Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the better hip-hop scene/culture?
Boston 45 51.72%
Dallas 42 48.28%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2022, 04:41 AM
Status: "‘But who is the land for? The sun and the sea for?’" (set 4 days ago)

6,838 posts, read 6,110,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I’m not surprised because

1. This is city data and Boston is popular here
That poster just compared Boston (24% black) to Seattle (7% black). The metro areas are closer in %, but Boston has at least 2 plurality black suburbs and I don’t know if Seattle has any.

If anything the comparison shows how far folks on city data will go to ignore the fact that Boston has a large, established AA community. Much smaller than Dallas, sure. The Bay Area might be a good comparison here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2022, 05:38 AM

4,398 posts, read 4,660,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I’m not surprised because

1. This is city data and Boston is popular here

2. Regardless of who the winner is, it’s not a big difference either way.
Basically

Old 03-30-2022, 06:40 AM

21,806 posts, read 12,992,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
That poster just compared Boston (24% black) to Seattle (7% black). The metro areas are closer in %, but Boston has at least 2 plurality black suburbs and I don’t know if Seattle has any.

If anything the comparison shows how far folks on city data will go to ignore the fact that Boston has a large, established AA community. Much smaller than Dallas, sure. The Bay Area might be a good comparison here?
“I think Boston won cuz people love Boston”

*specifically mentions, twice, he went with Boston because BIA, not cause he loves Boston*

Lol. I guess no one else can draw the same conclusion. Because it wouldn’t make logical to pick the city with the artists who’s had a bigger billboard hit than any artists out of either city in the last 5 years… and the city that’s produced a Grammy nominee in the last 5 years, right?

What makes a lot more sense is people want Boston to beat Dallas in a rap poll in the corner of the internet.

/s

Old 03-30-2022, 08:40 AM

2,999 posts, read 3,124,546 times
Does VANILLA ICE count for Dallas?!? Hahahaha!!!

Old 03-30-2022, 08:57 AM

11,916 posts, read 8,149,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post

You have a fair point but Boston often gets lumpsom'd in the heavily white collar metros specializing in R&D, STEM, Tech, and Universities. Nothing wrong with it, its just.. ..not a place I think of when it comes to Hip Hop.

Old 03-30-2022, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
You have a fair point but Boston often gets lumpsom'd in the heavily white collar metros specializing in R&D, STEM, Tech, and Universities. Nothing wrong with it, its just.. ..not a place I think of when it comes to Hip Hop.
This is exactly why the idea that Boston is winning because of some sort of pro-Boston bias doesn't makes sense for this topic.

Boston is a heavily white-collar metro its not unfair to lump it in there- but so is DC and even NYC. these things don't mean black people and the cultures that accompany them don't live and flourish there. The Bay area has a great hip-hop legacy and a very distinct hip-hop culture. It's more Tech than anywhere.

If you look for it or google Boston hip hop you will find it in spades from 1979 to now. But people have their own impressions of what the city is without really ever talking to people from the innercity cultures there...Ppl define Boston more on what SNL says or on its suburbs/Cambridge than longtime Boston residents/natives. And that's not changing anytime soon. But that doesn't speak to the "quality" of the scene. especially not in the modern day wheen there's such a flood of music that talent no longer rises to the top. The most popular Boston rappers and rappers in general arent the best ones are the most popular in their hometown. That's pretty standard atp.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 03-30-2022 at 09:18 AM..

Old 03-30-2022, 12:23 PM

141 posts, read 92,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Seattle in general is both much less black and much more integrated and more passive-aggressive with a more suburban slant to its "inner city" culture as far as I can tell. Boston is not Philadelphia but it's not Seattle either. Falls somewhere in the middle.
I gotta disagree with you on that one. I've been to both Boston and Seattle recently and Seattle feels like the sketchier city. The Seattle metro also has cities like Tacoma which is on pace for a murder rate of nearly 25/100K, which Boston doesn't have anything like that. The Seattle Metro in general has a decent amount of gang activity although it's limited to a few areas in South Seattle, South King County, and Pierce County:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cLVdivrgnk

Anyway, I don't see why % of Black population is somehow being used to mean "more ghetto". In the other poll, Seattle and Phoenix were included, with Phoenix being the one that was clearly selected for worst hip-hop culture. Seattle's is clearly better than Phoenix, but clearly not as good as Boston or Dallas. But anyway, both Seattle and Phoenix have a much lower Black percentage than Boston and as metro areas are more dangerous than Boston.

Old 03-30-2022, 12:26 PM

365 posts, read 233,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGuterson View Post
I gotta disagree with you on that one. I've been to both Boston and Seattle recently and Seattle feels like the sketchier city. The Seattle metro also has cities like Tacoma which is on pace for a murder rate of nearly 25/100K, which Boston doesn't have anything like that. The Seattle Metro in general has a decent amount of gang activity although it's limited to a few areas in South Seattle, South King County, and Pierce County:

Anyway, I don't see why % of Black population is somehow being used to mean "more ghetto". In the other poll, Seattle and Phoenix were included, with Phoenix being the one that was clearly selected for worst hip-hop culture. Seattle's is clearly better than Phoenix, but clearly not as good as Boston or Dallas. But anyway, both Seattle and Phoenix have a much lower Black percentage than Boston and as metro areas are more dangerous than Boston.
Seattle and Boston do have a lot in common, both are generally nice cities with some ghetto areas. I feel safer in Boston though. Downtown Seattle is definitely way sketchier than Downtown Boston these days.

Old 03-30-2022, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGuterson View Post

IN a normal year Boston's homicide rate is 2x Seattle, with singular Boston neighborhoods recording more homicides than Seattle as a city as recently as 2019. In 2019 Dorchester 6 square mile recorded 32 homicides. Seattle 90+ square miles as a city recorded 28.

Other than 02021 and 2022 its always had much higher gun crime and homicide tallies as a city. Unlike Seattle most grit, crime, and most African American culture are neither in the suburb nor downtown. For sure Boston has always been a significantly higher crime city due to what happens in its inner-city neighborhoods. But its shows some great improvement during the pandemic whereas Seattle has followed national trends.

I did not mention crime though. I mentioned attitude and segrgation. Boston is objectively much more segregated (that's not debatable) and with black people living in more high-density urban areas. This results in a more isolated and maintained black culture- generally. No need for crime reels.

As far as personality people in Boston are generally aggressive and in your face whereas I'm told in Seattle they are passive-aggrresive.

I dont think i mentioned ghetto or crime actually..that was superimposed on black and inner city..hmmm. Thats telling in and of itself...

Old 03-30-2022, 12:35 PM

117 posts, read 81,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarSeltzer View Post
Seattle and Boston do have a lot in common, both are generally nice cities with some ghetto areas. I feel safer in Boston though. Downtown Seattle is definitely way sketchier than Downtown Boston these days.
Seattle's hip-hop scene exists at least, and there is some history there, some famous names - Phoenix literally has nothing. Boston is definitely better than Seattle for hip-hop though - Seattle is known for being a Rock hub, and to a lesser extent a Jazz hub.

In terms of ghetoness, I've been to the bad parts of both areas. Boston has a more classic urban form, but Seattle's ghettos aren't anything to play with either. They're comparable but I also admit that I'd feel safer in the urban core of Boston than I would in Seattle's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City