Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better based on post criteria
Mexico City 40 63.49%
Vancouver BC 23 36.51%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2022, 10:25 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
Fwiw, I agree with you. Mexico City is severely underestimated and underrated. The reason I made this poll is because Vancouver is frequently said to be the best city in North America and I was curious to see how it would fare pound for pound against North America's largest city. Also, bear in mind Vancouver frequently beats cities in the 6-8 million range on this forum. Mexico City I believe has lost to Chicago and DC.

That said, because of the size difference, to try to even out as much as possible, I made the size-dependent categories (cultural offerings, entertainment, etc...) per capita rather than absolute. Walkability probably could have been taken out.
I hear ya - I dont have an issue with the poll, I just thought it would be more of a blowout for Mexico City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2022, 11:46 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
I hear ya - I dont have an issue with the poll, I just thought it would be more of a blowout for Mexico City.
Considering the criteria listed, I simply don’t see how anyone can vote Vancouver. This isn’t a popularity contest. I can see why many prefer Vancouver (I do.) But based on the OP, Mexico City should clear just about every category, barring one or two.

Old 04-19-2022, 08:04 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
OTH Vancouver, I could live there easily, would have to choose the right area to live in,
as some parts of Vancouver are sketchy....

There isn't much of Vancouver that you could remotely classify as "sketchy". Chinatown is kind of grimy but you're not going to fear for your personal safety walking around at night. By land area, 95% of Vancouver is massively expensive and upscale. Most of the city is single family home residential where even a teardown in an undesirable location costs a few million.

Old 04-19-2022, 03:20 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
There isn't much of Vancouver that you could remotely classify as "sketchy". Chinatown is kind of grimy but you're not going to fear for your personal safety walking around at night. By land area, 95% of Vancouver is massively expensive and upscale. Most of the city is single family home residential where even a teardown in an undesirable location costs a few million.
The Downtown Eastside (East Hastings) is pretty grimy - it's the closest analogue to the SF Tenderloin in Canada that I can think of. But by area it is a very small part of the city and by and large Vancouver is extremely safe and livable (like all major Canadian cities).

Old 04-20-2022, 06:19 AM

2,361 posts, read 1,057,194 times
Quote:
The Downtown Eastside (East Hastings) is pretty grimy - it's the closest analogue to the SF Tenderloin in Canada that I can think of. But by area it is a very small part of the city and by and large Vancouver is extremely safe and livable (like all major Canadian cities).
That's the part of Vancouver I was refering to....as bad as the worst
areas of large american cities. Even much larger Toronto and Montreal
don't have areas that bad.

Old 04-20-2022, 09:13 AM

19 posts, read 14,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
That's the part of Vancouver I was refering to....as bad as the worst
areas of large american cities. Even much larger Toronto and Montreal
don't have areas that bad.
Just curious but what do you think are the reasons behind such a sketchy are in Vancouver.?
American cities with these blight areas became that way from disinvestment from largely racial animus over Civil rights, bussing, etc.
This isnt true about Vancouver.

Old 04-20-2022, 09:26 AM

2,361 posts, read 1,057,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Full View Post
Just curious but what do you think are the reasons behind such a sketchy are in Vancouver.?
American cities with these blight areas became that way from disinvestment from largely racial animus over Civil rights, bussing, etc.
This isnt true about Vancouver.
My guess is that the BC west coast is Canada's "California" ...much milder winter
than the rest of the country....transients flock to it from all over Canada.
And it is the epicenter of hard drugs in Canada...Vancouver has had a heroin
problem for many years...most in the Lower East Side are heroin addicts.

The good news, like others have mentioned, it is a relatively small area that can be easily avoided.

Last edited by GTB365; 04-20-2022 at 09:39 AM..

Old 04-21-2022, 07:30 AM

913 posts, read 559,774 times
While not nearly as mild as coastal southwestern BC, my impression of Halifax NS is also that it gets transients from the interior because it is still milder than there.

Old 04-21-2022, 12:23 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,154,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
They’re simply not comparable on any metric… Mexico City is up there with NYC, London and Tokyo. One might prefer Vancouver (I do) but comparing the two is just strange.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Considering the criteria listed, I simply don’t see how anyone can vote Vancouver. This isn’t a popularity contest. I can see why many prefer Vancouver (I do.) But based on the OP, Mexico City should clear just about every category, barring one or two.
Right! This is the resounding answer in my mind...livability could totally go to Vancouver, having such a highly rated quality of life by so many surveys and rankings. And I personally, 100%, would prefer living in Vancouver since it's one of my highest-rated for personal considerations. But the OP asked about specific metrics that don't include "where would you rather live"

Quote:
The level to which people underestimate Mexico City on this forum is crazy. This isn't remotely close for most of these categories. The only city in NA that beats Mexico City in things like urbanity, walkability, food, cultural offerings is NYC. I know size isn't everything (and Vancouver does punch well above its weight class), but you're comparing the main city in one of the biggest, most vibrant megalopolises in the world to a metro area of under ~3 million.
It's really quite remarkable. We're at the end of a > 1 month stay here in CDMX and my impression has improved. I really think I could live here long term (which I didn't think before). I would still prefer to live in Vancouver though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
Great post. I initially thought parks would go to Vancouver, but admittedly forgot about Chapultepec Park, which definitely tips the scales back over, imo.
Bosque de Chapultepec is insane! We've gone there about 4 times now for various events/destinations all in different sections of the park and...I think I've still only seen 10% of it lol.

Old 04-22-2022, 08:55 AM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
- Urbanity - Easily CDMX. It's incredibly urban over a larger area.

- Walkability - Tough one. CDMX has the more urban environment and on paper should be more walkable, but between different driving habits, pedestrian/car priority, and many, many streets with poor (or zero) pedestrian infrastructure, CDMX is a little more hostile for pedestrians overall. But the most walkable parts of CDMX are better than anything in Vancouver, if that makes sense.

- Food - CDMX by a good margin. There's more Asian influence in Vancouver's scene and there are obviously some local seafood specialties that are unique to Vancouver, but CDMX is easily the city I'd pick to spend a week eating my way through. From street food to some pretty groundbreaking higher end cuisine, it's hard to get tired of the food in Mexico City. It's probably one of the best food destinations on the planet.

- Climate - Mexico City. The elevation makes for near perfect day/night time highs year round. Not necessarily "climate," but earthquakes are problematic (I've experienced two there - and the city is not built to handle them). Still, it's a more pleasant place most of the time climate wise (and I'm a fan of colder climates).

- Scenery - Vancouver by a mile. It's much more tied into its surroundings if that makes sense. You never really lose sight of nature when you're in Vancouver (and nature is stunning in that region). Mexico city on the other hand can feel like a Concrete Jungle. It's very pretty outside of the city (and there are nice pockets within the city), but for day to day life, Vancouver is prettier.

- Recreation / parks - Probably Vancouver. Both have some pretty great ones.

- Cultural offerings (per capita) - Tie or slight edge to Mexico. Really too broad a category definitively say one way or another. Mexico city is older and has a lot more history, so there's much more heritage to experience there. Vancouver is more diverse and has a better representation a wider range of cultures. Mexico gets an edge on institutions like museums, performing arts centers, etc. It's certainly more "different" if you're coming from the U.S. or Canada.

- Architecture - Mexico. It's older and has had more time to develop which means a more vast range of architectural styles. And some of the older landmark structures are extraordinary. But Vancouver wins for modern architecture. At least in terms of widespread implementation of modern architecture (CDMX has gems like Museo Soumaya, Torre Reforma, MUAC, etc. that are arguably better than anything in Vancouver).

- Entertainment (per capita) - Tie I guess. It's a broad topic and both offer a good deal. One advantage I can think of for CDMX is the approachability and affordability of major events. At least in my experience, it seems that major sporting events, shows, etc. aren't as exclusive as they are in the U.S. and Canada. Even adjusted for the per capita income in each place, I think going "out" with a family to a sporting event, concert, show, etc. and buying concessions is more reasonably priced in Mexico City than Vancouver.

- Shopping (per capita) - For the masses - Mexico by a good margin. High end - Vancouver, there's more per capita wealth and that's reflected in the retail environment.

- Future potential - Vancouver. For lack of a better term, it's the more competent city and has a brighter future. Mexico City has come a LONG way, but it's still plagued by major issues.

Overall, mostly because of the last category, I had to go with Vancouver. To live, it's easily Vancouver. To visit, it's easily Mexico.

Last edited by lrfox; 04-22-2022 at 09:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City