Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the better hip-hop scene/culture?
Boston 45 51.72%
Dallas 42 48.28%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2022, 02:56 PM

21,806 posts, read 12,987,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I'm literally responding to yall post. Nothing more nothing less. Boston must be really boring if ya'll think a city data poll is the end all be all. Regardless UE will agree to disagree cause I don't agree with any of your goal posting and this thread has run it's course for me.

I'm fake laughing? Dude you were the cat that had to calm yourself down on a message board talking about some

And I'm tight. You're a bigger cornball than I thought buddy. Just like that Local black culture thread where you we're getting clowned left and right. This back and forth has run it's course with me. Go calm yourself down some more Bean Brah.
So because I said I was done with you I'm a cornball. uh huh. I guess that makes sense to someone, somewhere.

I didn’t say I needed to calm myself down If I was smart I would’ve followed my own advice because- it’s you just yelling into the wind acting highkey crazy. We ended this thread for you a while ago and i guess youre just catching on? And stop saying 'cat'. Mad old.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 03-28-2022 at 03:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2022, 05:05 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,602,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

And let's shout out Katiria Colon for Expozed TV, Ms. Hot Sauce for Spark FM, Notorious VOG for B87, Conor Holway for Golden Deer podcast, Its Lit Boston podcast, Dorchester Art Project, Harvard Hip Hop Archive and Research Institute, CWTFB Radio, The Museum TV, Vanyaland (covers Boston and Providence), and DJ Ron G and Deeta Weeta ovver at Urban Heat 98.1.

These are all people and outlets who push the hip-hop scene forward in the city.
yoo forgot miixtapechiick.

Old 03-28-2022, 05:26 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,602,584 times
i've been out of hip-hop for some time. what are the top 5 songs from each city in the last 5 years ?

Old 03-28-2022, 05:44 PM

For Boston I’d have to say:

No More Parties by Coi Leray
Big Purr by Coi Leray ft. Pooh Sheisty
I Love by Joyner Lucas
Whole lotta Money by BIA ft. Nicki Minaj ,
Lucky You Joyner Lucas ft Eminem

Excluding Coi Leray:
I’m Not Racist by Joyner Lucas
East by Caye ft. Wiz khalifa

Runner ups would be:
Best on Earth BIA ft. Russ
Perfect Cousin Stizz ft. City Girls
Fugazi by D TheFlyest ft. Lil Baby
Your Heart by Joyner Lucas ft: J. Cole
Sufi Woman by Jidenna
Besito by BIA. G Herbo
YouTube Rapper Token ft. JID

Old 03-29-2022, 08:39 PM

141 posts, read 92,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

Personally, some of my favorite scenes are the Bay NOLA Memphis.
Is there still much stuff coming out of the Bay these days? I know from 80s - 2000s that scene was lit but it feels like I haven't heard much lately from that area.

Old 03-29-2022, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGuterson View Post
Is there still much stuff coming out of the Bay these days? I know from 80s - 2000s that scene was lit but it feels like I haven't heard much lately from that area.
Naw I don’t think so they were way more active in early and mid 2010s.

Thizzler has good coverage: https://www.thizzler.com/

Larry June is a major rising star but his last album was supposed to really make a splash but it kind of was a dude. He’s a San Francisco native. He’s one of my favorite rappers. I discovered him on Cousin Stizz’s MONDA album he has a song called Down Like That w/June.

Down like that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK3k3xaSPbY
I recommend

Drinks with Tracy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po9axjadIHk

And also Feeling Good Today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDhTzgompnU

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 03-29-2022 at 09:28 PM..

Old 03-29-2022, 09:22 PM

11,913 posts, read 8,146,142 times
To be fair, just entering this topic fresh and not knowing very much about Boston, I'm alittle surprised Boston is beating Dallas here. I know Dallas is not known for Hiphop, but I've always imagined Boston as the east coast version of Seattle.

Old 03-29-2022, 09:33 PM

10,033 posts, read 6,737,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
To be fair, just entering this topic fresh and not knowing very much about Boston, I'm alittle surprised Boston is beating Dallas here. I know Dallas is not known for Hiphop, but I've always imagined Boston as the east coast version of Seattle.
I’m not surprised because

1. This is city data and Boston is popular here

2. Regardless of who the winner is, it’s not a big difference either way.

Old 03-29-2022, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
People say this but don't really understand fundamentally Boston is much more urban much blacker (3-4x more) and much closer to NYC. So in reality-naw. Boston has been producing rap records since the late 1970s. More Boston artists on billboard charts past and present.

In general, there's a lot more of the aggressive of a gritty and in-your-face attitude, and general inner-city culture that is commiserate with rap in Boston than in Seattle. In Boston rap it's pretty standard to end the song just cussing at people and being vulgar just because. Seattle in general is both much less black and much more integrated and more passive-aggressive with a more suburban slant to its "inner city" culture as far as I can tell. Boston is not Philadelphia but it's not Seattle either. Falls somewhere in the middle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrKHwOspQew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3kSifCXVUw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUPOE22DQaE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg0Pv6cIdcc

But the culture is pervasive enough that we have many branches including goofy ones,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_zpwxzNCjU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geQsSNWK79o

**This is an 8zipp appreciation post**

Old 03-29-2022, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I’m not surprised because

1. This is city data and Boston is popular here

2. Regardless of who the winner is, it’s not a big difference either way.
1. Nah cuz people's base assumption would be to assume Dallas and those with whom Boston is 'popular' with arent really hip hop heads. Nor does CD hate Dallas, that’s Houston. This doesn't seem valid.

2. Boston makes a pretty wide range of rap music. Like UE said way upthread- the sound of the city is all over the place, there is a good chance you might come across more people from various backgrounds hearing Boston artists. More old heads, overseas, college students, east coast purists/underground, mainstream, nerds, a few drill people...

3. Boston presented a much better case here for anyone who was undecided and read the thread. The resume was considerably thicker. This may account for the change from the original 4-way city poll. Also with the removal of the words like "Seattle" Boston is less likely to be thought of as in a bag with Seattle.? And because the thread went toward trying to discredit Boston rappers for pages and pages it ended up their names popped up a bunch too- possibly giving bias there.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 03-29-2022 at 10:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City