Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the better hip-hop scene/culture?
Boston 45 51.72%
Dallas 42 48.28%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2022, 01:10 PM

9,916 posts, read 6,634,537 times

Advertisements

That’s not why Boston is the East version of Seattle. It’s because Boston is the home of Dunkin while Seattle is the home of Starbucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2022, 01:11 PM

2,307 posts, read 1,719,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Last bit on Crime. In a typical year about pre-pandemic Seattle had about 100 shooting victims Fatal and nonfatal combined. 24% of the being white.

https://www.seattle.gov/Documents/De...PORT_FINAL.pdf
https://kingcounty.gov/~/media/depts...ort.ashx?la=en

In a typical year, pre-pandemic Boston has about 240 shooting victims. With probably less than 3% of them being white. So again it impacts people and the cities very differently.
There really is no "typical" year necessarily - I think what you mean is in the most recent years preceding the pandemic. Seattle was on a run from the early 2010s to the pandemic that was the safest (in terms of violent crime) per capita on record in its history. Other Western cities like Portland and Denver also saw historically low-crime years during this stretch. The pandemic has been a rude awakening for a lot of Western cities.

Overall, it's not really Apples to Apples comparing Seattle proper and Boston proper since the most dangerous parts of the Seattle Metro are not in Seattle proper. The fact that the last year or two Seattle proper has had higher violent crime and murder rates than Boston proper means that on a metro level, Seattle has been substantially worse than Boston during this period. These things all come in cycles though - who knows what the landscape will look like in 5-10 years from now. Suffice to say both are quite safe by American standards, although neither are to the level of a San Diego or a San Jose.

Old 03-31-2022, 08:45 PM

2,307 posts, read 1,719,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
That’s not why Boston is the East version of Seattle. It’s because Boston is the home of Dunkin while Seattle is the home of Starbucks.
I know you're joking but in all honesty the two cities are very different culturally. Seattle is much more similar to San Francisco and Boston is much more similar to NYC than they are to each other.

Old 03-31-2022, 08:50 PM

21,691 posts, read 12,836,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
I know you're joking but in all honesty the two cities are very different culturally. Seattle is much more similar to San Francisco and Boston is much more similar to NYC than they are to each other.
Very accurate- having been to 3 of these 4 cities.

Old 04-01-2022, 02:38 PM

Thread is dead but this is just a really good song (esp. verses 2 and 3) that has no views and was released in total obscurity as a throwaway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOGE6PcsAmU

Old 04-02-2022, 08:55 PM

2,236 posts, read 1,126,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I’ve never heard any of those Dallas rappers you named to start NGL already posted a bunch of coi leray repping Boston I just don’t feel like doing that. She claims Boston heavily and that’s just is what it is.it’s all out there.

In the last thread I said I only felt like claiming Guru but people said naw Gangstarr is fine. I’m just using Gangstarr as parlances. Guru raps about Boston in a few songs, and lived there longer than Post had been in the suburbs of Dallas…he’s definitely Boston

Jidenna live in Boston longer than anywhere else and raps about it on “Sou Sou”. He also interviews and talked about Boston and it’s demographics and culture with Ebro on Apple Music..and a few other interviews. So.. selective hearing?

Is 106 and Park not the hip hop scene/culture?? You c ant write the at off it was the hip hop culture pacemaker for a while. You can’t just make it about only rapper and then include say cheese which is a gossip blog lol

Btw…House of pain isn’t even from New England let alone Boston… not really sure why Marky mark is a joke? He wasn’t a good rapper but he was a rapper with a few songs, and was really like “street” despite who he is now. Not our proudest moment but still he existed..

I’ve never heard of the due you compare to Term but Term is very widely known highly regarded and was a XXL freshman.

You also skipped over ED OG Statik Selektah and Clinton Sparks.
Just found out house of pain wasn’t from Boston last year. Felt like my life was a lie. Bunch’s white Irish guys in a pub with one of them rocking a Larry Bird jersey. They seemed almost comically white Boston

Old 04-02-2022, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Just found out house of pain wasn’t from Boston last year. Felt like my life was a lie. Bunch’s white Irish guys in a pub with one of them rocking a Larry Bird jersey. They seemed almost comically white Boston

They're from Los Angeles.

Boston is a 'brand' White America taps into to sell weak music, Kias, movies, soul food, donuts, merch, and virtually anything else especially when they wanna feel tough or urban. They claim it freely doesn't matter to them where they are from. Those dudes are from thousands of miles away...

Old 04-05-2022, 07:40 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,407,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Which has a larger black population and more significant AA culture ? That's your answer right there.
Nope

Old 04-08-2022, 09:35 AM

BIA and J Cole. "London"

Produced By Aziz the Shake (from Boston) and Lil Rich (from Lowell MA)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZFmMoeU5m0

Old 04-11-2022, 05:18 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,040,806 times
Mainstream rap i choose Boston. Underground local rap Dallas all day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City