Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2018, 12:49 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,423,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonongoco View Post
DC is Black New York and Atl is Black Los Angeles
Very good comparison I've never thought about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 01:20 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,403,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Yeah, I mean I guess what the OP is on about says more about Atlanta than it does about DC. I would rather classy and sophisticated than being loud in Versace. I get the point but I don't get the reasoning to make the comparison.
No wonder black professionals in DC and NYC seem to get along so well.

Old 04-08-2018, 02:02 PM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
No wonder black professionals in DC and NYC seem to get along so well.
Or it's probably because those two cities are in closer proximity to each other and have a fair level of interchange on a regular basis. Black professionals in all three cities are likely to have similar pedigrees.

Old 04-08-2018, 04:43 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,403,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Or it's probably because those two cities are in closer proximity to each other and have a fair level of interchange on a regular basis. Black professionals in all three cities are likely to have similar pedigrees.
Well you right about that DC and NYC black professionals travel to each others scenes a lot!

Old 04-08-2018, 09:26 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,575,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

Speaking of racial breakdown. Has anybody noticed how truly worldly diverse Tyson's Corner Mall is? Every time I'm at that mall, I see people from every part of the world in that mall. Only everybody is dressed nice etc. It's a very fashion conscious place more like Europe or something vs America where most people dress down when out in public. I think Tyson's would be similar to a mall in Dubai, London etc.
I've been to malls all across this country from coast to coast literally, and outside the U.S.. I've said this before, Tysons Corner Center is the most diverse shopping mall base I've ever seen. It's like the melting pot Mecca of shopping malls in every sense. You literally at any visit will come across virtually every major nationality or religion in just a 20-30 min walkthrough of the mall, it's legit that diverse.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:38 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Just because someone is in a high end mall doesn't mean they're buying anything at the mall.

What the OP needs to understand is that Lenox is a hangout/go-to destination for many people in Atlanta. It's referenced in countless songs and it's probably on the short list of places for "things to do" along with the Aquarium, the King Center and Fox Theater. For a long time, it was their equivalent of U Street/South Street/Ocean Drive since there were few places with any significant pedestrian activity in the city. That's been changing with the creation and/or revitalization of commercial/entertainment districts all over the city, but Lenox still remains a favorite hangout spot for locals and tourists alike. People can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Grove in LA served a similar function before gentrification really started taking off.

I think you see the same dynamic at play with the new MGM at the National Harbor. People will just go there to hangout.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:16 AM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Just because someone is in a high end mall doesn't mean they're buying anything at the mall.

What the OP needs to understand is that Lenox is a hangout/go-to destination for many people in Atlanta. It's referenced in countless songs and it's probably on the short list of places for "things to do" along with the Aquarium, the King Center and Fox Theater. For a long time, it was their equivalent of U Street/South Street/Ocean Drive since there were few places with any significant pedestrian activity in the city. That's been changing with the creation and/or revitalization of commercial/entertainment districts all over the city, but Lenox still remains a favorite hangout spot for locals and tourists alike. People can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Grove in LA served a similar function before gentrification really started taking off.

I think you see the same dynamic at play with the new MGM at the National Harbor. People will just go there to hangout.
Same with Atlantic Station.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:21 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,004,545 times
Quote:
Yeah, this idea that upper middle and wealth Black professionals in Atlanta are different than how that same type of person in DC or NYC is quite silly.

The flashy side of Atlanta for the most part is limited to people who stunting (on money that came from a non-regular source) or in the entertainment business. The average Joe Black that works in finance isn't going out in a lime green sports car to show off how much money he's making.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:22 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,004,545 times
Quote:
I know it's only natural to an extent, but sometimes we as Black folks really can't afford to be as tribal as we are.
And yet here we are. SMH

Old 04-09-2018, 10:31 AM

63 posts, read 89,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Yeah, this idea that upper middle and wealth Black professionals in Atlanta are different than how that same type of person in DC or NYC is quite silly.

The flashy side of Atlanta for the most part is limited to people who stunting (on money that came from a non-regular source) or in the entertainment business. The average Joe Black that works in finance isn't going out in a lime green sports car to show off how much money he's making.
From my understanding Atlanta black wealth is different from DC black wealth, with wealth in DC being centered in Prince George's County and rich black in small numbers spread out in smaller numbers in other counties in the DMV

Black wealth and Atlanta, like DC is segregated from rich whites, but it's more spread out in different counties with Fayette county being the center of black wealth in Atlanta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City