Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2022, 02:33 PM

337 posts, read 298,549 times

Advertisements

We are a family of South Asian descent. My wife is from Guyana but her ancestors came from India.
My sons are 10 and 12.
We live in MN.
I own a Cloud Computing consulting company(Small business)
wife does clinical research. Her job is remote.

We were looking for warm places with diversity, strong economy, jobs, access to a good airport(vacation travel), and good public schools.
We settled on Atlanta and Dallas.
I have visited both the places in the past but at that time it was a work trip so I never considered them as cities I would move to with my family.

Buying a single-family existing home in both North Atlanta and North Dallas is a challenge at this time.
Every home gets many offers, buyers have to waive contingency, appraisal, and pay significantly over the list price.

Dallas has more tech jobs. But housing seems more expensive. Lot sizes are smaller. It has a longer pool season. Good highways. I have another friend who is trying to buy a home in North Dallas. He just offered $100K more for a $750K home that was 20 years old and he lost to another bidder. My current projects are remote but I do want the possibility to have an in-person job. We have been looking in Plano, Allen, and Frisco. My concern is that my future job can be located in another city and I may be stuck with the terrible commute. There is no state income tax in Dallas but property tax in the DFW area is around 2.2%

Atlanta has plenty of tech jobs but not as many as Dallas. We are looking at Cumming, Alpharetta, Milton, Johns Creek, and Suwanee. Most existing homes are getting multiple offers but competition does not seem as fierce as in Dallas. Lot sizes of homes are much bigger. In the city of Milton, it is not uncommon to find homes with 1 Acre lots. Atlanta seems greener. Atlanta is closer to the ocean and mountains. In Atlanta, a lot of tech jobs are concentrated in Alpharetta. So as long as we live relatively close to Alpharetta there is less risk of commute. Atlanta does have state income tax but lower property taxes(1%).

While access to South Asian grocery stores, cultural events is important we don't need to live in a place where 80% of residents are Indians.

Both North Atlanta and North Dallas offer good public schools.

Financially Dallas will be a little better for us due to the lack of state income tax. We are actively looking for homes in both cities.

My wife and kids don't have a preference. I am leaning towards Atlanta due to the increased possibility of getting a bigger lot size and mature trees. If I spend between 900k to $1.2 million in both cities I am far more likely to have a bigger lot size for a similar-sized and newer home in Atlanta.

It is a big decision for us to move and I was wondering if my analysis is correct?
What else should we consider before making the move?

Ps: Since it has been a challenge to find a home we like my wife has been looking at the Houston suburbs. But I will not muddy the waters by including Houston as we settled on Atlanta/Dallas initially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2022, 02:40 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,988,805 times
Based on demographic trends, the answer would be "both". I don't think there is a clear enough distance between QOL or any other metric here to say one or the other is "better".

Old 03-09-2022, 05:29 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Dallas has a huge Indian population and most of the locals seem welcome to it, not all, most. Go to the Dallas forum and you'll see what I mean.

Old 03-09-2022, 07:31 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,297,332 times
You can't go wrong with either. The Dallas area does have the largest South Asian population in the South and one of the largest in the country. Lots of cultural amenities come with a population that large. Northwest Dallas County (Las Colinas, Valley Ranch, Coppell, Farmers Branch, Cypress Waters) has a very large South Asian population as well and is very nice and convenient to many large companies. Have you looked there as well?

Old 03-11-2022, 11:08 AM

828 posts, read 647,527 times
Both are good.

Old 03-11-2022, 12:24 PM

10 posts, read 8,410 times
The areas you mentioned in North Dallas and North Atlanta are very similar with good schools, access to tech jobs, and very large Indian/South Asian communities, so you can't go wrong with either one. It is really a matter of whether you prefer better infrastructure (less traffic, easier access to get around, easily accessible airport in Dallas), or a better general area (access to beach/mountains, more lush/green, more easy getaways to places like the Smoky Mountains, Orlando, Nashville, Destin etc.).

One more thing to maybe consider is that Atlanta suburbs have lower property taxes. Even though Texas has no income tax, its very high property tax makes up for that. So there might not be as big of a difference between taxes living in Atlanta vs living in Dallas.

Old 03-16-2022, 02:11 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
The South Asian population in Atlanta is huge. The South Asian population in Dallas is even larger than Atlanta.

Youll be fine either place.

Old 03-16-2022, 07:15 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
You did all the research yourself..

Old 03-16-2022, 08:36 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,392,777 times
One minor thing I'll say in is that I think Atlanta has better tech jobs than Dallas. Dallas may have "more", but the quality of tech jobs in Dallas is middling: lots of IT at large non-tech focused corporations. Better than either on that front are Austin and Raleigh, but they have smaller South Asian populations and perhaps higher costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City