Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 08:58 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,513,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonongoco View Post
According to statistical atlas there are 55,000 black people in the dc area that make over $200,000 a year and 19,000 black people in Atlanta that make over $200,000 a year, but there is a lack of visibility among blacks at luxury malls in DC as opposed to Atlanta

Let's look at places Lenox Mall in ATL and City Center in DC,you are more likely to see blacks at Lenox and more likely to see whites at city center.

Going up if looking at shops at buckhead, you see no black people there and none at atlantic station
Obviously DC is a wealthier metropolitan area, but what is the deal with this income vs stuff? Just the other week folks were talking about this with regards to Buckhead. I want to know how many black millionaires there are in each metro area. High income vs wealth are different. Does anyone have the statistics? I don’t care enough to search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 11:55 AM

63 posts, read 89,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Obviously DC is a wealthier metropolitan area, but what is the deal with this income vs stuff? Just the other week folks were talking about this with regards to Buckhead. I want to know how many black millionaires there are in each metro area. High income vs wealth are different. Does anyone have the statistics? I don’t care enough to search.
The highest median income in Prince georges county is $500,000 a year https://statisticalatlas.com/county/...usehold-Income

but in DC , highest median income in black rich dc Takoma is $750,000, pretty much blacks in dc have half the income of their richest white counter parts

Old 03-31-2018, 12:01 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,772,368 times
Buying high end fashion and expensive cars which are both depreciating assets versus investing in real estate or stocks and bonds is the reason black wealth is still so far behind the wealth of our counterparts from other races. We just can’t get out of our own way even in 2018.....

If African Americans in DC and Atlanta would have held onto the homes they owned in the city instead of selling and moving to the suburbs, we would have real wealth. Look at the real estate markets now.

It’s just sad because African Americans all over the country seem to always be a day late and a dollar short. White flight led wealth out to the suburbs in the 1950s and now wealth is headed back into the city, but we still don’t get it. Here we are selling for a windfall instead of keeping these homes and renting them etc. and go buy these big suburban homes that will not retain their value. The suburban poverty is rising every year and will continue to get worse. These cheap homes in the suburbs will not be worth anything in 20 years and we will once again be wondering what happened.

Old 03-31-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Buying high end fashion and expensive cars which are both depreciating assets versus investing in real estate or stocks and bonds is the reason black wealth is still so far behind the wealth of our counterparts from other races. We just can’t get out of our own way even in 2018.....

If African Americans in DC and Atlanta would have held onto the homes they owned in the city instead of selling and moving to the suburbs, we would have real wealth. Look at the real estate markets now.
real estate market in dc and atlanta only increased because rich whites moved in

Old 03-31-2018, 12:06 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,404,339 times
Quote:

It’s just sad because African Americans all over the country seem to always be a day late and a dollar short. White flight led wealth out to the suburbs in the 1950s and now wealth is headed back into the city, but we still don’t get it. Here we are selling for a windfall instead of keeping these homes and renting them etc. and go buy these big suburban homes that will not retain their value. The suburbs are getting poorest every year and will continue to get worse.
I agree with you 100% brother!

Old 03-31-2018, 12:09 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,772,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonongoco View Post
real estate market in dc and atlanta only increased because rich whites moved in
That is true and it continues to happen, but that’s why those who are left should hold on to ours homes now and use the equity to build more wealth by investing it.

Old 03-31-2018, 12:55 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,982,292 times
Quote:

It’s just sad because African Americans all over the country seem to always be a day late and a dollar short. White flight led wealth out to the suburbs in the 1950s and now wealth is headed back into the city, but we still don’t get it. Here we are selling for a windfall instead of keeping these homes and renting them etc. and go buy these big suburban homes that will not retain their value. The suburban poverty is rising every year and will continue to get worse. These cheap homes in the suburbs will not be worth anything in 20 years and we will once again be wondering what happened.
You're dropping gems with this post

Old 03-31-2018, 01:23 PM

the government has no motivation to improve schools in DC or Atl because whites in DC send their kids to majority white pubic and private schools, so how will blacks get a windfall of wealth, since blacks in Atlanta have a median income of $30K and blacks in DC have a median income of $40K, how will they benefit from rich whites moving in, if anything property taxes will increase and rent forcing poor blacks to move to the poor border cities of PG county, and forcing rich blacks to move to Bowie, MD area, and surrounding rich counties, and schools will become even worse in pg county because of the influx of poor uneducated blacks, also increasing crime.

Last edited by JMT; 04-07-2018 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: Please keep this about just Atlanta and DC.

Old 03-31-2018, 05:00 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,753,437 times
Quote:

I have to agree. My coworker who is also black like me chastised me for buying an older home in up and coming neighborhood (which has increased a lot since I have been here) instead of buying a huge new McMansion like he did out in ex-urban Waldorf. He also questioned why I was still driving around my old Toyota instead of getting a Benz like him. I told him I like being debt free. I think a lot of black people that grew up not having a lot get a taste of money and go crazy with on the luxury items, but they end up working longer and harder to maintain that "Keep up with the Jones'" lifestyle.

Old 03-31-2018, 05:02 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,563,160 times
Quote:

Yeah, true. The revolution will not be televised. It has to happen in one place first before results are seen. I never understood why we place more value in making other people rich instead of making it yourself. High end Euros don't even want melanated people wearing their stuff but they tolerate it because the green is good.

EDIT: There's more money in DC, I'll go with that for the sake of the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City