Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2022, 10:48 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,108,506 times

Advertisements

I'm going to sue your ass for harassing me online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2022, 10:48 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
Vancouver with the possible exception of weather.

Old 04-07-2022, 11:04 AM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Uhm what's going on with the SHSA posts?

Old 04-07-2022, 11:13 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,108,506 times
I was told SSP Canadian forumers harassing me thus these type of threads that are ridiculous.

Old 04-07-2022, 11:27 AM

676 posts, read 647,413 times
Weather - San Antonio for now, Vancouver in the future after climate change has had its way
Economy - Vancouver, has the slightly bigger economy now and should have the edge in investment going forward
Entertainment/things to do - Subjective, SA has more entertainment within car access, Vancouver has better nature
Nightlife - Not great in either case
Food - Tossup, depends on whether you prefer Asian/sushi (Vancouver) or Latin American/Tex-Mex (SA)
Natural beauty - Vancouver
Better future - Vancouver
COL - San Antonio now and likely in the future

Vancouver has better QOL now and in the future and is the more significant city but it's not a sweep of the categories and under several circumstances I can see many people preferring SA.

Old 04-07-2022, 12:08 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,409,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Next up: Montreal vs Lubbock
And then we can have an even tighter comparison, Toronto VS Laredo

Old 04-07-2022, 12:11 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
This is like somebody throwing a basketball at the back of The Rock's head and he turns around and says who threw that and you point to the small frail innocent bystander that hasn't a chance in the world to defend himself. San Antonio is this nerd. This was clearly a set up thread LMAO

Old 04-07-2022, 12:41 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,245,760 times
Average home price Vancouver BC: $1.274 million
San Antonio: $351,226

And that does not reflect the cost per square foot. A much higher percentage of Vancouver residents live in condos. Add the higher Canadian taxes to that.

If you are wealthy enough to buy the best of what Vancouver offers and don't mind dark, rainy days 4 to 5 months a year then Vancouver wins. Otherwise enjoy your shoebox size apartment and riding the bus.

For the average family looking for an affordable house in a major metro area with the usual urban amenities (big airport, hospitals, university, parks, museums, shopping, dining etc) you can have all that in San Antonio and have enough money left over to visit Vancouver during its 3 or 4 months of nice weather.

Old 04-07-2022, 01:00 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times
Higher taxes but they pay for more. I'd rather have Canadian healthcare.

In any decent city, riding the bus (or Vancouver's pretty good train system) is a perk, not a problem.

Old 04-07-2022, 01:24 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
Entertainment/things to do - Subjective, SA has more entertainment within car access, Vancouver has better nature
Nightlife - Not great in either case
Vancouver has Granville Island, Stanley Park (top 3 urban park in North America) with too many things to list, world class aquarium and science center, much better museums, a large, super-walkable downtown, Gastown Historic Walking Food Tour, Seaplane rides, Capilano Suspension Bridge, the Aquabus, VanDusen Botanical Gardens, Sunset Dinner Cruises, much more interesting urban neighborhoods, etc. etc.

I don't see how you can say SA has more entertainment. It's not even close. Vancouver wins in a landslide.

As for nightlife, agreed that neither are great given what you would expect. Being Canada's largest Western city and having an urban, cosmopolitan vibe you would expect more from Vancouver's nightlife. It reminds me of Boston in that regard.

Overall, though, apples to apples, I still think it's better than SA. Granville has a bunch of clubs, Gastown and Yaletown have a ton of bars and restaurants, and the much more urban, walkable nature of Vancouver means the neighborhood bars are more accessible. Much of SA's nightlife is concentrated near the Riverwalk and it's very touristy. Outside of that central area, it just feels sparse. Again, neither is great, but Vancouver still takes it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City