Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best for young professionals in 2022
Charlotte 26 23.21%
Dallas 53 47.32%
Miami 33 29.46%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2022, 05:32 PM

402 posts, read 369,317 times

Advertisements

Which city would you suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2022, 05:37 PM

836 posts, read 851,866 times
I've selected for Miami simply because there's a lot to do in Miami as opposed to Dallas, which is a major corporate center, and Charlotte, which is a major banking center. I also believe that Miami, like NYC, SF, LA, and Chicago are the only cities which can promote themselves effortlessly in comparison to other American cities It's also an Alpha+ city and while the GaWC ranking for 2020 dropped it down to Beta+, I believe it's going to come right back up to Alpha+ once the American economy fully opens up alongside LA and Chicago.

Old 04-13-2022, 05:42 PM

10,058 posts, read 14,425,999 times
I'd suggest Dallas, out of these 3 options.

Miami's scene is a blast, but job-wise, I feel like most of the better paying ones will be in Dallas or Charlotte, for a young white collar professional. Depends on the sector, but I know from experience Miami's salaries are overall lower than most cities its size.

Dallas/Ft Worth, at a metro population approaching 8 million and growing fast, gives a young professional tons of options.

Charlotte is great too, but much smaller than Dallas or Miami, and less options to do in general, so I'd rank it 3rd.

So I'd go--

3 Charlotte
2 Miami
1 Dallas-Ft Worth

Old 04-15-2022, 08:38 PM

402 posts, read 369,317 times
Vote is practically split across all 3

Old 04-16-2022, 09:14 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Dallas wins for young professionals.

Old 04-17-2022, 01:09 AM

19 posts, read 14,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
I've selected for Miami simply because there's a lot to do in Miami as opposed to Dallas, which is a major corporate center, and Charlotte, which is a major banking center. I also believe that Miami, like NYC, SF, LA, and Chicago are the only cities which can promote themselves effortlessly in comparison to other American cities It's also an Alpha+ city and while the GaWC ranking for 2020 dropped it down to Beta+, I believe it's going to come right back up to Alpha+ once the American economy fully opens up alongside LA and Chicago.
A lot to do but for a young professional, your career isnt gonna go very far in Miami. If you mean just "young" ,then sure ,Miami is the place but a young professional who is interested in moving up would overlook Miami if he had a choice between Dallas and Charlotte.
BtW ,Charlotte is a banking center but it also is more than that. It has a lot more corporate headquarters than banking.
Perhaps if it were a young person who was fluent in Spanish and had ties to Latin America or even the Caribbean,that to could be a draw for Miami

Old 04-17-2022, 03:13 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
For young professionals looking for opportunities I would go for Dallas. There are 23 f500 companies in the metropolitan that would smash Charlotte and Miami put together. That can mean a lot of resources to tap in to and options for a young professionals to build a life. The pay in Dallas is better than Charlotte and Miami but the cost of living is lower.

If you have already built your career and are in to the advanced stages of it and is looking for a liberating lifestyle with fantastic weather, choose Miami.

Since you said young professional, Dallas is it.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 04-17-2022 at 03:22 AM..

Old 04-17-2022, 04:24 AM

19 posts, read 14,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
For young professionals looking for opportunities I would go for Dallas. There are 23 f500 companies in the metropolitan that would smash Charlotte and Miami put together. That can mean a lot of resources to tap in to and options for a young professionals to build a life. The pay in Dallas is better than Charlotte and Miami but the cost of living is lower.

If you have already built your career and are in to the advanced stages of it and is looking for a liberating lifestyle with fantastic weather, choose Miami.

Since you said young professional, Dallas is it.
How is the cost of living lower in Dallas than Charlotte? The pay is only marginally better in Dallas as well but I will say Miami notoriously has lower salaries despite it being a top 10 metro

Old 04-17-2022, 07:23 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Full View Post
How is the cost of living lower in Dallas than Charlotte? The pay is only marginally better in Dallas as well but I will say Miami notoriously has lower salaries despite it being a top 10 metro
Below is my source. You have to consider North Carolina has an atrocious payroll tax alone. Texas doesn't have a state tax. That makes a huge difference comparing the two.

https://www.salary.com/research/cost...x/charlotte-nc

Moving from Dallas on a salary of $62k to Charlotte is taking a 1.4% paycut but due to the cost of living change that would be a $3500 paycut.

Old 04-18-2022, 07:58 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,354,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
And yet with all that promotion, Dallas-Fort Worth, as you is a major corporate center which Miami is not. Miami is by FAR dependent on tourism and retires. If DFW were sunk and if Miami were sunk, America would be much less well off losing DFW than South Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City