Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2022, 06:07 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Only southern PG County (outside the Beltway and south of US 50) is being considered in this comparison, not the entire county.
I’d consider Southern Prince George’s anything south of Pennsylvania Ave/Route4/Suitland Parkway.

North of that and south of 50 is Central Prince George’s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2022, 08:34 AM

64 posts, read 59,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I’d consider Southern Prince George’s anything south of Pennsylvania Ave/Route4/Suitland Parkway.

North of that and south of 50 is Central Prince George’s.
I think this is true currently. Historically, everything south of Central Avenue was what we called south county, not southern Prince George's. But Kettering and Largo had always been considered the middle, probably because they were built off of 202 Landover Road. "Central PG" is a relatively new term. It was either north county, south county, inside the beltway or outside the beltway. I will say to this day, the north side and the south side of Central Avenue, inside the beltway, are very different from each other. Even the school boundaries back in the day separated those border communities. I'm not sure if that is still the case.

Old 04-18-2022, 08:45 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,419,379 times
Largo, Kettering, and Mitchellville are definitely not southern Prince George's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
These are very interesting

I'm not familiar with South Fulton but I do think the Blue Line Corridor plan in Prince George's can absolutely work

Old 04-18-2022, 08:50 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IVmyman View Post
I think this is true currently. Historically, everything south of Central Avenue was what we called south county, not southern Prince George's. But Kettering and Largo had always been considered the middle, probably because they were built off of 202 Landover Road. "Central PG" is a relatively new term. It was either north county, south county, inside the beltway or outside the beltway. I will say to this day, the north side and the south side of Central Avenue, inside the beltway, are very different from each other. Even the school boundaries back in the day separated those border communities. I'm not sure if that is still the case.
Yea I’ve heard this before. And it makes sense what you’re saying: But as a newcomer to PG in 2017, central PG and Southern PG are different even though demography is very similar.

South PG has a more rural vibe and seems more southern and a bit more a historical than Central PG which seems more retail heavy, more dense and more talked about.

Old 04-18-2022, 10:43 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Why did you pick these CDPs? They seem a bit random.

First, this "South Prince George's" isn't even contiguous. It's split in half by Andrews Air Force Base and Melwood. It would be an oddly shaped city (even moreso than the pockmarked South Fulton boundaries).

Second, it's a wide linear swathe that goes from National Harbor (lots of entertainment, Capital Wheel, outdoor events, nightlife) to Clinton (sleepy suburbs) to ghetto to mild gentrified areas. It's hard to make a good characterization of such a varied area.

Third, when you said "South Prince George's", I was thinking Baden, Aquasco, Accokeek, Croom, Brandywine, etc. I think that might be a better barometer since South Fulton is extremely low density (1,200 per square mile). Part of your 'South Prince George's' is similar, but then you also have places like Largo which have 3.5x the density.

This statement is very confusing. Do you know how many cities in America have wealthy areas, vibrant areas, residential area, rural areas, and high crime areas?

Did you read the criteria?

Please compare these areas using the following criteria:

-Diversity of Homeownership Options (Affordable Options, Middle Class Options, Luxury Options)

-Diversity of Renter Options (Affordable Options, Middle Class Options, Luxury Options)

-Diversity of Homeownership Types (Mixed-use urban development, Walkable Communities, Large Estates)

-Diversity of Retail Options (Suburban Shopping Center Retail, Urban Walkable Retail)

-Diversity of Restaurants Options

-Diversity of Entertainment Options

-Transit Availability (Transit Options)

-Planned Development Opportunities (Future Plans)

-Grocery Store Shopping Options (Grocery Store Accessibility)

-Educational Attainment (Within the Comparison Footprint)

-Job Opportunities (Within the Comparison Footprint)

-Economic Prosperity (Economic Health of the Population)

Andrew's Airforce Base does not divide Prince George's County in half by the way.

Andrew's Airforce Base Boundaries

Prince George's County is already a weird shape now with DC cut out of it. The future city in Prince George's County would be a similar boomerang shape.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 04-18-2022 at 10:52 AM..

Old 04-18-2022, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Only someone who was not born and raised in this area says Central PG. Nobody grew up in the DC area saying that. We also didn't say DMV. It was DC, MD, and Virginia. People living in DC definitely don't say the DMV.

Honestly, I only referred to it as southern PG county because I was implying it could be incorporated to make a city like South Fulton. That is what the entire thread is about. It was not about including every community.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 04-18-2022 at 11:01 AM..

Old 04-18-2022, 10:51 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
There is no "term" that is widely use by people. I said "Central PG" as a point of geographic reference to state that Largo is not "South Prince George's". Largo, Kettering, Mitchellville, Bowie the Central Ave/214 area and up, are in the northern half of the county. That's the mid point of PG County and "central" to the county's bearings, but it's the northern half.

Old 04-18-2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Wheres Temple Hills, MD?

And why is South Fulton such a gerry-mandered city?

^Just curious. I've never been to that area in Georgia so I won't have anything to say.
Temple Hills is too far north to be included tucked next to Andrew's Airforce Base. The point was to make a boomerang shaped city similar to Prince George's County versus a U-shaped city if Temple Hills was included.

Old 04-18-2022, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
There is no "term" that is widely use by people. I said "Central PG" as a point of geographic reference to state that Largo is not "South Prince George's". Largo, Kettering, Mitchellville, Bowie the Central Ave/214 area and up, are in the northern half of the county. That's the mid point of PG County and "central" to the county's bearings, but it's the northern half.
I think people as missing the point of the thread. The point was about these areas incorporating making their own city. It was not about north, south, or central PG county. The name used to describe the area isn't really important and you aren't wrong in saying Largo is not south PG.

How do you think this new city would function? The downtown is already going to Largo although I guess maybe they should call it uptown?

Old 04-18-2022, 11:15 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,698,572 times
I can tell you as an ATL metro resident, S fulton still isn't really a recognized area/city. I understand that technically it is, but practically no one refers to it that way. If you hear S fulton, people assume you are talking about the southern end of Fulton county (as opposed to the northern end). The two ends of the country are fairly different in terms of job opportunities and prosperity in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City