Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2022, 03:34 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I"d be curious to know when the last time the posters ranking SF at or near the top have been to downtown San Francisco. Especially if "vibrancy and activity" is the criteria boosting it to the top.
I've been there many times and quite familiar. The last time in October 21. Despite the increase homelessness it's still has what it takes. Tons of shopping and dining. Tons of cultural amenities. Fantastic public transportation. . It's dense and walkable. I always stay downtown and never rent a car. Never felt unsafe. I still rank it in the top 3 in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2022, 04:18 PM

11,781 posts, read 7,992,594 times
How is Downtown SF right now and the homeless situation? I'm supposed to be traveling there in about a week.

Old 02-17-2022, 04:42 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
How is Downtown SF right now and the homeless situation? I'm supposed to be traveling there in about a week.
Well, the homeless are concentrated in the Tenderloin/ Civic Center area. There is a little spillover into Union Square but not much, you dont see many in the Financial District or in SOMA around the new highrises or on the waterfront either. You dont see that many in Chinatown or North Beach either.

This is my observation as I sit in my car on First St trying to get on the Bay Bridge.

People Ive hosted over the past year are often surprised at how normal it is compared to what they were expecting based on what they saw on the news. Go figure.

Here is a video recorded last saturday afternoon by some guy who walked from the Embarcadero all the way to Union Square through the financial district, when crowds are sparce, but notice the relative lack of homeless...

Last edited by 18Montclair; 02-17-2022 at 04:51 PM..

Old 02-17-2022, 05:00 PM

Here's a night vid from Union Square uploaded a month ago...I think she's speaking Laotian?

Anyhow, I still don't of anywhere on the west coast that gives off this kind of downtown vibe?

Of course, we could just as easily find vids of homeless in the Tenderloin but the point is contrary to what has been the prevailing media narrative, SF is really a lot more normal than people think.

Old 02-17-2022, 05:54 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,718,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Also, I just walked back into my office on Mission Street about half-a-block from Salesforce Tower and there are a lot of people out enjoying the sun. It's not as vibrant as say 2019, but then nowhere really is.
I've been in that area and it still feels very empty compared to how it used to be. Neighborhood watering holes like Steff's, Natoma Cabana, and 83 Proof are still much emptier after work.

Old 02-17-2022, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
I've been in that area and it still feels very empty compared to how it used to be. Neighborhood watering holes like Steff's, Natoma Cabana, and 83 Proof are still much emptier after work.
So true, it's not like before yet...

Old 02-17-2022, 06:54 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, downtown SF runs away with shopping and food options imo, not to mention visual appeal as far as variety in architectural styles and building density(criteria I didnt even touch on) and I also give SF the nod for attractions, as well as public transit convenience.

Also, I just walked back into my office on Mission Street about half-a-block from Salesforce Tower and there are a lot of people out enjoying the sun. It's not as vibrant as say 2019, but then nowhere really is.

Ive been to the downtowns of LA and Seattle fairly recently and they both strike me as being similar to SF, vibrant but not like before.

At least not yet.
Outside of California and other Covid-obsessed areas, everywhere is just as vibrant (and some places - like TX, FL and suburban CT) are way more vibrant than in 2019.

Old 02-18-2022, 01:03 AM

307 posts, read 241,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I"d be curious to know when the last time the posters ranking SF at or near the top have been to downtown San Francisco. Especially if "vibrancy and activity" is the criteria boosting it to the top.
SF downtown on the skyline aesthetic level is stunning, jaw dropping, and second to none. It looks like it could be a mini Manhattan on west coast but yet you never hear of anyone making trips up to Bay just to take in, enjoy, or party in downtown SF at all. Just think if it was an actual mini Manhattan -it would be one of the crown jewels of California. Matter of fact people that live in LA would even take trips up there to take in a smaller scaled slice of NY. Its unfathomable that the Bay Area nightlife scene is minuscule at best

Old 02-18-2022, 09:28 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
If the West Coast gets up early and goes to bed early, wouldn't you adjust the timing of "nightlife" the same way?

Old 02-18-2022, 09:42 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times
I suppose happy hours should be more happening, except a lot of people get stuck on freeways at 5-7PM..

I used to roll my eyes when I lived in boring OC….the happening place in Newport Beach was a chain Mexican restaurant that had a line to get in by 7PM on a Friday night. That was until some wannabe promoters rented out a place called John Dominis and hosted parties that began a little later. Ultimately, I ended up driving to LA for better nightlife.

Then there’s the women factor; SF had the least attractive, OC the snootiest, LA and SD were better/best. Portland and Seattle in the middle with some gems. SF did have some good clubs back in the day in South of Market; I dreaded going out in Marin as there were CHP’s who would pull me over for no reason at all. The best happy hour was my ferry ride back home until they went to higher speed ferries that reduced my drinking time from 30 to 20 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
If the West Coast gets up early and goes to bed early, wouldn't you adjust the timing of "nightlife" the same way?

Last edited by elchevere; 02-18-2022 at 10:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City