Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2018, 04:00 AM

63 posts, read 89,080 times

Advertisements

According to statistical atlas there are 55,000 black people in the dc area that make over $200,000 a year and 19,000 black people in Atlanta that make over $200,000 a year, but there is a lack of visibility among blacks at luxury malls in DC as opposed to Atlanta

Let's look at places Lenox Mall in ATL and City Center in DC,you are more likely to see blacks at Lenox and more likely to see whites at city center.

Going up if looking at shops at buckhead, you see no black people there and none at atlantic station

Last edited by jasonongoco; 03-31-2018 at 04:18 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 07:01 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,397,268 times
People try to compare Atlanta wealth to DC wealth but imo there honestly is no comparison in terms of the actual numbers.

Also, in DC people aren’t as flashy - you could live next door to a family with a HHI of $280,000 and not even know it. I liked Atlanta when I visited, it definitely felt flashy but flashy doesn’t always equate to having more money or a high networth.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:22 AM

63 posts, read 89,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lD8modem View Post
I didn't think that all black people are monolithic in their behavior, values, style, choices, expenses or family/home life....not to mention "spending habits"....just like all whites, browns, or greens. I certainly didn't think that residents of Atlanta or suburban Atlanta are much like the residents in and around the DC corridor of DC itself, suburban VA, or suburban MD.

Where does this thinking/assessments/comparison come from?? LOL
I agree, but if Atlanta blacks had the wealth of DC, you would see them every week in Hermes

Old 03-31-2018, 07:46 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,396,737 times
I’m a huge shopper and love fashion and have shopped at both places when visiting.

Lenox Mall seems to be a trendy mall that is widely known to black folks. When people visit in or arrive to Atlanta that is definately the mall that their going to check out first, especially if they listen to hip hop.

DC on the other hand sort of felt like NYC in a sense because mall shopping didn’t really seem huge to the black folks I know down there.

Just like in the NYC a lot of the shopping was done in urban dense areas so I did see many black shoppers in the Georgetown area.

The first time I stepped in DC I know for a fact a “MALL” wasn’t referred to me when I wanted to check out the shopping scene!

Old 03-31-2018, 07:48 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonongoco View Post
According to statistical atlas there are 55,000 black people in the dc area that make over $200,000 a year and 19,000 black people in Atlanta that make over $200,000 a year, but there is a lack of visibility among blacks at luxury malls in DC as opposed to Atlanta

Let's look at places Lenox Mall in ATL and City Center in DC,you are more likely to see blacks at Lenox and more likely to see whites at city center.

Going up if looking at shops at buckhead, you see no black people there and none at atlantic station
You are neglecting to factor in the COL which ultimately determines how much disposable income people have to spend at luxury malls and such.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:21 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
I don't know the purpose/utility in such obscure comparison. Asians aren't compared in such way, and neither are Hispanics, and certainly not whites. What's the deal anyway?
'we can afford to give more money back to (you know who) than you can.' It's about spending money on trinkets at the end of the day.

That's basically it.

While we're making threads like this, black people are getting pushed out of both cities.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
I don't know the purpose/utility in such obscure comparison. Asians aren't compared in such way, and neither are Hispanics, and certainly not whites. What's the deal anyway?
And there's that.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:

Wait a second, I just caught something. Did you just say there are no Black people at Atlantic Station?????

And you'll see a good bit of Black folks at Pentagon City.Mall in Crystal City.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:50 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,752,000 times
Quote:

I think the reason you don't see a large concentration of black people at one shopping area is because we have so many high-end shopping areas so everyone is spread out.

We have not only City Center and Georgetown in the city, but U St/14th, Tysons, Westfield Montgomery, Chevy Chase/Friendship Heights, Pentagon City, and all the other mid-level shopping centers in the area.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:57 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,396,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
I think the reason you don't see a large concentration of black people at one shopping area is because we have so many high-end shopping areas so everyone is spread out.

We have not only City Center and Georgetown in the city, but U St/14th, Tysons, Westfield Montgomery, Chevy Chase/Friendship Heights, Pentagon City, and all the other mid-level shopping centers in the area.
Yup these are the places I shop at when I’m down there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City