Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 06:38 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
In terms of cities, Providence is 44% Latino and has a huge Lusophone and Italian culture. New Haven conversely is plurality Black, with 2x the Black population share. They have very different vibes.

I think Providence is a more unique city with the Rhode Island State Capitol, Federal Hill, Superman Building, RISD Museum, etc.

That said, New Haven is prettier and I think the Beinecke Rare Book Library is probably the top place I'd want to see between them.
Despite the demographic difference the vibe is. Is not very different. I was just in both Providence and new haven. Both have similar little Italy sections with Providence’s being larger but there were many many African Americans there- a surprising amount really.

New Haven and Providence are extremely similar in vibe with Providence being a bit more eclectic and larger. Obviously it has more of a Dominican and Portuguese feel compared to New Haven. But it’s not “very” different. No. I’ve been to these places many times prior to this weekend.

They’re both pretty small, relatively low income, coastal, contain Ivy League schools, minority group mayors, but if an art scene, tied to another large city. It’s not a lot of daylight between the two cities and I don’t think one being 15% black 45% Latino and ones 30% black 30% Latino is a huge difference in the Southern New England context. New Haven is easily the prettier city though-that is a difference.

Also the drive between each of the two cities this Sunday afternoon was 1 hr 34 minutes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2022, 06:57 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,894,337 times
The black and Latino neighborhoods in Providence would not be greatly experienced by an on-foot tourist concentrating on College Hill district including Benefit St (with RISD Museum) and Thayer St. The Providence art scene is definitely NOT "tied to a larger city". https://www.goprovidence.com/article...ut-the-summer/

According to the following link: in terms of violent crime Providence ranks 30.4 and New Haven 51 per 100k

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 04-26-2022 at 10:07 PM..

Old 04-25-2022, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
The black and Latino neighborhoods in Providence would not be greatly experienced by an on-foot tourist concentrating on College Hill district including Benefit St (with RISD Museum) and Thayer St. The Providence art scene is definitely NOT "tied to a larger city". https://www.goprovidence.com/article...ut-the-summer/

According to the following link: in terms of violent crime Providence ranks 30.4 and New Haven 51 per 100k

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
I didn’t mean to say the art scene was tied to a larger city. Not what I meant at all.

Violent crime/crime in New Haven and Prov feels pretty similar. People perception of crime in Prov is way worse than what it is so it affects how people talk about and move about the city tremendously. Go check the RI thread for one example.

Last edited by Yac; 04-26-2022 at 10:07 PM..

Old 04-25-2022, 07:18 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,894,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I didn’t mean to say the art scene was tied to a larger city. Not what I meant at all.

Violent crime/crime in New Haven and Prov feels pretty similar. People perception of crime in Prov is way worse than what it is so it affects how people talk about and move about the city tremendously. Go check the RI thread for one example.
OK, I thought that's what you meant.

We do have a problem with certain people on the RI forum - we call them the "crime reporters" (there are 2)- who post every crime that happens on a minute to minute basis. It's been quite annoying. All cities in the US are dealing with a recent uptick in crime. I think the police have been disheartened and discouraged from doing their jobs due to recent political movements.

However, again, the tourist areas I mentioned are not an issue in terms of crime. No place is crime free, but not enough of an issue here to keep a tourist from coming! I can't speak to New Haven, but I know Providence very well.

Old 04-25-2022, 07:30 AM

Quote:
OK, I thought that's what you meant.

We do have a problem with certain people on the RI forum - we call them the "crime reporters" (there are 2)- who post every crime that happens on a minute to minute basis. It's been quite annoying. All cities in the US are dealing with a recent uptick in crime. I think the police have been disheartened and discouraged from doing their jobs due to recent political movements.
Yea my mom and brother live in Woonsocket and Providence respectively and mention the crime and dirtbikes a lot. It seems that perception of Providence crime has often carried over the border into MA residents' opinion of Providence. Where I've always known its really not that bad. New Haven looks a lot nicer than its crime rate indicates. Because i don't have current connections in New Haven it's hard for me to say how it impacts the community there.

Old 04-25-2022, 09:04 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,834,913 times
Quote:
We do have a problem with certain people on the RI forum - we call them the "crime reporters" (there are 2)- who post every crime that happens on a minute to minute basis. It's been quite annoying.
Very annoying. I thought moderators could shut them down but maybe not so easy. The Massachusetts moderator allows unlimited racist and classist comments and at least one of the RI 'crime reporters' is just as busy putting up screaming tabloid headlines on the Mass forum. The Conn moderator can be defensive and argumentative but doesn't tolerate racist commentary (my impression anyway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
New Haven is easily the prettier city though...
Providence has the river and all the nice public spaces alongside, the statehouse, nice downtown area around Westminster St, College Hill... New Haven has good stuff too but I don't see that it's objectively better looking than Providence. New Haven's waterfront is pretty terrible by comparison, good food trucks notwithstanding.

Old 04-25-2022, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Very annoying. I thought moderators could shut them down but maybe not so easy. The Massachusetts moderator allows unlimited racist and classist comments and at least one of the RI 'crime reporters' is just as busy putting up screaming tabloid headlines on the Mass forum. The Conn moderator can be defensive and argumentative but doesn't tolerate racist commentary (my impression anyway).

Providence has the river and all the nice public spaces alongside, the statehouse, nice downtown area around Westminster St, College Hill... New Haven has good stuff too but I don't see that it's objectively better looking than Providence. New Haven's waterfront is pretty terrible by comparison, good food trucks notwithstanding.
That's true but the actual neighborhoods in New Haven are greener and more pleasant than Providence, for sure. Bigger and better skyline too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City