Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2018, 04:46 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,459,538 times

Advertisements

We talk a good game about Blacks staying put in cities but how many of you, once you acquired wealth, stayed in the same Section 8 neighborhoods or poor working class areas dealing with gunshots at all hours of the day, broken windows theory, vacant blocks which is still a thing in the Rust Belt, stop and frisk, etc etc. Once I got out of s* cities like that I stayed out, no plans to move back in.

What is a Black person supposed to do when no one wants to hire them because of their zip code, etc do in those situations, especially when a city stops providing essential services or wants to charge more for those services because it is not cost effective for them to do so when you're the only person living on a city block. You're lucky if you can get cable internet at that point. Doubt many of you on the other side really want to go back to DC, Baltimore, Cleveland, Detroit etc back in the eighties and nineties at the peak of their situations. Yeah you can't buy back into a nice neighborhood in Chicago or NYC because you can't afford it but that is just sour grapes. Maybe Blacks can generate some wealth wherever they're at, or maybe they can buy back into those same neighborhoods. Does not mean that they have to live there.

No one wants to talk about the discrimination and redlining that occurred across this country when banks were trying to prevent us from living in these exact same neighborhoods back in the fifties. It was never opened up for anyone to acquire wealth, and the average Black person in those neighborhoods rented anyway. If you're renting in Harlem back in the nineteen twenties yes you could have stayed throughout the hell of the fifties through the eighties but you're still renting. Not like you can flip that property anyway. If people had something invested in their properties it makes sense to try to stay and fight but that isn't the situation for most of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 05:21 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
We talk a good game about Blacks staying put in cities but how many of you, once you acquired wealth, stayed in the same Section 8 neighborhoods or poor working class areas dealing with gunshots at all hours of the day, broken windows theory, vacant blocks which is still a thing in the Rust Belt, stop and frisk, etc etc. Once I got out of s* cities like that I stayed out, no plans to move back in.

What is a Black person supposed to do when no one wants to hire them because of their zip code, etc do in those situations, especially when a city stops providing essential services or wants to charge more for those services because it is not cost effective for them to do so when you're the only person living on a city block. You're lucky if you can get cable internet at that point. Doubt many of you on the other side really want to go back to DC, Baltimore, Cleveland, Detroit etc back in the eighties and nineties at the peak of their situations. Yeah you can't buy back into a nice neighborhood in Chicago or NYC because you can't afford it but that is just sour grapes. Maybe Blacks can generate some wealth wherever they're at, or maybe they can buy back into those same neighborhoods. Does not mean that they have to live there.

No one wants to talk about the discrimination and redlining that occurred across this country when banks were trying to prevent us from living in these exact same neighborhoods back in the fifties. It was never opened up for anyone to acquire wealth, and the average Black person in those neighborhoods rented anyway. If you're renting in Harlem back in the nineteen twenties yes you could have stayed throughout the hell of the fifties through the eighties but you're still renting. Not like you can flip that property anyway. If people had something invested in their properties it makes sense to try to stay and fight but that isn't the situation for most of us.
The problem with the first part of this post is that Black people don’t necessarily live in city neighborhoods that you describe, even in the Rust Belt. While that aspect is real, there is also another side that never gets told or is minimized within the general narrative.

Old 04-15-2018, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
The problem with the first part of this post is that Black people don’t necessarily live in city neighborhoods that you describe, even in the Rust Belt. While that aspect is real, there is also another side that never gets told or is minimized within the general narrative.
I understand where people are coming from but I think that the general narrative makes it a lot easier than it seems. We all know that the early aughts were about the McMansion and upper middle class living in suburbia. It was a second wave of suburban dwellers after the first wave of returning WWII vets when suburbia was racially segregated because no one would give a Black person money to live out there. The marketing was overwhelming. I do not fault a middle class Black person for wanting the dream for moving out there.

If you did not see it coming why complain about it now? We're talking about people that want to be around individuals of the same socioeconomic situation that they're in, and that was in suburbia at that time. Just like anyone else in that situation I do not get why people expect Black people to do anything different.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:27 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
I understand where people are coming from but I think that the general narrative makes it a lot easier than it seems. We all know that the early aughts were about the McMansion and upper middle class living in suburbia. It was a second wave of suburban dwellers after the first wave of returning WWII vets when suburbia was racially segregated because no one would give a Black person money to live out there. The marketing was overwhelming. I do not fault a middle class Black person for wanting the dream for moving out there.

If you did not see it coming why complain about it now? We're talking about people that want to be around individuals of the same socioeconomic situation that they're in, and that was in suburbia at that time. Just like anyone else in that situation I do not get why people expect Black people to do anything different.
I see what you are saying. I’m just saying that there are also those that just went to neighborhoods like SE Queens, Sherwood Forest/Palmer Woods/the University District in Detroit, Morgan Park and Kenwood in Chicago, Hamlin Park in Buffalo, Mount Airy in Philadelphia and even Miller Beach in Gary.

There is another part that just seems to get glossed over for some reason.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:48 AM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siratras View Post
heck, lots of blacks I know love to self-segregate and seem pretty insular and almost racist in pursuit of self-actualization and even wealth at times...IMHO
We've tried to integrate everything time after time after time and when we do, White folks flee. After a while, we get the hint and you can call it "self-segregation," being "insular" or "racist" or whatever. We have always been the ones to initiate integration efforts in this country and are usually (not always, but mostly) shunned in doing so. I'll be damned if l let people make it seem like WE'RE the problem here.

https://qz.com/1251974/white-people-...economic-ones/

Old 04-15-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
We've tried to integrate everything time after time after time and when we do, White folks flee. After a while, we get the hint and you can call it "self-segregation," being "insular" or "racist" or whatever. We have always been the ones to initiate integration efforts in this country and are usually (not always, but mostly) shunned in doing so. I'll be damned if l let people make it seem like WE'RE the problem here.
I'm not sure what people want. If we do come into a neighborhood they'll leave if we're renters. If we're paying a mortgage they'll leave if we do not make them feel good about themselves and integrate ourselves into the neighborhood. A Black person can't just move in and mind their own business.

I see it Lafayette all the time. Black renters moving in. Whites renting the property out. White homeowners moving out. I used to hear it all the time but to actually see it with my own eyes brings it home.

So I can understand it when we moved from wherever to Atlanta suburbs and were able to move into a nice upper middle class suburb that was predominately Black. Not my thing but I can see where people are coming from with that.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:14 AM

63 posts, read 89,219 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what people want. If we do come into a neighborhood they'll leave if we're renters. If we're paying a mortgage they'll leave if we do not make them feel good about themselves and integrate ourselves into the neighborhood. A Black person can't just move in and mind their own business.

I see it Lafayette all the time. Black renters moving in. Whites renting the property out. White homeowners moving out. I used to hear it all the time but to actually see it with my own eyes brings it home.

So I can understand it when we moved from wherever to Atlanta suburbs and were able to move into a nice upper middle class suburb that was predominately Black. Not my thing but I can see where people are coming from with that.
100 year penalty for being black

Old 04-15-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonongoco View Post
100 year penalty for being black
?

Old 04-15-2018, 11:00 AM

63 posts, read 89,219 times
Quote:
?
https://www.citylab.com/solutions/20...-black/526731/

Old 04-15-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonongoco View Post
Oh okay. Definitely. But you have a lot of pull yourself by your bootstrap apologists on here that don't like to talk about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City