into the city on hot weekends

Old 03-10-2022, 07:17 AM

94 posts, read 61,587 times
Gotta take Chicago here. New York gets real stinky in the summer and the beaches are an hour away.

Old 03-10-2022, 08:28 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,904 times
NYC in my limited experience was more humid and sticky, and yes, stinky in the summer.

This poll isn't about what city is better or more vibrant, etc. This is about summer in particular.

If Chicago's summers were longer, the population would explode. There is absolutely nothing like summer here. Let me explain why.

The winters here are rough, and spring is mostly a waiting period for summer that isn't celebrated on its own, until maybe May. So when "summer" hits (let's just say it's Memorial Day weekend), there is literally a climax from the populace that permeates the entire area.

As a result, there is a plethora of events, activities, etc. (some previously mentioned) that are revered and enjoyed immensely by all of us. And it's magical.

Add to that...having beaches RIGHT at your doorstep, and an incredible urban landscape, and there is just nothing like it anywhere else in the US.

There is no comparison, really.

Old 03-10-2022, 11:08 AM

663 posts, read 305,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
NYC in my limited experience was more humid and sticky, and yes, stinky in the summer.

This poll isn't about what city is better or more vibrant, etc. This is about summer in particular.

If Chicago's summers were longer, the population would explode. There is absolutely nothing like summer here. Let me explain why.

The winters here are rough, and spring is mostly a waiting period for summer that isn't celebrated on its own, until maybe May. So when "summer" hits (let's just say it's Memorial Day weekend), there is literally a climax from the populace that permeates the entire area.

As a result, there is a plethora of events, activities, etc. (some previously mentioned) that are revered and enjoyed immensely by all of us. And it's magical.

Add to that...having beaches RIGHT at your doorstep, and an incredible urban landscape, and there is just nothing like it anywhere else in the US.

There is no comparison, really.
Yes, still one big event before the Memorial Day kick-off in Chicago is....

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UV9hxIvIki0

Someone created a thread in the NYC forum on a -"Most Irish Cities Ranking" list out.

Boston won, then Chicago, followed by NYC.

Chicago ranked #1 in Irish events and #2 in Irish cuisine.

Old 03-10-2022, 11:22 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Well, I live in NYC, so I'd prefer to spend a summer in Chicago for a change. I think the lakeside beaches are great. I also think it'd be fun to visit the other nearby cities whether it's Milwaukee and its waterfront or those going south and east in Indiana and Michigan. I've always wanted to go to the dunes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City