Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more beautiful?
The Carolinas: North Carolina + South Carolina 59 50.86%
The Virginias: Virginia + West Virginia 57 49.14%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 07:55 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,663,312 times

Advertisements

Nature: Probably overall, the Carolinas have more variety here. Of course, you have the mountains, the highest ones overall in the Eastern US:
Mount Mitchell
But you also have stuff like this in the southern part of SC: Cypress Gardens
And, while Virginia has coastline, the Carolinas objectively, have more of it, and the Outer Banks are more celebrated than any of Virginia's coastline: Jockey's Ridge, Outer Banks

Mountains: For this, I'll go with the Virginias-they may not have the height, overall of those found in NC... but they are just so ubiquitous and widespread, particularly in Western VA and WV.
New River Gorge NP

Even the relatively not as mountainous parts of urban places are kind of "framed" by them:
Charleston City Skyline

Height aside, I don't think views like this necessarily take a back seat to anything in the Carolinas. So again, Virginias, on quantity:
McAfee Knob

Beaches: For the same reason that Virginias took the mountains category, I'll again go with the Carolinas, as there is just far more coastline, and variation present:
Inn at Rodanthe

Hunting Island

Hilton Head

Small Towns: Hmm... this one's interesting. I'm acutely familiar with some of the charming towns in the NC mountains, such as Highlands and Franklin. I'm also aware of some nice waterside towns, such as Beaufort and New Bern. That being said, I think the answer is probably the Virginias, overall:

Harpers Ferry

Staunton

Tangier Island

Williamsburg

Urban Neighborhoods: This one is probably the most decisive point of any of these, and it goes to the Virginias. The Carolinas aren't necessarily devoid or have terrible urbanism, but the Virginias include numerous cities that are part of the DC Urban Core/Metro, which is far more urbane than anything in the Carolinas, or perhaps anywhere in the American South, for that matter. The Carolinas does have Charleston, but I'd say Richmond could potentially match it here:

Richmond

Charlottesville

Alexandria

Arlington

Pentagon City Metro Station

So, yeah. I feel like if you factored NoVA/DC Metro Area out of the equation though, this question might become at least somewhat more interesting, especially given the nice usage of TOD in Charlotte, the Downtowns of Asheville and Durham, and the fact that while VA is definitely strong, WV perhaps isn't quite as much or as many examples in this regard.

Overall 3-2 Virginias over Carolinas-but there are definite positives to both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2022, 01:26 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canalcity63 View Post
Although the Virginias have a smaller land area I would argue that the land area of the Virginias is still provide a more balanced and diverse geography. Most of the Carolina's are coastal plain and piedmont whereas the Virginias have a more equal balance of Coastal plain, Piedmont, and Mountains.
The coastal plain is to the Carolinas what the Appalachians are to the Virginias in terms of being similarly extensive across the pair of states, roughly speaking.

Quote:
Not to mention the Chesapeake bay provides Virginia with a more geographically diverse coastal region than the Carolinas.
But does Virginia have an island just off its coast inhabited by a few thousand monkeys? Didn't think so.

Old 02-23-2022, 05:46 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,275,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The coastal plain is to the Carolinas what the Appalachians are to the Virginias in terms of being similarly extensive across the pair of states, roughly speaking.

But does Virginia have an island just off its coast inhabited by a few thousand monkeys? Didn't think so.
The differences are negligible....6 or 1/2 a dozen.

Old 02-23-2022, 05:53 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,275,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
There is very little that is urban about Charlotte or Raleigh.
I don’t understand your insistence of dying on this hill.
You cannot have urban without walkability. Period. Lifestyle centers are not urban, contiguous neighborhoods are. Houses with driveways aren’t urban. Cul-de-sacs aren’t urban either.
Being scared to death to walk around an "urban" neighborhood isn't walkable. Charlotte and Raleigh aren't NE urban but they're sunbelt urban and many people obviously prefer that kind of urbanity...you're stuck in a 1952 time warp of "urban", please understand the train has literally left that station several decades ago - meaning keep repeating that junk, maybe someone will believe it.

Old 02-23-2022, 06:59 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,682,365 times
Scared to death to walk around lol

Old 03-10-2022, 12:08 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,814,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Nature: Probably overall, the Carolinas have more variety here. Of course, you have the mountains, the highest ones overall in the Eastern US:
Mount Mitchell
But you also have stuff like this in the southern part of SC: Cypress Gardens
And, while Virginia has coastline, the Carolinas objectively, have more of it, and the Outer Banks are more celebrated than any of Virginia's coastline: Jockey's Ridge, Outer Banks

Mountains: For this, I'll go with the Virginias-they may not have the height, overall of those found in NC... but they are just so ubiquitous and widespread, particularly in Western VA and WV.
New River Gorge NP

Even the relatively not as mountainous parts of urban places are kind of "framed" by them:
Charleston City Skyline

Height aside, I don't think views like this necessarily take a back seat to anything in the Carolinas. So again, Virginias, on quantity:
McAfee Knob

Beaches: For the same reason that Virginias took the mountains category, I'll again go with the Carolinas, as there is just far more coastline, and variation present:
Inn at Rodanthe

Hunting Island

Hilton Head

Small Towns: Hmm... this one's interesting. I'm acutely familiar with some of the charming towns in the NC mountains, such as Highlands and Franklin. I'm also aware of some nice waterside towns, such as Beaufort and New Bern. That being said, I think the answer is probably the Virginias, overall:

Harpers Ferry

Staunton

Tangier Island

Williamsburg

Urban Neighborhoods: This one is probably the most decisive point of any of these, and it goes to the Virginias. The Carolinas aren't necessarily devoid or have terrible urbanism, but the Virginias include numerous cities that are part of the DC Urban Core/Metro, which is far more urbane than anything in the Carolinas, or perhaps anywhere in the American South, for that matter. The Carolinas does have Charleston, but I'd say Richmond could potentially match it here:

Richmond

Charlottesville

Alexandria

Arlington

Pentagon City Metro Station

So, yeah. I feel like if you factored NoVA/DC Metro Area out of the equation though, this question might become at least somewhat more interesting, especially given the nice usage of TOD in Charlotte, the Downtowns of Asheville and Durham, and the fact that while VA is definitely strong, WV perhaps isn't quite as much or as many examples in this regard.

Overall 3-2 Virginias over Carolinas-but there are definite positives to both.
Great post! I will say that I've found both Virginias/Carolinas to have pretty underwhelming beaches. I usually either drive north to New Jersey or south to Florida. One thing that both are definitely lacking is the "carnival/resort/boardwalk" places like Wildwood, Cape May, Ocean City, or the "tropical vibes" of Siesta Key or Florida Keys. Outer Banks's beaches are rarely swimmable, Virginia Beach feels very run-down and Myrtle Beach has a very "manufactured/corporate" vibe that I dislike. Then we have places like Cape Charles or Colonial Beach that just feel sad, though I appreciate the effort (temporary palm trees).

I wish both could focus on their beachfronts.

Old 03-10-2022, 02:31 PM

1,124 posts, read 924,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Great post! I will say that I've found both Virginias/Carolinas to have pretty underwhelming beaches. I usually either drive north to New Jersey or south to Florida. One thing that both are definitely lacking is the "carnival/resort/boardwalk" places like Wildwood, Cape May, Ocean City, or the "tropical vibes" of Siesta Key or Florida Keys. Outer Banks's beaches are rarely swimmable, Virginia Beach feels very run-down and Myrtle Beach has a very "manufactured/corporate" vibe that I dislike. Then we have places like Cape Charles or Colonial Beach that just feel sad, though I appreciate the effort (temporary palm trees).

Coligny is nice.

Old 03-10-2022, 05:15 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post

Myrtle Beach would definitely qualify as a "carnival/resort/boardwalk" place.

Otherwise, while beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder, I don't think SC's beaches are underwhelming at all. If anything, outside of the popular ones, they are probably underrated; Edisto Beach (and Botany Bay/Boneyard Beach on Edisto Island), Daufuskie Island, and Hunting Island are three prime examples that come to mind.

Old 03-10-2022, 05:21 PM

2,361 posts, read 1,057,194 times
A tough one but Carolinas for the win.

Farther south = more variety ....also bigger mountains in NC

Myrtle Beach vs Virginia Beach

Charleston, SC

Hilton Head, SC

Asheville, NC

Old 03-10-2022, 06:30 PM

109 posts, read 157,629 times
I'll give the Carolinas beaches, by far VB isn't the best beach or close.

Mountain: Virginia's two location are unmatched and those are Natural Bridge in VA, as well as Luray Cavern.

The Virginias have better rivers by far and you can take your pick but VA has great rivers. You can raft in Downtown Richmond like yeah that's crazy.

Weather is more beautiful in Virginia as well overall none of NC outside the mountains receive good snow, The Virginias experience all of the Carolinas weather with better snowstorms and less damaging tropical systems.

Overall coastal beauty I'm giving to the Virginias as well, NC has great rural beaches and SC has great tourist beaches both coast look identical for hundreds of miles. VA also has rural beaches in southern VA Beach as well as the Eastern Shore, and a tourist beach (VB). But on the coastal Virginias you can see a rocket launch at Wallops Island, drive across 1 of the longest bridge's in the world. HR also offer a something niether Carolinas have and that's coastal urbanization, there are beautiful industrial structures all around Hampton Roads. Carolina's lack that.

The Carolinas have better looking Skylines but on a street level Virginias cities are more urban and city like in a early American feel. Carolina's cities are growing faster but I think we all can agree Richmond is a wildcard for VA and a city that has potential to be something different. I think the Virginias also offer better urban neighborhoods too, or urban experience overall.

Architecture beauty of the Virginias outpace the Carolinas example of great architecture throughout the Virginias include: Olde Towne Portsmouth, Colonial Williamsburg, New Rivers Bridge, Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel, Olde Towne Alexandria, The Fan Richmond, Ghent Norfolk, Monticello, The Pentagon, Virginia has alot of architecture that the Carolinas can't match, and there are few examples of architecture NC/SC has that Virginias don't.

Overall I think in the Virginias you can pretty much match anything the Carolinas will offer. But the Virginias offer quite a bit the the Carolinas can't especially with a mix of old and new and nature too so I give it to the home team Virginias.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City