Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the better hip-hop scene/culture?
Boston 45 51.72%
Dallas 42 48.28%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 02:48 PM

21,806 posts, read 12,992,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperechelon View Post
I'm hip to all them. My father knows Polecat and Trev B. I wanted to mention your first sentence, but was afraid of being labeled "condescending" and "elitist".
Oh you’re legit Boston Boston! I liked them and their music was perfect for SQUEEZE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2022, 02:54 PM

119 posts, read 38,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Not everyone (here or IRL) is anti- Boston by default, UE. I wouldn’t say that but it’s definitely a general theme…AshbyQuin and MDsfinest know and like good amount of Boston folks like 8zipp.. like I feel you but that certainly hasn’t been my experience uniformly. I’ve met people who know Y Gizzle/Stizz/DtheFlyest. Haven’t had issue with people in NYC or Philly- my personal experience.

But yea I say it in here a lot, son youre prolly not familiar. The treatment/disrespect of Black Bostonians by other black people is way more relevant/prevalent and frustrating than living in Boston to any racism locally- at least in the modern day. The actual QOL is generally nice aside from the price. Stanley 8888 be saying the same thing as you and I…
LMAOOO. dawg, you worded it perfectly. In 2022, the disrespect by black America is actually worse than actually dealing with Boston's racism.

Okay, maybe not every single NY'er is on some F*** Boston ish, but it's definitely a solid number. Why do we have to suffer for how white Bostonians stained the city? Nah, I gotta talk back greasy. You wouldn't believe the amount of disrespect I see daily, and then we get labeled insecure? Man, hell naw.

Old 03-24-2022, 02:57 PM

Quote:
LMAOOO. dawg, you worded it perfectly. In 2022, the disrespect by black America is actually worse than actually dealing with Boston's racism.

Okay, maybe not every single NY'er is on some F*** Boston ish, but it's definitely a solid number. Why do we have to suffer for how white Bostonians stained the city? Nah, I gotta talk back greasy. You wouldn't believe the amount of disrespect I see daily, and then we get labeled insecure? Man, hell naw.
yo… it’s 3/4 posters I can think of that when they see this post? gonna try to flame you. They think I’m lying when I say this… someone else made a thread in “is it cool to hate on Boston?” Cause me and a different poster kinda felt like it was

Old 03-24-2022, 03:01 PM

Quote:

The author of this is a black woman from Kansas City who started a column on black culture in Boston at the Boston Globe.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/12/...stonian-proud/

People used to say Jae’da Turner was stuck in Boston.

Because Black folk from outside of the city often see it as a place to pass through but not plant roots. Those people are not from here.

Turner isn’t trapped. She’s at home.

“Having to defend Boston is a real sport,” Turner says. “As a student at Northeastern, people coming from New York, California, and all across the country, I think they honestly love to hate Boston. It’s like a little club. It’s not cool if you say you’re from Boston.”

My brother dealt with this even at grad school in Harvard. This is why certain record labels discourage Boston rappers from saying the word “Boston” it’s a whole thing

Old 03-24-2022, 03:05 PM

119 posts, read 38,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
yo… it’s 3/4 posters I can think of that when they see this post? gonna try to flame you. They think I’m lying when I say this… someone else made a thread in “is it cool to hate on Boston?” Cause me and a different poster kinda felt like it was
Fam, this dude said he went to ATL and got jumped for claiming Boston. You think if a white Bostonian went down South? Black folk down there would jump him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu6IldX9urE

Old 03-24-2022, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Fam, this dude said he went to ATL and got jumped for claiming Boston. You think if a white Bostonian went down South? Black folk down there would jump him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu6IldX9urE
Nope.

Old 03-24-2022, 03:20 PM

2,239 posts, read 1,140,827 times
Boston was there in Hip-hop's infancy in the late 70s early 80's. For that alone I gotta go with Boston.

Old 03-24-2022, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Boston was there in Hip-hop's infancy in the late 70s early 80's. For that alone I gotta go with Boston.
This is a fact. "

"Among the first prominent Rap music producers beginning in 1979 were Bostonians Arthur Baker, and his fellow Boston Funk All Stars, Maurice Starr and Michael Jonzun of Jonzun Crew. They served as the in-house producers for Tom Silverman’s Tommy Boy Records while running their own labels Streetwise Records and Boston International Records.

These Bostonian beatmakers were so in-demand that at one point, Sylvia Robinson at Sugar Hill Records hired Maurice Starr and Michael Jonzun to produce several crucial records for the label during the early ‘80s. They ultimately used their earnings from Sugar Hill to build the studio they recorded New Edition’s Candy Girl album in, while releasing the first LP on Tommy Boy as Jonzun Crew. Arthur Baker produced countless hits for Tommy Boy, including “Jazzy Sensation”, “Planet Rock”, and “Play At Your Own Risk” for Boston’s own Planet Patrol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXPpng1dQag

Old 03-24-2022, 07:57 PM

2,758 posts, read 2,446,202 times
I'd say Boston because I cannot name anything/anyone out of Dallas except for a few songs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I agree with all except NJ. First it’s hard to compare cities to states but their impact is big enough to at least given credit and they have some elites and all time greats.
NJ definitely has legends. I think people forget that the NJ hip hop scene is essentially apart of NYC's. Even separating the two, NJ is very solid as far as output. Not many cities or even states have produced the talent and fame that East Orange alone (a city of less than 70k) has.

Old 03-24-2022, 07:59 PM

2,758 posts, read 2,446,202 times
Quote:
When somebody from Jersey pops, the whole state feels involved. .
lol huh who told you this lol?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City