Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2022, 01:08 PM

94,158 posts, read 125,007,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
A literal all black neighborhood with that high of a MHHI is unique, but at the same time I can't help but glare at the huge gap with the per capita being $52,000. Not suggesting it's a low amount, but looking at comparable places in my county regarding per capita the MHHI is half of that or less.
I’m wondering if the bigger household and age averages has something to do with this as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2022, 03:15 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,225,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I’m wondering if the bigger household and age averages has something to do with this as well.
I do think the 3.5 persons per household and near retirement age median made an impact. Four people in a household making $52k individually amounts to over $200k, thus the per capita is a better gauge of the neighborhood's wealth in this scenario. From what I've seen, the per capita is typically 40-60% of the median income, aligning with a 2.5 persons household in the country.

Old 05-07-2022, 04:19 PM

37,925 posts, read 42,177,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
From what I see it's more of the latter.
Of course. The media doesn't profit from stories of Black success and progress; they traffick almost exclusively in Black suffering and despair and way too many of us are too eager to eat it up.

Old 05-08-2022, 08:43 AM

21,806 posts, read 12,992,309 times
Priced out of the city, Black Bostonians are finding their dream homes on the South Shore:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/05/...s-south-shore/

Six years ago, Kattia Ira was looking to move her family from Hyde Park to a larger home, with a bedroom for each of her three children and perhaps a spare. She wanted a fence, a yard, a grill, and deck. Maybe, some day, they would get a dog.

It would be her first home purchase. The market was tight, but Ira found exactly what she was looking for — about 20 miles south of Boston, in the working-class city of Brockton.

“We had never heard much about Brockton, but that’s where we ended up — and we’ve loved it,” said Ira, who still works in Boston and maintains ties there. Her children still see a pediatrician in Hyde Park.

Ira’s homebuying experience was a perfect prelude to her work: She is a real estate agent, specializing in helping other first-time homebuyers find their dream home. And increasingly, she said, they are Black buyers, like her, who find themselves priced out of their home neighborhoods of Hyde Park, Dorchester, Roxbury, and Mattapan, and find their place in familiar communities south of the city such as Randolph, Stoughton, and Brockton.

The housing market, there’s just high constraint right now, and there are no homes to buy in the city of Boston,” said Crawford, who said that roughly 80 percent of the 5,200 people who graduated from the Alliance’s first-time homebuyer instruction in Greater Boston in 2020 and 2021 were people of color, mostly from Dorchester, Roxbury, Hyde Park, and Mattapan.

Crawford said her agency, which hosted Wu’s press conference last month, does not track where graduates ultimately buy their first home, but she has heard from many who moved south of Boston — to Brockton, Randolph, and Stoughton, and, increasingly, as far as Taunton — all cities along the Route 24 highway corridor that leads into Boston.

Old 05-08-2022, 08:54 AM

21,806 posts, read 12,992,309 times
In addition to affordable housing prices, those cities offer another draw: the vibrant Black communities that have been built over the last decade, making them more appealing to Black Bostonians looking for a new place to live. If house hunters know someone in one of these gateway cities, have relatives there, or see more people who look like them, they are more comfortable moving there themselves, she said.

Finally, the Boston Globe HS written about this. This trend started in the early and 2000s and I guess it’s finally unavoidable to the point where they had to write about it.

The downtown is going through a renaissance,” said Robert Jenkins, head of the Brockton Redevelopment Authority, who cited a “trend” of people coming from Boston. Brockton, he said, has built a reputation for good schools and a “relaxed lifestyle,” with three golf courses and large parks.

“If you look at the city, if you see who’s buying homes, it’s people moving from Dorchester, Roxbury, Mattapan — to Brockton,” said Jenkins, praising the effect on the city’s business community and its diversity.

Shaleah Gilmer, a lifelong Brockton resident, said Black-owned businesses have been thriving, too. Three years ago she launched Black-Owned Brockton, a social media platform that promotes and supports the city’s small-business community, and she sees the community’s success in the number of small businesses opening up in new “brick and mortar” shops, creating a new face along business strips.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 05-08-2022 at 09:48 AM..

Old 05-08-2022, 09:03 AM

2,758 posts, read 2,446,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
WOW! What's going on in this one?

A median income of $236,053?
100% Black?

Very impressive!
Little Jamaica up there. So its likely that households are larger, folks make decent money, employed by the city or in white collar professions/medicine.

Edenwald has plenty of gangs and public housing (Edenwald Houses) so I am surprised at that median income.

It also borders other Jamaican neighborhoods in Wakefield and Eastchester and borders Mt Vernon which ckthankgod has highlighted previously.

Old 05-08-2022, 10:15 AM

13,764 posts, read 15,848,753 times
Quote:
So which area is the Gold Coast for NYC? The upper Bronx up to the northern suburbs or Queens? Which area has the most impressive median income block groups with the highest Black percentage?

Old 05-08-2022, 10:58 AM

2,758 posts, read 2,446,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
So which area is the Gold Coast for NYC? The upper Bronx up to the northern suburbs or Queens? Which area has the most impressive median income block groups with the highest Black percentage?
SE Queens

Old 05-08-2022, 02:57 PM

94,158 posts, read 125,007,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Little Jamaica up there. So its likely that households are larger, folks make decent money, employed by the city or in white collar professions/medicine.

Edenwald has plenty of gangs and public housing (Edenwald Houses) so I am surprised at that median income.

It also borders other Jamaican neighborhoods in Wakefield and Eastchester and borders Mt Vernon which ckthankgod has highlighted previously.
Yeah, it is an interesting neighborhood, as it looks like Seton Falls Park separates that area of the neighborhood from Edenwald Houses.

Also, I second that SE Queens is the "Gold Coast" for NYC, even if there are other areas in other parts of the city. SE Queens is essentially a decent sized city that is predominantly black and middle class if it was on its own.

Old 05-08-2022, 07:47 PM

14,343 posts, read 9,225,961 times
Quote:
Yeah, it is an interesting neighborhood, as it looks like Seton Falls Park separates that area of the neighborhood from Edenwald Houses.

Also, I second that SE Queens is the "Gold Coast" for NYC, even if there are other areas in other parts of the city. SE Queens is essentially a decent sized city that is predominantly black and middle class if it was on its own.
Isn't Jamaica in Southeast Queens?

Kinda makes me wonder how it got its name. I know it predates massive Caribbean immigration to that part of the borough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City