Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the better hip-hop scene/culture?
Boston 45 51.72%
Dallas 42 48.28%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 10:33 AM

119 posts, read 37,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Fwiw NYC and NJ people are definitely more amenable and open to Boston and the scene than anywhere else. If they were Guru would’ve never go on nor would agree host 106 not would Jadakiss be commenting under Wayne asked new IG post. People like 50 cent, French Montana, ghost face and Jada spen beacon on to me in Boston. Method Man has a song with Chilla Jones. But no it’s not as close as the Jersey/a Philly relationship but I’d just chalk that up to distance. I do know a Cambridge rapper in an NJ crew
I don't know BBMM. Most of the animosity and the "F*** Boston"'s that I see on social media mostly comes from other east coasters, not even southerners. I might be over-generalizing though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2022, 10:37 AM

21,717 posts, read 12,859,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upperechelon View Post
I don't know BBMM. Most of the animosity and the "F*** Boston"'s that I see on social media mostly comes from other east coasters, not even southerners. I might be over-generalizing though.
Naw..I have hella people in NJ. NJ- Boston is a common mix since well before Bobby and Whitney. and my brothers in NYC. I know a lot of those people that are more aware of Boston to spend more time there. I don't really feel see legit animosity. They say F everybody.

And top of everything else I kinda listed in the music industry.

I think that's an overgeneralization...people aren't thinking about Boston that deep anyway to have animosity.

Old 03-24-2022, 01:07 PM

20,524 posts, read 33,593,484 times
Quote:
If half of 106 and park and its most famous personality ifs from Boston that means Boston is involved heavily in the show, duh.

Bro like he said no one outside the Chitlin circuit knows Lil loaded or Mo3 never heard of the people in my life honest to goodness... If Multiple posters in the also thread know Millyz. Multiple, 585 WNY, BrooklynJo, MD Finest, PSwag,.... posters not from Boston that's on you... Stizz is out here on Power 106, Power 105, Hot 97 and hes not even that popular. So idk about these other dudes youre talking about.

Boston is efficient but there are just a lot of people like yourself who think Boston is House of Pain lol.

But yes people from and Born/raised in Boston are a part of the scene in our city. But yea obviously if Boston and Dallas are neck and neck Boston is more efficient than Dallas when it has 3x as many balck people. Is that hard to understand??

and has more current htis...and a greater legacy...like what is your argument for dallas aside from disparaging Boston? Two goofball dances?? Obviously, the OP, me and others don't think Dallas has a welll known hip-hop scene. And nearly half the people in this poll dont think its better than boston. A major detriment to a city with wayyy more black people than boston. How may times does this have to be communicated? T

he best thing you have is SyayCheese TV bruh. Thats it. Youre arguing with that and the DOC, another group, I dont know.

You’re not even hitting on Amalgam Digit Jim Jones/Max B wave and how they were based in Boston. Or Chilla Jones and 40 Barss. You’re whole method is too try to go through the list and discount Boston and when you can’t you ignore. A better hip hop scene includes all things surrounding it including media publications, local coverage, behind the scenes, cultural commentators, producers, etc. in Bostons case some labels don’t want Bostons papers to mention “Boston” on atrack- most notably RCA. And then there people like yourself who no matter what would never credit Boston fully for its contribution to black culture. Idk if that can be pinned on is for being “inefficient” just a lot anti-Boston sentiment out there.

as Guterson said- Dallas is getting credit simply for being in Texas dawg… and needlessly conflated with Houston..factually this is an L. If it weren’t Dallas would be up 30-4
This isn't a group. Again, this is one of the most iconic songs in hip hop but it came out more than 30 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiPbeIXZpD4

Old 03-24-2022, 02:09 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,638,942 times
Quote:
If half of 106 and park and its most famous personality ifs from Boston that means Boston is involved heavily in the show, duh.

Bro like he said no one outside the Chitlin circuit knows Lil loaded or Mo3 never heard of the people in my life honest to goodness... If Multiple posters in the also thread know Millyz. Multiple, 585 WNY, BrooklynJo, MD Finest, PSwag,.... posters not from Boston that's on you... Stizz is out here on Power 106, Power 105, Hot 97 and hes not even that popular. So idk about these other dudes youre talking about.

Boston is efficient but there are just a lot of people like yourself who think Boston is House of Pain lol.

But yes people from and Born/raised in Boston are a part of the scene in our city. But yea obviously if Boston and Dallas are neck and neck Boston is more efficient than Dallas when it has 3x as many balck people. Is that hard to understand??

and has more current htis...and a greater legacy...like what is your argument for dallas aside from disparaging Boston? Two goofball dances?? Obviously, the OP, me and others don't think Dallas has a welll known hip-hop scene. And nearly half the people in this poll dont think its better than boston. A major detriment to a city with wayyy more black people than boston. How may times does this have to be communicated? T

he best thing you have is SyayCheese TV bruh. Thats it. Youre arguing with that and the DOC, another group, I dont know.

You’re not even hitting on Amalgam Digit Jim Jones/Max B wave and how they were based in Boston. Or Chilla Jones and 40 Barss. You’re whole method is too try to go through the list and discount Boston and when you can’t you ignore. A better hip hop scene includes all things surrounding it including media publications, local coverage, behind the scenes, cultural commentators, producers, etc. in Bostons case some labels don’t want Bostons papers to mention “Boston” on atrack- most notably RCA. And then there people like yourself who no matter what would never credit Boston fully for its contribution to black culture. Idk if that can be pinned on is for being “inefficient” just a lot anti-Boston sentiment out there.

as Guterson said- Dallas is getting credit simply for being in Texas dawg… and needlessly conflated with Houston..factually this is an L. If it weren’t Dallas would be up 30-4
1) Let's get one thing straight, outside of Free there is nothing Boston about 106 and park. 106 and park was located in HARLEM,NY. And the name itself is based off 106th street and park avenue. See the fact you're trying to cling on to New York's identity reminds me of that Eminem line when he ****ted on Benzino.

Quote:
Just know that Benzino's wack; no matter how many times I say his name, he'll never blow, jack
You're better off tryin' to bring RSO back
Look at your track record, that's how far it goes back
It's extortion, and Ray owns a portion
So, half of the staff up there is fresh out of jail from Boston
Bullyin' and bossin' Dave like a slave
They completely brainwashed him, and forced him to stay
Locked in his own office
Afraid of the softest, fakest, wannabe gangsta in New York
2) Are we really using CITY DATA to measure what's hot in Hip-hop? LMAOOOO City Data is where you go to to find out what's popping in Hip-Hop. If Imma go to any message board on the internet to know what's hot in Hip-hop imma go to a Hip-hop based site. I'll go to a site like Boxden or TheColi. Matter fact I'll make this exact same thread on one of those sites and post the link so we can determine which city wins in this argument. Naming other Northeast posters just tells me that Millyz has a stronger fanbase in Northeast. But that man aint a household name outside of that region. I doubt he's barely a household name outside of New England.

And btw, is Black Bostonian's really that outdated and disconnected from the bulk of Black America? The chitlin circuit? Do yall even know the meaning of the term? Btw, Mo3 has done the same media runs as Millyz. Is Sway the Chitilin circuit? Is Vladtv the chitilin circuit? Regardless NUMBER don't lie.

Boston is efficient in what again? Having rappers exist? Ask the average Hip-hop head what they think of Boston and Hip-hop will be the last thing to come to mind. You know most people are not checking or talking about Boston as a Hip-hop mecca. BTW, I just ran across this Bootleg Kev interview with Millyz and even Kev says Boston has never had a movement on the mainstream scene. Also what's even funnier is Millyz doesn't rep Boston. He represents Cambridge. Yeah I know it's apart of the metro but he went out of his way to say he's not from Boston. So if we're including METRO than adding Fort Worth and the entire metroplex with the Dallas side than DFW as a whole would easily eclipse Boston.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFpzkqKMOdc

3) Dallas has 3 times as many Black people as Boston but yet it's a 4 hour and 30 min drive from the birthplace of hip-hop yet still hasn't had an impact in mainstream hip-hop as a legitimate scene.

And Boston has a greater legacy? Nobody is checking for Boston. This is why yall are crying about people stereotyping Boston. If yall had such a legacy than people would not associate Boston with those stereotypes.

And how you bring up a Boston base record label than mention 2 New York rappers. Again proving my point. When you gone get off NEW YORK and focus on Boston? Now ask me what Boston rapper blew up from Amalgam?

And how am I discrediting Boston's contributions to Black culture? You sit up here and named Markey DAMN MARK and Millyz. That's Black culture? Benzino is biracial and Dave Mayes who is WHITE. LMAO please don't embarrass the culture like that again. Plus we talking strictly hip-hop. Get out your feelings. I know Bostonians are sensitive on City Data that's why yall always taking over threads on here to overcompensate for the insecurities.

I'm from Texas but I'm not from Dallas. I don't have a dog in the fight. I don't even like most of the Dallas artist I listed and I really don't care for most of the Boston rappers you listed too. Out of all the names mention The D.O.C. is my favorite artist followed by Guru. I give Term his props and Joyner Lucas can rap(not the biggest fan but he's not bad). But I'm not about to deny Dallas or DFW as a whole impact on hip-hop when compared to Boston. It's bigger.

Old 03-24-2022, 02:12 PM

Bro I don’t care this much- because I already know I’m right. Dallas isn’t up on Boston in hip hop and I really don’t care . you wanna get your anti Boston jibber jabber off go head. Dallas underperforms that’s all I’ll say to you. Post was TL;DR.

Old 03-24-2022, 02:13 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,638,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
This isn't a group. Again, this is one of the most iconic songs in hip hop but it came out more than 30 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiPbeIXZpD4
Exactly and he wanna talk about hip-hop. I was a 80s baby/90s kid. Been in the entertainment industry behind the scenes in Atlanta and been to different cities and music festivals all over this country. Boston has improved but it's not popping like how he's reaching on here. That's not me discounting btw, that's me being realistic.

Old 03-24-2022, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
1) Let's get one thing straight, outside of Free there is nothing Boston about 106 and park. 106 and park was located in HARLEM,NY. And the name itself is based off 106th street and park avenue. See the fact you're trying to cling on to New York's identity reminds me of that Eminem line when he ****ted on Benzino.

2) Are we really using CITY DATA to measure what's hot in Hip-hop? LMAOOOO City Data is where you go to to find out what's popping in Hip-Hop. If Imma go to any message board on the internet to know what's hot in Hip-hop imma go to a Hip-hop based site. I'll go to a site like Boxden or TheColi. Matter fact I'll make this exact same thread on one of those sites and post the link so we can determine which city wins in this argument. Naming other Northeast posters just tells me that Millyz has a stronger fanbase in Northeast. But that man aint a household name outside of that region. I doubt he's barely a household name outside of New England.

And btw, is Black Bostonian's really that outdated and disconnected from the bulk of Black America? The chitlin circuit? Do yall even know the meaning of the term? Btw, Mo3 has done the same media runs as Millyz. Is Sway the Chitilin circuit? Is Vladtv the chitilin circuit? Regardless NUMBER don't lie.

Boston is efficient in what again? Having rappers exist? Ask the average Hip-hop head what they think of Boston and Hip-hop will be the last thing to come to mind. You know most people are not checking or talking about Boston as a Hip-hop mecca. BTW, I just ran across this Bootleg Kev interview with Millyz and even Kev says Boston has never had a movement on the mainstream scene. Also what's even funnier is Millyz doesn't rep Boston. He represents Cambridge. Yeah I know it's apart of the metro but he went out of his way to say he's not from Boston. So if we're including METRO than adding Fort Worth and the entire metroplex with the Dallas side than DFW as a whole would easily eclipse Boston.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFpzkqKMOdc

3) Dallas has 3 times as many Black people as Boston but yet it's a 4 hour and 30 min drive from the birthplace of hip-hop yet still hasn't had an impact in mainstream hip-hop as a legitimate scene.

And Boston has a greater legacy? Nobody is checking for Boston. This is why yall are crying about people stereotyping Boston. If yall had such a legacy than people would not associate Boston with those stereotypes.

And how you bring up a Boston base record label than mention 2 New York rappers. Again proving my point. When you gone get off NEW YORK and focus on Boston? Now ask me what Boston rapper blew up from Amalgam?

And how am I discrediting Boston's contributions to Black culture? You sit up here and named Markey DAMN MARK and Millyz. That's Black culture? Benzino is biracial and Dave Mayes who is WHITE. LMAO please don't embarrass the culture like that again. Plus we talking strictly hip-hop. Get out your feelings. I know Bostonians are sensitive on City Data that's why yall always taking over threads on here to overcompensate for the insecurities.

I'm from Texas but I'm not from Dallas. I don't have a dog in the fight. I don't even like most of the Dallas artist I listed and I really don't care for most of the Boston rappers you listed too. Out of all the names mention The D.O.C. is my favorite artist followed by Guru. I give Term his props and Joyner Lucas can rap(not the biggest fan but he's not bad). But I'm not about to deny Dallas or DFW as a whole impact on hip-hop when compared to Boston. It's bigger.
You just chattin'. You know what is meant by chitlin' circuit. Can MO3 book a show in the UK? He's not even from Dallas proper either, so don't even start that argument. Or we can turn this into the whole "Not Atlanta" deal. There's at least 3 from the Boston area that can. Most Black Americans live in the South so of course an artist like MO3 is going to do huge numbers. What songs does he have with A-List rappers? Millyz, Joyner Lucas, Bia all have joints with top tier rappers.

The Boston-area is more efficient because it has LESS black people than the DFW area while producing a similar or greater output. Nobody is checking for Boston but here you are, writing a whole thesis being emotional. You not even from Dallas, you from Houston. Typical, the rest of black America can take shots at Boston when y'll do decide to give us a little attention, and if we defend, we're insecure, coons, etc. Y'll want it to be one way.

What does NYC being 4-hours away have to do with Boston? We're in a totally different region of the East Coast. Not to mention, NYC doesn't even f*** with Boston like that, which makes it even harder for us to pop. And we still produce.

Old 03-24-2022, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperechelon View Post
You just chattin'. You know what is meant by chitlin' circuit. Can MO3 book a show in the UK? He's not even from Dallas proper either, so don't even start that argument. Or we can turn this into the whole "Not Atlanta" deal. There's at least 3 from the Boston area that can. Most Black Americans live in the South so of course an artist like MO3 is going to do huge numbers. What songs does he have with A-List rappers? Millyz, Joyner Lucas, Bia all have joints with top tier rappers.

The Boston-area is more efficient because it has LESS black people than the DFW area while producing a similar or greater output. Nobody is checking for Boston but here you are, writing a whole thesis being emotional. You not even from Dallas, you from Houston. Typical, the rest of black America can take shots at Boston when y'll do decide to give us a little attention, and if we defend, we're insecure, coons, etc. Y'll want it to be one way.

What does NYC being 4-hours away have to do with Boston? We're in a totally different region of the East Coast. Not to mention, NYC doesn't even f*** with Boston like that, which makes it even harder for us to pop. And we still produce.
Boston area black people and urban people really CARE about quality hip hop and want to feed into the scene. Discuss the scene. Beyond achievements, sales, accolades. The actual scene in the ground matters to. In which case Dallas has a club advantage. But hip hop has been a part of Boston inner city culture from very early on. There’s so many group- you ever heard of the Street Poets?. From back in the mid 90s

Anyway here’s a post from the last thread.

QUOTE=BostonBornMassMade;62953883]Token (Salem MA) with J.I.D. 1 M vies in 13 days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1E8mKKl2sI

Token with Tech 9, 22M views:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsLJLCtU32w

Reem Skully a Mattapan Rapper with TSU Surf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPpdgRBJWcA

Chilla Jones a Dorchester Battle Rapper (I went to elementary with him) with Method Man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh0Lulm77Ls

King Brickz dorchester Rapper w/ Styles P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf5z3v0Z82Y

Part of the 2016 BOILER ROOM set in Boston:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qf9DcYHwlE

A write up on NPR of the Boston scene: https://www.npr.org/2020/10/14/92224...ing-for-itself

Other literature on the scene:

Has Boston Become a Hip-Hop Town?

The next Moment of Truth: Challenging Boston’s attitude on rap, artists are eying ways to make more space for hip-hop

"Hip-hop is everywhere in Dorchester. Booming from the subwoofers of passing cars, and leaking from earbuds on Ashmont-bound trains. Irrepressible, it seems to seep up through cracks in the pavement, like splotches of oil under the baking sun. And from 7-10 p.m. on the last Tuesday night of each month, it rattles the walls at Dorchester Art Project’s nascent open mic in Fields Corner.

The monthly showcase is quickly becoming a proving ground for Dorchester’s wealth of artistic talent. A sign-up sheet for the event is posted at 6:30 p.m.; often, it’s full within minutes."

Five Boston Rappers and Their Local Music Recommendations

The Rap Map: Meet 5 Talented Artists From Boston
The Boston hip-hop scene is relatively contained at the moment, but ready to explode on a national level.

Welcome to Boston: Drill[/quote]

Old 03-24-2022, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Boston area black people and urban people really CARE about quality hip hop and want to feed into the scene. Discuss the scene. Beyond achievements, sales, accolades. The actual scene in the ground matters to. In which case Dallas has a club advantage. But hip hop has been a part of Boston inner city culture from very early on. There’s so many group- you ever heard of the Street Poets?.

I'm hip to all them. My father knows Polecat and Trev B. I wanted to mention your first sentence, but was afraid of being labeled "condescending" and "elitist".

Old 03-24-2022, 02:47 PM

Not everyone (here or IRL) is anti- Boston by default, UE. I wouldn’t say that but it’s definitely a general theme…AshbyQuin and MDsfinest know and like good amount of Boston folks like 8zipp.. like I feel you but that certainly hasn’t been my experience uniformly. I’ve met people who know Y Gizzle/Stizz/DtheFlyest. Haven’t had issue with people in NYC or Philly- my personal experience.

But yea I say it in here a lot, son youre prolly not familiar. The treatment/disrespect of Black Bostonians by other black people is way more relevant/prevalent and frustrating than living in Boston to any racism locally- at least in the modern day. The actual QOL is generally nice aside from the price. Stanley 8888 be saying the same thing as you and I…

Head out here yellin in ALL CAPS lmao, yo it’s nuts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City