Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the better hip-hop scene/culture?
Boston 45 51.72%
Dallas 42 48.28%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 09:14 AM

21,836 posts, read 13,052,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
If all you have to be to be a rapper is have some hip hop elements in your music, we basically every pop artist is a rapper at this point. Including Dua Lipa.
Anyone who specifically says they're not a rapper. Multiple times? in different years? and makes pop music and rock music-really isn't a rapper. They don't want to be a rapper.

The only exception I'll give is Lil Wayne only because he doesnt think he is a human being...and idk if he said hes not a rapper with any seriousness (or ever) or more than once. I just think he might have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2022, 09:20 AM

Quote:
If all you have to be to be a rapper is have some hip hop elements in your music, we basically every pop artist is a rapper at this point. I.e. Dua Lipa.

On the culture vulturing note, sure Posty is guilty but he’s not much worse than the music industry in general now or historically. I don’t really understand why people particularly single him out and not the long list of everyone else who does too
I'm aware of those people. But he's the big main one in the mainstream. The worst one since Miley Cyrus and Iggy Azalea back in 2014.

He kinda gets singled out because unlike a Lyor Cohen or even a Marky Mark (I cringe) he's not dedicated to rap like Lyor or actually raised in and from the "urban" culture like a Marky Mark or Millyz. He's closer to Vanilla Ice who I think is Dallas/Miami. Jack Harlow really doesn't get that treatment that Post does because he's an actual rapper.

Post seems more like he wanted to do Rock but Rock isn't poppin so he got some tats and braids and went with Rap.

Old 03-23-2022, 09:20 AM

119 posts, read 38,351 times
I mean it's clearly Boston. You have Joyner Lucas, Millyz, Coi Leray(debatable, she might claim NJ), 40 B.A.R.R.S (undisputably the best female battle rapper), Chilla Jones(battle rapper), Token, D'theflyest. Boston has more rappers associated with big names in the industry. The fact that you're even comparing the DFW Metro which has nearly 1 million blacks to little ol' Boston + its immediate surroundings which has less than 300k, should indicate how underwhelming Dallas' productivity is.

Dallas, DMV, Baltimore, New Jersey, and Milwaukee are my top 5 black areas that severely underperform relative to their black population.

Old 03-23-2022, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperechelon View Post
I mean it's clearly Boston. You have Joyner Lucas, Millyz, Coi Leray(debatable, she might claim NJ), 40 B.A.R.R.S (undisputably the best female battle rapper), Chilla Jones(battle rapper), Token, D'theflyest. Boston has more rappers associated with big names in the industry. The fact that you're even comparing the DFW Metro which has nearly 1 million blacks to little ol' Boston + its immediate surroundings which has less than 300k, should indicate how underwhelming Dallas' productivity is.

Dallas, DMV, Baltimore, New Jersey, and Milwaukee are my top 5 black areas that severely underperform relative to their black population.
Coi Leray claims Both equally. I dont wanna sound like a fanboy but I was friend with her on IG before she was famous- and she often was in Dorchester/Roxbury just cooling eating plates and she tweets about Boston, wears larry bird jerseys and stuff.

Yea moving to Baltimore I'm still shocked at how insignificant the rap culture is here and how they let Bmore CLub music just dies after K Swift dies at Artscape. It great music but the hip-hop culture here is DEAD as hellll compared to Boston. It makes no sense. Ive told people here I think Baltimore rappers need to rap more about the city- there are great stories here and pictures to paint. But theyre so caught up in sounding like a fast-paced Atlanta rapper,smh.

DC has a decent hip-hop scene for sure. But given it prominence in the black community it underperforms. New Jersey has been improving slowly but theyre rap quality irs pretty low IMO.

Milwaukee is just a damn shame.

However, the Boston area has an absolute bare minimum 365,000 black people. The MSA has 500,000 including Hispanic and mixed race. So its a little above the Bay Area and kind of on par with like Cleveland/Orlando. The larger CSA-which includes Worcester and Providence-has 720,000 black residents- including Hispanics and mixed race.

Old 03-23-2022, 09:41 AM

10,094 posts, read 6,782,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Anyone who specifically says they're not a rapper. Multiple times? in different years? and makes pop music and rock music-really isn't a rapper. They don't want to be a rapper.

The only exception I'll give is Lil Wayne only because he doesnt think he is a human being...and idk if he said hes not a rapper with any seriousness (or ever) or more than once. I just think he might have.
For me it’s not about saying you’re not a rapper. The case with Post is that the song that brought him into the mainstream (White Iverson) happens to be one of his few songs that could pass for a legit hip hop track. Most things he’s released post that don’t. Overall, he’s a pop star that infuses hip hop as one of the various elements overall in addition to rock, EDM, metal etc. Not any different than Justin Bieber.

Regardless, we agree there’s a good reason he’s not included these conversations.

Old 03-23-2022, 09:45 AM

Quote:
For me it’s not about saying you’re not a rapper. The case with Post is that the song that brought him into the mainstream (White Iverson) happens to be one of his few songs that could pass for a legit hip hop track. Most things he’s released post that don’t. Overall, he’s a pop star that infuses hip hop as one of the various elements overall in addition to rock, EDM, metal etc. Not any different than Justin Bieber.

Regardless, we agree there’s a good reason he’s not included these conversations.
yea that's all fair. I was gonna do a Justin Bieber comparison earlier. Like you said about White Iverson it like so many things/industries. Look at Fox. Start as Black and then you use that as a back door to the mainstream. We've seen it 100 times.

Old 03-23-2022, 09:48 AM

119 posts, read 38,351 times
Quote:
Coi Leray claims Both equally. I dont wanna sound like a fanboy but I was friend with her on IG before she was famous- and she often was in Dorchester/Roxbury just cooling eating plates and she tweets about Boston, wears larry bird jerseys and stuff.

Yea moving to Baltimore I'm still shocked at how insignificant the rap culture is here and how they let Bmore CLub music just dies after K Swift dies at Artscape. It great music but the hip-hop culture here is DEAD as hellll compared to Boston. It makes no sense. Ive told people here I think Baltimore rappers need to rap more about the city- there are great stories here and pictures to paint. But theyre so caught up in sounding like a fast-paced Atlanta rapper,smh.

DC has a decent hip-hop scene for sure. But given it prominence in the black community it underperforms. New Jersey has been improving slowly but theyre rap quality irs pretty low IMO.

Milwaukee is just a damn shame.

However, the Boston area has an absolute bare minimum 365,000 black people. The MSA has 500,000 including Hispanic and mixed race. So its a little above the Bay Area and kind of on par with like Cleveland/Orlando. The larger CSA has 720,000 black residents including Hispanics and mixed race.
Nahh bro, I'm talking the nucleus (DRM) and maybe Cambridge. It's only about 200k give or take. I'm not including Brockton, Lawrence, and all that other ish.

We're going to get called homers, but how can we be labeled anything other than overachievers? With a racist stigma, no nightlife, being blackballed from black America (you should see black people faces when I tell them I'm from Boston and not NYC when they hear me speak), and a white population that wants to hog all of Boston's spotlight. All of that in the way and we still manage to produce.

BTW, what would you say is stopping Baltimore from popping? The only time I see the city is about their accents.

Old 03-23-2022, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperechelon View Post
Nahh bro, I'm talking the nucleus (DRM) and maybe Cambridge. It's only about 200k give or take. I'm not including Brockton, Lawrence, and all that other ish.

We're going to get called homers, but how can we be labeled anything other than overachievers? With a racist stigma, no nightlife, being blackballed from black America (you should see black people faces when I tell them I'm from Boston and not NYC when they hear me speak), and a white population that wants to hog all of Boston's spotlight. All of that in the way and we still manage to produce.

BTW, what would you say is stopping Baltimore from popping? The only time I see the city is about their accents.
Yea okay then I see you but you kind of have to include Brockton and Lawrence. That’s a major part of the rap llife/culture.

And it ain’t NO nightlife. I always had options in Boston. It’s just the same 7 spots-Icon, Bijou, tunnel, good life, Kay’s, Savvor, Karma and occasionally Koy, HAVA or Wonderbar. So I disagree thoroughly there. But the rest is true. If you’re in Boston there a Silk RnB pet going on at BigNight Live Tomorrow it looks like it gonna be dope.

The stigma surrounding Boston is the only reason this vote is close. People not paying attention will default to Dallas regardless.

Here’s that party btw: https://instagram.com/silkrnbparty?utm_medium=copy_link

Where’s Nasty is DJing…

In Baltimore they just struggling to damn much from what ic an tell and they’re kind of like negative/down in their city and it really zaps the energy. Also it’s not safe enough to have events anywhere. Young black people don’t congregate in Baltimore much not because it’s unwelcome but people don’t feel safe enough to do that. And I think more of the management-minded people/visinary people are concentrated in DC. But there like fewer colleges students, and media outlets to cover rap in Baltimore than in Boston. Additionally, there are no like fashion brands like a KOR/Riccardi/My Home My Hell or something that kind of add texture to the scene. When Bmore club collapesed there wasnt the proper rap infrastructure in place I guess.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 03-23-2022 at 10:06 AM..

Old 03-23-2022, 09:59 AM

20,540 posts, read 33,689,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
Kinda a tie imo - it all depends on what you find important.

Present: South Side Dallas in terms of trends, dances, easy-going party rap

Historically: Boston - especially lyrically

Dallas is overshadowed a lil bit by Houston, New Orleans, and Memphis
It’s definitely not a lil bit. It’s overwhelming that these cities overshadow Dallas, at least historically. Dallas is nowhere near the tier of Houston in Texas as it is. Again, Dallas had a little scene in the late 80s but was practically unheard of nationally until the late 2000s. Between that period, you had kottonmouth, mr pookie and mr lucci. They were popular regionally but couldn’t hold a candle to what Houston artists were doing around that same time. Then in 2009-2011, they had a little wave with dances and durrough music. Very forgettable answer and the only impact that came out of that era was the dougie.

Not hatin on Dallas but it never really set its identity for the nation to be intrigued by.

Old 03-23-2022, 10:08 AM

816 posts, read 483,260 times
Quote:
How is Dallas present when Boston artists are currently on the radio more than Dallas though? Due to Coi Leray (dubiously Boston), Jidenna, BIA and to a lesser extent Joyner and Millyz in places like Shade 45. And are doing more collaborations across the board?

The last Dallas dance was when? Yella Beezy was a easy-going party rap one-hit guy but what trends/dances are present exactly?

Obviously, I'm defending Boston- but really, what counts as “present”?

Houston NOLA Memphis are on a very different tier than Dallas that almost like saying NYC overshadows Boston when in reality it’s just incomparable.

Lastly- is there any current Dallas battle rapper in the level of Chilla Jones?

What are the local outlets for hip hop in Dallas? Blogs/podcast/cypher series/radio shows/websites etc.

I know the iHeartRadio Top 30 hip hop countdown is a national hip hop countdown show whose home station is on Boston’s Jamn 945 (which is normally a reall weak station outside of their JAMN mixers and the LaunchPad) and hosted by Boston DJ PupDawg.

JAMN 945 was successful enough that when it got bought by iHeart the “JAMN” thing became a trademarked brand duplicated in a few markets for then. But it really is the worst legacy hip hop station in the country bar none in terms of regular music programming.
I appreciate your passion for all things Boston as a native and current Baltimore resident (a cool local scene there as well).

You're shifting the words in my post. I mentioned it is relatively a tie, but the above is being interpreted as saying I favored Dallas over Boston and here we go with all this irrelevant detail.

Trust - no one is as plug into the Boston hip-hop scene as you. With that said, it's still very niche.

The overshadowing part is just mentioning the reality where Dallas is at the moment for added context, but holds no weight in this conversation.

Last edited by norcal2k19; 03-23-2022 at 10:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City