Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the better hip-hop scene/culture?
Boston 45 51.72%
Dallas 42 48.28%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 09:25 PM

2,310 posts, read 1,733,068 times

Advertisements

Who are the top 3 hip-hop artists right now from each city? In terms of name recognition regionally, nationally, and globally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2022, 09:52 PM

21,806 posts, read 12,992,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Who are the top 3 hip-hop artists right now from each city? In terms of name recognition regionally, nationally, and globally.
BIA, Joyner Lucas, Millyz (since there is Coi Leray dissent)

Asian Doll, Cuban Doll (I thought this was Asian Dolls old name..), Yella Beezy (since there is Post Malone dissent)

Old 03-23-2022, 10:22 PM

10,033 posts, read 6,737,657 times
In my opinion, BIA is the hottest within that list. She’s not huge, but as a concert goer, I see her at more shows than the rest.

Old 03-23-2022, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
In my opinion, BIA is the hottest within that list. She’s not huge, but as a concert goer, I see her at more shows than the rest.
On the whole I just found out who Cuban doll is and she’s really just an IG baddie with a few loosies. Both the Dolls (Asian/Cuban/Cream/Kash whatever) I just - they’re not on my radar. Yella Beezy had that song 3 years ago. Joyner is still in tracks with Lil Baby and Cole as of 2021/22. And getting that your heart song gets spins on SiriusXM. Millyz is on his major upswing. So again- I think that’s advantage Boston.

Old 03-24-2022, 09:30 AM

4,398 posts, read 4,660,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upperechelon View Post
BBMM is reaching with some of those dudes he listed, but Millyz and Joyner Lucas are bigger than anything from Dallas right now. Both of those guys can literally book shows overseas in Europe consistently. No one from Dallas is big outside the chitlin circuit. Artists like Lil Loaded, MO3, etc is just the result of the DFW metro having a lot of blacks and playing the lottery. They have no reach at all. Most Black Americans are in the South, so southern artists appear bigger than what they really are. The true measure is the ability to travel to different countries and still have reach. Boston is way more efficient with less quantity. And The Source has done way more for hip-hop than SayCheeseTV.
Now we're discrediting artist based on region now? I'm sorry but that's ass. I guess I should discredit Millyz since he's a white rapper? Because we know being a White artist in a black genre gets you certain advantages. Which btw, I know who Joyner Lucas is. I just found out who Millyz is. Nobody rocking his **** down here. I never heard of the man. He's not a household name. Mo3 and Lil Loaded were bigger than Millyz. Numbers don't lie. I'm looking at Millyz youtube views and his biggest video is at 3.1 mill with Jadakiss. Matter fact his videos barely reach over a mill and that's only when he has a more popular artist featured on his record. Basically folks aint checking for no damn Millyz like that. They checking for the hotter features on his records.

Mo3-Outside (Better Days)video has 103 million views. Lil Loaded Gang Unit has 57 million views. You stuck in the early 00's if you think it's about regions now. It's all digital. People lie, numbers don't. I never heard of this tatted up white rapper EVER.

And how is Boston way more efficient when the Bostonians in here are crying about recognition and people still stuck on the old stereotypical Boston image. If you gotta cry about acknowledgement than clearly you not efficient. Imagine NYC or Philly or Chicago crying for acknowledgment and respect. Got nothing to do with Boston image. Yall just overselling Boston's impact in hip-hop like a mothaf*cka.

Btw, I never said SaycheeseTV has done more for the source. I said SaycheeseTV is a relevant platform based out of Dallas now. Here is "Boston's" biggest rapper on a Dallas based platform claiming New Jersey as her home state.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2TLO42WUgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I’ve never heard any of those Dallas rappers you named to start NGL already posted a bunch of coi leray repping Boston I just don’t feel like doing that. She claims Boston heavily and that’s just is what it is.it’s all out there.

In the last thread I said I only felt like claiming Guru but people said naw Gangstarr is fine. I’m just using Gangstarr as parlances. Guru raps about Boston in a few songs, and lived there longer than Post had been in the suburbs of Dallas…he’s definitely Boston

Jidenna live in Boston longer than anywhere else and raps about it on “Sou Sou”. He also interviews and talked about Boston and it’s demographics and culture with Ebro on Apple Music..and a few other interviews. So.. selective hearing?

Is 106 and Park not the hip hop scene/culture?? You c ant write the at off it was the hip hop culture pacemaker for a while. You can’t just make it about only rapper and then include say cheese which is a gossip blog lol

Btw…House of pain isn’t even from New England let alone Boston… not really sure why Marky mark is a joke? He wasn’t a good rapper but he was a rapper with a few songs, and was really like “street” despite who he is now. Not our proudest moment but still he existed..

I’ve never heard of the due you compare to Term but Term is very widely known highly regarded and was a XXL freshman.

You also skipped over ED OG Statik Selektah and Clinton Sparks.
Coi Leray repping New Jersey in this interview here. So you tell me?

Guru is Boston, Premier is not though. When Guru and Premier joined forces they formed the group out of NYC and became a NY based duo.

If you want to claim Jidenna as a Boston hip-hop artist fine, I'm just saying musically he associates with Atlanta and Nigeria more than the city he lived in longer than anywhere else. I guess 2pac can be considered a Bronx rapper or a Baltimore rapper even though he's labled a Westcoast artist.

And I had to look it up. Damn this whole time I thought House of Pain was from Boston and come to find out Everlast is from New York state. The Boston Celtics jersey and Irish pride threw me all the way up. Back in the 90s a lot of people thought they were from Boston.

106 and park was a commercial R&B and Hip-Hop show on BET based out of NEW YORK CITY. It was not a Boston staple. That's what I'm talking about. You can't claim 106 and Park as Boston just because Free was from Boston. A.J. was from New Jersey so I guess it's a Boston-New Jersey hybrid show? Regardless it was a show that showcased artist from all over the country. It was a commercial entity. Free being the host didn't automatically put Boston on. I can't even recall many Boston artist premiering a video on 106 and Park. At this point it just sound like you're naming people from Boston. But exactly how did that add to the Boston hip-hop scene and than spread to a wide audience beyond Boston that the general public knew as a Boston hip-hop stable?

As far as Terminology. Look, I know who Terminology is because I use to be heavy into the mixtape era of Hip-Hop. Even use to buy mixtapes damn near every week from like 2002-2004 from Mixunit which was Clinton Sparks site out of CT. I actually use to rock w/ Terminology. Thought he had some nice sh*t. But the average hip-hop fan didn't know who Terminology was. Unless you were heavy into the indie mixtape scene during the early 00's than you probably heard of him. But he wasn't a mainstream artist.

I'm pretty sure you never heard of Big Tuck but his album and single peaked on the Billboard charts. That's more than I can say for Terminology. Btw, I compared Big Tuck to Terminology because like Terminology Big Tuck along with the group he was in called DSR came up off mixtapes. They were around the same time but Big Tuck actually was able to peak on the billboard charts. So they would pretty much be in the same category. But because Tuck had some commercial success I would bump his impact to hip-hop above Terminology.

You know how many rappers been on XXL freshman covers and never blew up or are struggling rappers now? That's not impressive. That's not leaving a dent in the game.

I skipped over ED OG/ Statik and Clinton because they actually had an impact beyond Boston while putting on for Boston. To me that's what defines a hip-hop scene beyond your city.

Did you put your city on? Did you create a signature sound/trend that can only be found in your city? Does the city produce mainstream acts that people associate the city with along with the artist?

Case and point: Atlanta is known for trap music. When you think of Atlanta you think of T.I. and Outkast and of course others. You don't have to listen to interviews to know who is from what city or where such and such grew up at. You seen the videos, you've heard the iconic places in the city. You know these artist are from Atlanta. You've heard the slang that's associated with Atlanta.

Does Boston have that when it comes to Hip-hop? Nope, now don't get me wrong Dallas isn't a top tier hip-hop mecca either. But Dallas has produced a bigger identity and true hip-hop scene that people recognize more outside of it's local area than Boston. Boston can't get out of New York's shadow. DFW is nowhere near Houston's place in hip-hop but it's not really in Houston's shadow either. It's establish it's own sound and style beyond the metroplex.

Old 03-24-2022, 09:37 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO-UiDZUOKA

Shes a Cape Verdean who literally said "yea I'm from boston"

https://twitter.com/coi_leray/status...74643451973638

She runs around in Larry bird jersey, talking about she "bleeds boston". Sorry but it's obviously a massive influence on her, personally.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 03-24-2022 at 09:55 AM..

Old 03-24-2022, 09:37 AM

4,753 posts, read 3,002,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
That is not the same thing at all. Rappers sampling and collabing with other genres isn’t uncommon and it’s not the same thing as a pop singer (not even a rapper) incorporating hip hop elements in his music. For me, it’s not even about race. Beyoncé has been incorporating hip hop left and right ever since her self titled album in 2013 but is she honestly a rapper? No.

And to be fair to Post, I think that the culture vulturing claims on him is fully deserved but why is he the punching bag? Where’s this energy for Dua Lipa? Ke$ha? Justin Bieber?
Because Ke$ha was raped by her manager (who got away with it) so she gets a pass. And Justin Bieber has been on the scene since he was 10 and he started with pure pop. Posty came in being a rapper in almost everyway. The biggest flack Bieber got was abandoning his Black friends like Chance when he was going through his drug/life issues a few years ago and was coming out of it with that one church.

Old 03-24-2022, 09:44 AM

If half of 106 and park and its most famous personality ifs from Boston that means Boston is involved heavily in the show, duh.

Bro like he said no one outside the Chitlin circuit knows Lil loaded or Mo3 never heard of the people in my life honest to goodness... If Multiple posters in the also thread know Millyz. Multiple, 585 WNY, BrooklynJo, MD Finest, PSwag,.... posters not from Boston that's on you... Stizz is out here on Power 106, Power 105, Hot 97 and hes not even that popular. So idk about these other dudes youre talking about.

Boston is efficient but there are just a lot of people like yourself who think Boston is House of Pain lol.

But yes people from and Born/raised in Boston are a part of the scene in our city. But yea obviously if Boston and Dallas are neck and neck Boston is more efficient than Dallas when it has 3x as many balck people. Is that hard to understand??

and has more current htis...and a greater legacy...like what is your argument for dallas aside from disparaging Boston? Two goofball dances?? Obviously, the OP, me and others don't think Dallas has a welll known hip-hop scene. And nearly half the people in this poll dont think its better than boston. A major detriment to a city with wayyy more black people than boston. How may times does this have to be communicated? T

he best thing you have is SyayCheese TV bruh. Thats it. Youre arguing with that and the DOC, another group, I dont know.

You’re not even hitting on Amalgam Digit Jim Jones/Max B wave and how they were based in Boston. Or Chilla Jones and 40 Barss. You’re whole method is too try to go through the list and discount Boston and when you can’t you ignore. A better hip hop scene includes all things surrounding it including media publications, local coverage, behind the scenes, cultural commentators, producers, etc. in Bostons case some labels don’t want Bostons papers to mention “Boston” on atrack- most notably RCA. And then there people like yourself who no matter what would never credit Boston fully for its contribution to black culture. Idk if that can be pinned on is for being “inefficient” just a lot anti-Boston sentiment out there.

as Guterson said- Dallas is getting credit simply for being in Texas dawg… and needlessly conflated with Houston..factually this is an L. If it weren’t Dallas would be up 30-4

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 03-24-2022 at 10:23 AM..

Old 03-24-2022, 10:25 AM

119 posts, read 38,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Now we're discrediting artist based on region now? I'm sorry but that's ass. I guess I should discredit Millyz since he's a white rapper? Because we know being a White artist in a black genre gets you certain advantages. Which btw, I know who Joyner Lucas is. I just found out who Millyz is. Nobody rocking his **** down here. I never heard of the man. He's not a household name. Mo3 and Lil Loaded were bigger than Millyz. Numbers don't lie. I'm looking at Millyz youtube views and his biggest video is at 3.1 mill with Jadakiss. Matter fact his videos barely reach over a mill and that's only when he has a more popular artist featured on his record. Basically folks aint checking for no damn Millyz like that. They checking for the hotter features on his records.

Mo3-Outside (Better Days)video has 103 million views. Lil Loaded Gang Unit has 57 million views. You stuck in the early 00's if you think it's about regions now. It's all digital. People lie, numbers don't. I never heard of this tatted up white rapper EVER.

And how is Boston way more efficient when the Bostonians in here are crying about recognition and people still stuck on the old stereotypical Boston image. If you gotta cry about acknowledgement than clearly you not efficient. Imagine NYC or Philly or Chicago crying for acknowledgment and respect. Got nothing to do with Boston image. Yall just overselling Boston's impact in hip-hop like a mothaf*cka.

Btw, I never said SaycheeseTV has done more for the source. I said SaycheeseTV is a relevant platform based out of Dallas now. Here is "Boston's" biggest rapper on a Dallas based platform claiming New Jersey as her home state.

Coi Leray repping New Jersey in this interview here. So you tell me?

Guru is Boston, Premier is not though. When Guru and Premier joined forces they formed the group out of NYC and became a NY based duo.

If you want to claim Jidenna as a Boston hip-hop artist fine, I'm just saying musically he associates with Atlanta and Nigeria more than the city he lived in longer than anywhere else. I guess 2pac can be considered a Bronx rapper or a Baltimore rapper even though he's labled a Westcoast artist.

And I had to look it up. Damn this whole time I thought House of Pain was from Boston and come to find out Everlast is from New York state. The Boston Celtics jersey and Irish pride threw me all the way up. Back in the 90s a lot of people thought they were from Boston.

106 and park was a commercial R&B and Hip-Hop show on BET based out of NEW YORK CITY. It was not a Boston staple. That's what I'm talking about. You can't claim 106 and Park as Boston just because Free was from Boston. A.J. was from New Jersey so I guess it's a Boston-New Jersey hybrid show? Regardless it was a show that showcased artist from all over the country. It was a commercial entity. Free being the host didn't automatically put Boston on. I can't even recall many Boston artist premiering a video on 106 and Park. At this point it just sound like you're naming people from Boston. But exactly how did that add to the Boston hip-hop scene and than spread to a wide audience beyond Boston that the general public knew as a Boston hip-hop stable?

As far as Terminology. Look, I know who Terminology is because I use to be heavy into the mixtape era of Hip-Hop. Even use to buy mixtapes damn near every week from like 2002-2004 from Mixunit which was Clinton Sparks site out of CT. I actually use to rock w/ Terminology. Thought he had some nice sh*t. But the average hip-hop fan didn't know who Terminology was. Unless you were heavy into the indie mixtape scene during the early 00's than you probably heard of him. But he wasn't a mainstream artist.

I'm pretty sure you never heard of Big Tuck but his album and single peaked on the Billboard charts. That's more than I can say for Terminology. Btw, I compared Big Tuck to Terminology because like Terminology Big Tuck along with the group he was in called DSR came up off mixtapes. They were around the same time but Big Tuck actually was able to peak on the billboard charts. So they would pretty much be in the same category. But because Tuck had some commercial success I would bump his impact to hip-hop above Terminology.

You know how many rappers been on XXL freshman covers and never blew up or are struggling rappers now? That's not impressive. That's not leaving a dent in the game.

I skipped over ED OG/ Statik and Clinton because they actually had an impact beyond Boston while putting on for Boston. To me that's what defines a hip-hop scene beyond your city.

Did you put your city on? Did you create a signature sound/trend that can only be found in your city? Does the city produce mainstream acts that people associate the city with along with the artist?

Case and point: Atlanta is known for trap music. When you think of Atlanta you think of T.I. and Outkast and of course others. You don't have to listen to interviews to know who is from what city or where such and such grew up at. You seen the videos, you've heard the iconic places in the city. You know these artist are from Atlanta. You've heard the slang that's associated with Atlanta.

Does Boston have that when it comes to Hip-hop? Nope, now don't get me wrong Dallas isn't a top tier hip-hop mecca either. But Dallas has produced a bigger identity and true hip-hop scene that people recognize more outside of it's local area than Boston. Boston can't get out of New York's shadow. DFW is nowhere near Houston's place in hip-hop but it's not really in Houston's shadow either. It's establish it's own sound and style beyond the metroplex.
No, no one in the SOUTH is checking for Millyz. Even Dallas' own Asian Doll has a record with him. I can't believe I'm defending a white rapper lmao. He has cosigns from Jadakiss, Joseph Sikora, Mozzy (west-coast), Dave East, G-Herbo(midwest). Millyz clearly has reach outside of Boston. He literally just sold out a show in the UK. Who from Dallas can go overseas? Hell, I might even argue Lil' Baby would have trouble.

Again, MO3 and Lil Loaded having millions of views is just the result of most black Americans living in the south. I know how it is bro. Outside of the chitlin' circuit, those guys are irrelevant. I'm black American with roots from South Carolina, you can't spin me. You guys make artist bigger than what they really are.

Boston's perceived irrelevance is due to our low black population in raw numbers. No one will ever tell me different. We punch way above our weight class and it makes y'll furious. NYC doesn't really overshadow us as we are the capital of an entirely different region, not to mention NYC doesn't really rock with Boston like that the way they do Philly and NJ.

Like bro, DFW has WAY more blacks than Boston and this poll is dead even right now. C'mon man.

Old 03-24-2022, 10:29 AM

Fwiw NYC and NJ people are definitely more amenable and open to Boston and the scene than anywhere else. If they were Guru would’ve never go on nor would agree host 106 not would Jadakiss be commenting under Wayne Selden new IG post. People like 50 cent, French Montana, ghost face and Jada kiss inmate often in Boston. Method Man has a song with Chilla Jones. But no it’s not as close as the Jersey/a Philly relationship but I’d just chalk that up to distance. I do know a Cambridge rapper in an NJ crew

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 03-24-2022 at 11:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City