Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 11:11 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
You know I've always heard that people that come from nothing and become rich are more cautious with their money because they had to work so hard for it. I don't believe that's true. My parents came from nothing and when they hit it big, they spent like crazy. Part of the reason was because they knew more money was coming in, another was they wanted their peers to know they made it. It was kind of scary.
Actually, it’s the opposite. People who come from nothing are more likely to spend money on flashy items because they’re not used to nice things. Most rich people in DC don’t spend much money on depreciating items. A lot of rich people in DC drive a Prius for instance. They are frugal and smart with their investment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 09:06 AM

12,812 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Actually, it’s the opposite. People who come from nothing are more likely to spend money on flashy items because they’re not used to nice things. Most rich people in DC don’t spend much money on depreciating items. A lot of rich people in DC drive a Prius for instance. They are frugal and smart with their investment.
Yea. Millionaire next door.

Old 04-07-2018, 11:52 AM

12,812 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
Yeah pretty much. It seems to be really bad here in the DC area from what I have experienced. I often get excluded from circles and that isn't from not trying. If you aren't part of some greek organization or part of a megachurch you just won't cut it.
DC? Or you mean Atlanta? I don't think fratties run DC and certainly religious types aren't that common.

Old 04-07-2018, 12:02 PM

63 posts, read 89,074 times
Quote:
DC? Or you mean Atlanta? I don't think fratties run DC and certainly religious types aren't that common.
Black Frats run DC that's how blacks get Govt jobs in DC

Old 04-07-2018, 03:00 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonongoco View Post
Black Frats run DC that's how blacks get Govt jobs in DC
There are plenty of Black folks with good government jobs in metro DC who aren't part of the Divine Nine.

Old 04-07-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
You think Black religious folks in DC (or any city for that matter) is an uncommon phenomenon?

Old 04-08-2018, 02:13 AM

63 posts, read 89,074 times
I notice that DC is the only city where blacks have a majority rich black area near a rich white area in a city center, hearing takoma park(20012) is black beverly hills

Old 04-08-2018, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonongoco View Post
I notice that DC is the only city where blacks have a majority rich black area near a rich white area in a city center, hearing takoma park(20012) is black beverly hills
I've never heard Takoma Park called that and I live right next door. But it is a majority Black neighborhood with a Black median household income of $116.7K. https://statisticalatlas.com/neighbo...usehold-Income

Old 04-08-2018, 10:00 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,447,520 times
DC is more conservative. DC honestly reminds me a lot of Cincinnati, in terms of style, or maybe Chicago. What the OP is looking for is more like how the scene in a city like Detroit plays out. Or at least back in the day not sure how many people, of any race, are making $200,000 or more in Detroit these days.

Fashion isn't that important anyway. Nice if you can afford it but I agree in DC where rents are a lot higher than they are in Atlanta the point of it is more so just being in the city than showing off. Experiences may also vary in Northern Virginia or on the Maryland side as well. If you're paying thousands in rent what good is it to wear clothes that cost as much unless you are truly wealthy.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:07 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,447,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
People making under 200k talking about people making 200K....hmmmm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City