Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What area?
Cincinnati, OH 50 81.97%
Tulsa, OK 11 18.03%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2022, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,338 times

Advertisements

Moving from Jackson, MS because my work is being transferred and I can choose between Cincinnati and Tulsa, to be specific I'll be moving to either the KY side of Cincinnati or the eastern burbs of Tulsa. Which metro should I pick?

Weather: I hate when the sun doesn't come out in days and I also drive a Prius to save on gas so I would prefer less nasty weather as well (such as hail storms and tornados).

Traffic: Minimum traffic possible

Things to do: I enjoy going to the lake, walking downtown (side note: i need the downtown to be safe), and watching the local college football team at home or a sports bar (im a big fan of college ball)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2022, 11:15 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Make it Cincinatti. Cincinatti will have fewer hailstorms and tornadoes than Tulsa with a more charming downtown from being considerably older. Furthermore, the fact that Tulsa has to resort to offering $10,000 incentives to try to get people to move there if willing to do either a remote job or buy a home should raise more red flags in my opinion.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 03-14-2022 at 12:26 AM..

Old 03-14-2022, 06:50 AM

1,351 posts, read 897,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhsef View Post
Moving from Jackson, MS because my work is being transferred and I can choose between Cincinnati and Tulsa, to be specific I'll be moving to either the KY side of Cincinnati or the eastern burbs of Tulsa. Which metro should I pick?

Weather: I hate when the sun doesn't come out in days and I also drive a Prius to save on gas so I would prefer less nasty weather as well (such as hail storms and tornados).

Traffic: Minimum traffic possible

Things to do: I enjoy going to the lake, walking downtown (side note: i need the downtown to be safe), and watching the local college football team at home or a sports bar (im a big fan of college ball)
Cincy definitely has better "in town" college sports. UC is a much better program in both major sports than TU.

Old 03-14-2022, 08:49 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,009,364 times
I am biased (as I grew up in Ohio and spent a lot of time around Cincinnati) but would pick Cinci. However, as far as sunny days go I would think Tulsa would be a better option. That said I think Cinci is a great metro and has a lot to offer. You'll get more snow in Cinci but you'll still get ice and hail when in Tulsa so neither is exempt from inclement whether throughout the year. You'll save money on tolls though living near Cinci because I don't think there are any toll roads in that area compared to Tulsa which there are quite a few throughout the city.

Old 03-14-2022, 08:57 AM

2,395 posts, read 1,069,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Make it Cincinatti. Cincinatti will have fewer hailstorms and tornadoes than Tulsa with a more charming downtown from being considerably older. Furthermore, the fact that Tulsa has to resort to offering $10,000 incentives to try to get people to move there if willing to do either a remote job or buy a home should raise more red flags in my opinion.
You're right ...Cincinnati has better climate. It's not in Tornado Alley,
and it is significantly cooler in summer ...not cool...but cooler then Tulsa.

Better situated...in Ohio Valley...I-75 ...straight shot down to Florida for winter break.
Closer to a lot of places....DC...Nashville...Asheville...and many other great locations.

Old 03-29-2022, 03:21 PM

16 posts, read 11,404 times
Cincy is in another weight class compared to Tulsa... I don't think they have a whole lot in common. I will say, the weather in Tulsa really isn't that bad. There are very few tornados compared to other places in Oklahoma.

One thing you mention is enjoying lake life. Tulsa is surrounded by lakes, and is very green country. Grand Lake is a big time boating spot in the region. Downtown is walkable, but probably much smaller than Cincy. There's a lot of construction and improvements going on though.

Tulsa traffic is incredibly light compared to most cities. One of my favorite parts of living here.

College sports, Cincy has a clear edge. TU doesn't have very strong local support, most people are fans of Oklahoma State or OU.

Old 04-02-2022, 05:13 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,760,657 times
Weather: Tulsa would likely be a bit sunnier but also more dramatic and harder to deal with.

Traffic: Cincinnati has terrible traffic being at a major crossroads in a much more crowded part of the country.
Tulsa's traffic seems nonexistent in comparison.

Things to do: Cincinnati is bigger and has more stuff, but Tulsa sounds like it would work well enough for you.

My personal preference would be Tulsa because I really don't care for the region Cincy is in even though it's not a terrible place.

Old 04-02-2022, 07:10 PM

824 posts, read 713,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etoile du Nord View Post
i would probably pick Cincinnati as I am much more familiar with it. I have never been to Tulsa and can only go off its reputation as a "sunbelt" city.

That being said, Cincinatti has been a shrinking city and has lost considerable population. I hope that is changing. Tulsa may be a city of the future that is only going to grow along with OKC and other cities in the region.
Cincinnati did actually grow in 2020.

Old 04-06-2022, 11:29 AM

17,803 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whaletown View Post
Cincy is in another weight class compared to Tulsa... I don't think they have a whole lot in common. I will say, the weather in Tulsa really isn't that bad. There are very few tornados compared to other places in Oklahoma.
Weather wise Tulsa winters are going to be significantly milder than Cinci with a lot more sun and a lot less snow. Summers will be worse but Tulsa people do have access to the lakes as you mentioned and water in the summer is a pretty big part of the culture there. Mid 90s to 100 degrees isn't so bad at the lake.

Old 04-06-2022, 12:13 PM

26,425 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Weather wise Tulsa winters are going to be significantly milder than Cinci with a lot more sun and a lot less snow. Summers will be worse but Tulsa people do have access to the lakes as you mentioned and water in the summer is a pretty big part of the culture there. Mid 90s to 100 degrees isn't so bad at the lake.
They are reservoirs, not lakes in Oklahoma, but I prefer to head to the Northwoods lakes in the summer and enjoy the trails more than actually being on the lakes there. Average high temperatures are in the 70's there in July with lows in the 40's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City