Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2022, 05:38 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,820,228 times

Advertisements

Why did you pick these CDPs? They seem a bit random.

First, this "South Prince George's" isn't even contiguous. It's split in half by Andrews Air Force Base and Melwood. It would be an oddly shaped city (even moreso than the pockmarked South Fulton boundaries).

Second, it's a wide linear swathe that goes from National Harbor (lots of entertainment, Capital Wheel, outdoor events, nightlife) to Clinton (sleepy suburbs) to ghetto to mild gentrified areas. It's hard to make a good characterization of such a varied area.

Third, when you said "South Prince George's", I was thinking Baden, Aquasco, Accokeek, Croom, Brandywine, etc. I think that might be a better barometer since South Fulton is extremely low density (1,200 per square mile). Part of your 'South Prince George's' is similar, but then you also have places like Largo which have 3.5x the density.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2022, 06:40 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Think? It's an actual city and a not a description for Southwest Atlanta or the Tri-Cities. it's basically everything in South Fulton that wasn't Palmetto, Fairburn, or Union City before.
I'd say that's precisely why it's not really thought of as an actual city.

Old 04-15-2022, 07:17 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdawg View Post
Sounds like South Fulton isn’t just the “blackest city in America”, but also the most intentionally racist. I prefer cities that apply policies which impact all people equally, and address issues we all face. Black, white, gay, hetero, male, female, transgendered. I personally believe we all have more in common and face more issues together than not. This guy sounds like a radical racist and I bet, as a white person, the environment there would be far more hostile and confrontational to someone like me than anything a person of his persuasion would face ANYWHERE in the US today.
Sad, because it’s such a beautiful area scenically.
This has got to be the dumbest comment I’ve ever seen on this website.

Old 04-15-2022, 07:37 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Embarrassing honestly.

Old 04-16-2022, 06:31 AM

202 posts, read 250,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Cool. Give a counter-argument.
I come from Detroit. Several decades of obsession over being a “black city” and racial identity hasn’t exactly helped the city thrive. The separatism and race bias that started in the 70s ruined the city. Half the city is a ghost town as a result.
Southfield is 75 percent black but the residents and leaders never obsessed over race.
As a result, the suburb is thriving.
Detroit’s demise is a cautionary tale of what happens when race takes center stage of city focus. And there is definitely still an element of “I hate white people” there.
I had black colleagues admit to me that I should stay out of certain areas because the racism was too strong.
Tell me where I am wrong.

Old 04-16-2022, 07:41 PM

562 posts, read 1,126,688 times
Actually, DeKalb County, GA would be a better comparison to Prince George’s County, MD than South Fulton, GA is!!

Old 04-17-2022, 08:21 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS86 View Post
Actually, DeKalb County, GA would be a better comparison to Prince George’s County, MD than South Fulton, GA is!!
Bingo. They are so alike it's actually kind of scary. However, this is the case pretty much everything in the DC area in comparison. There are a lot more similarities than people want to admit on this Forum for some strange reason but that are hard to miss in person.

Old 04-17-2022, 10:11 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS86 View Post
Only southern PG County (outside the Beltway and south of US 50) is being considered in this comparison, not the entire county.

Old 04-17-2022, 10:52 PM

19 posts, read 14,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdawg View Post
Cool. Give a counter-argument.
I come from Detroit. Several decades of obsession over being a “black city” and racial identity hasn’t exactly helped the city thrive. The separatism and race bias that started in the 70s ruined the city. Half the city is a ghost town as a result.
Southfield is 75 percent black but the residents and leaders never obsessed over race.
As a result, the suburb is thriving.
Detroit’s demise is a cautionary tale of what happens when race takes center stage of city focus. And there is definitely still an element of “I hate white people” there.
I had black colleagues admit to me that I should stay out of certain areas because the racism was too strong.
Tell me where I am wrong.
I get what you are saying and your concern is valid but you are forgetting some very important details that made the City of SF what it is demographically.
Actually what ruined Detroit was disinvestment of white fleeing integration. Identifying as a black city came after.
South Fulton doesnt have the history as it wasnt even a city until recently. The population was an existing population that became what it is because blacks were getting pushed out of the desirable affordable areas of the city of Atlanta as it becomes more unaffordable.
Its a known fact that whites avoid areas that are majority black even if they are nice. The city as it is I think over 91% black. Is it racist to state the obvious?

Southfield at one time was majority white. It has lost white residents for decades while blacks moved in, Surprising as that it happened even though it was never called the whitest city in America. hmm
Side by side comparison, Southfield MI is less affluent than South Fulton. Southfield also has a significant Middle Eastern population. These cities are not the same

There are problems in the black community that are unique and systemic. Addressing those issues does help the larger community as everyone has more of an equal chance with less tension

I will say that they indeed need to be sure that they welcome all who want to come no matter what race but acknowledging the obvious shouldnt scare anyone away unless they dont wish to be in a majority black city.
Doesnt seem to have been a problem with blacks when you consider how many blacks have moved in clearly majority white cities

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...sota/POP010210

Old 04-18-2022, 05:38 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Why did you pick these CDPs? They seem a bit random.

First, this "South Prince George's" isn't even contiguous. It's split in half by Andrews Air Force Base and Melwood. It would be an oddly shaped city (even moreso than the pockmarked South Fulton boundaries).

Second, it's a wide linear swathe that goes from National Harbor (lots of entertainment, Capital Wheel, outdoor events, nightlife) to Clinton (sleepy suburbs) to ghetto to mild gentrified areas. It's hard to make a good characterization of such a varied area.

Third, when you said "South Prince George's", I was thinking Baden, Aquasco, Accokeek, Croom, Brandywine, etc. I think that might be a better barometer since South Fulton is extremely low density (1,200 per square mile). Part of your 'South Prince George's' is similar, but then you also have places like Largo which have 3.5x the density.
Agreed with this, although Largo is "Central" PG not "South". I guess if 214/Central Ave is considered the midway point it's literally on the border of North/South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City