Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city has more of an identity, Tein Cities or St. Louis
Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota 8 10.96%
St. Louis, Missouri 65 89.04%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2022, 01:24 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,994,800 times

Advertisements

Obviously St. Louis has more of an identity - the city has a great history. However, Minneapolis - St. Paul is no slouch and St. Louis has been in the Twin Cities' rear-view for three or four decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2022, 02:52 PM

1,359 posts, read 909,975 times
Yeah, I think few people would argue that the Twin Cities are economically behind St Louis (it simply isn't true) but that's not really what the thread is about.

There's a quality to much of that area that isn't particularly distinct and you feel like you could kinda be anywhere in the US at times. It's getting less that way, and there's more embrace of what makes that area unique, but you just don't have quite the confluence of history, influence, etc that exists in St Louis.

Old 03-29-2022, 03:25 PM

2,386 posts, read 1,878,590 times
Didn't expect twin cities to get slaughtered like this. I get that it does hav more identity but idk STL and Missouri in general are really unappealing to me

Old 03-30-2022, 07:20 AM

1,359 posts, read 909,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Didn't expect twin cities to get slaughtered like this. I get that it does hav more identity but idk STL and Missouri in general are really unappealing to me
The question isn't what's nicer, it's what has more of an identity.

I think everyone would agree that Minneapolis/St Paul is in better shape, but it's almost inarguably more generic.

Old 03-30-2022, 08:45 AM

23,676 posts, read 24,237,517 times
St Louis

Old 03-30-2022, 09:09 AM

1,272 posts, read 2,190,365 times
If St. Louis was a half way functional region it would be insanely expensive overnight. I could see it being something like Nashville but with an urban appeal.

Old 03-30-2022, 10:50 AM

2,874 posts, read 2,843,922 times
Both have strong identities but STL has it more. The lopsided margin makes it seem like a bigger win for STL than in reality.

Old 03-30-2022, 11:00 AM

7,108 posts, read 9,014,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
If St. Louis was a half way functional region it would be insanely expensive overnight. I could see it being something like Nashville but with an urban appeal.
I would hope St Louis never aspires to be Nashville or like anything in Tennessee.

It will take a while for costs to skyrocket with the housing stock in St Louis.

There has to be a city county merger of some sort. Things won't survive without it. I don't think it would be like Nashville Davidson but possibly a borough system like NYC.

The identity thing is one of the things I love about St Louis. If St Louis was expensive or a smaller msa I don't think I would want to live here.

Old 03-30-2022, 11:04 AM

2,874 posts, read 2,843,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I would hope St Louis never aspires to be Nashville or like anything in Tennessee.

It will take a while for costs to skyrocket with the housing stock in St Louis.

There has to be a city county merger of some sort. Things won't survive without it. I don't think it would be like Nashville Davidson but possibly a borough system like NYC.

The identity thing is one of the things I love about St Louis. If St Louis was expensive or a smaller msa I don't think I would want to live here.
Saint Louis County is also entering decline (its population peaked 22 years ago), and a lot of the chaos of Saint Louis city is increasingly an issue in the County (lest we forget the infamous Ferguson is in STL County).

It's to the point where richer residents now move from STL County to Saint Charles County (which is the new STL County).

I don't think amalgamation will do much. What STL needs is competent leadership and to tackle its third world homicide rates. Unfortunately the city is extremely ideological and elects red meat politicians who have good rhetoric but are **** poor city managers. Cori Bush (House Representative), Tishaura Jones (Mayor), and Kim Gardner (DA) are all disasters and come from the old tradition of blaming everything on the State Government and Saint Louis County. There's a kernel of truth to those claims (Jefferson City and the State GOP loathes Saint Louis), but the real problem in STL is self-inflicted (this is the short-sighted city, after all, that voluntarily demolished much of its extremely beautiful historic core).

Old 03-30-2022, 12:36 PM

7,108 posts, read 9,014,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Saint Louis County is also entering decline (its population peaked 22 years ago), and a lot of the chaos of Saint Louis city is increasingly an issue in the County (lest we forget the infamous Ferguson is in STL County).

It's to the point where richer residents now move from STL County to Saint Charles County (which is the new STL County).

I don't think amalgamation will do much. What STL needs is competent leadership and to tackle its third world homicide rates. Unfortunately the city is extremely ideological and elects red meat politicians who have good rhetoric but are **** poor city managers. Cori Bush (House Representative), Tishaura Jones (Mayor), and Kim Gardner (DA) are all disasters and come from the old tradition of blaming everything on the State Government and Saint Louis County. There's a kernel of truth to those claims (Jefferson City and the State GOP loathes Saint Louis), but the real problem in STL is self-inflicted (this is the short-sighted city, after all, that voluntarily demolished much of its extremely beautiful historic core).
There is so much wrong with what you have written but I will save the debate for a different thread. Perhaps political or local. If you start it, I will join in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City